GDT: carla

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm not an overly religious person, but I find your comment kind of, well, odd. MANY professional athletes are, frankly, the type of people that if they weren't pro athletes, we'd want to stay away from. I find that Hockey is better than other sports, but still. So here we have a kid that is grounded, mature, and has faith and he's 'weird'? Can't for the life of me how anyone would consider this "weird".

Based on the comments below, isn't this exactly the type of guy we WANT to have as a professional athlete?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article119932118.html

I was mostly kidding, but he does come off as Ned Flanders-esque. Much better to be around than Ray Rice, to be sure, but a little weird.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Ward has also had a cross on at least one of his helmets.

cam_ward_cross.jpg

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
a) Cam Ward is also pretty forward with his faith. And this team is in NC. I can't imagine Slavin's faith is an issue.

b) My comment about them having personal issues wasn't serious at all.

I think EStaal has mentioned his own faith in past interviews as well. Would make sense considering he and Ward are friends.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was mostly kidding, but he does come off as Ned Flanders-esque. Much better to be around than Ray Rice, to be sure, but a little weird.

So mature, generally all around good guy is weird because he's religious? Got it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So Slavin is from nearby where I've been living the last four years, and I play at a small rink im sure he played at quite a bit growing up because there's only a few up here. This summer there was a poster of him up, it was an advertisement for his hockey summer camp that is specifically for players "of faith". I thought that was an interesting idea, I have no idea how well it did. He also went to Colorado College, and Colorado Springs is very conservative and religious. I would be surprised if that is a coincidence.

Doesn't matter to me in any way but he does seem to be very strong into that whole thing. I forget he's from here sometimes, to be honest. I almost fell over when I showed up for a drop in and walked into this big poster of him! You don't see much of the canes round here, it was the last thing I expected. Because no one around here follows the canes remotely you never hear anyone talk about him, to be honest. Kind of sad, he should be a local hero.

Ps. I took a pic back then and just looked at it. He was the featured instructor, it's not his camp and it emphasizes both hockey and Christian living.

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
So mature, generally all around good guy is weird because he's religious? Got it.

I'm not sure why you keep poking cptjeff about this. Maturity has nothing to do with it, because it's not about his character. I agree that it's weird when someone interjects faith conversationally (honestly, more toward the "awkward" side of the continuum), and I think it's weird that you think that's weird.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not sure why you keep poking cptjeff about this. Maturity has nothing to do with it, because it's not about his character. I agree that it's weird when someone interjects faith conversationally (honestly, more toward the "awkward" side of the continuum), and I think it's weird that you think that's weird.

IMO, you can't separate the maturity and his character from his faith, because based on the articles I've read (I've never met Slavin), it seems to me that his faith is a big reason why he's so mature and humble. In fact, that's the main message of the whole N&O article, he's grounded because of his faith. But lets set that aside.

I poked him because of the statement "weirdly Jesusly". Why? Because I find it odd that we deem someone "weird" because of their faith or expressing that faith (it was clear in the article he's not throwing it in people's face). If someone referred to a person as "weird" because of their sexual preference, all hell would break loose on the person making a statement such as that. Your point about it potentially being awkward when brought up is fair as I can see how that would be to some people, but I still find absolutely nothing weird about a person who has a deep faith like Slavin. That's what I'm disagreeing with.

To be clear, I'm not deeply religious like Slavin. I haven't stepped foot in a church in years so I'm not coming at this from a standpoint of a deeply religious person.

EDIT: and if you really find it weird that I think there's nothing wrong with a guy being of deep faith and while not shying away from discussing it, but also not "throwing it in people's faces", well, then I gladly will accept being called "weird". In fairness, my kids call me weird all the time, but that's for other reasons. :laugh:

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
You guys didn't know Ward has had crosses on his helmet ever since he came into the league? I mean I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to see on TV but he's been here since 2005, surely someone else noticed this right? He's even spoken about it a couple of times. Glen Wesley IIRC is a Baptist and mentioned it throughout his career when asked.

I'm positive there are many more like Slavin in the NHL, they just don't talk about it publicly.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
You guys didn't know Ward has had crosses on his helmet ever since he came into the league? I mean I know it's not the easiest thing in the world to see on TV but he's been here since 2005, surely someone else noticed this right? He's even spoken about it a couple of times. Glen Wesley IIRC is a Baptist and mentioned it throughout his career when asked.

I'm positive there are many more like Slavin in the NHL, they just don't talk about it publicly.

I guess I never noticed the Ward thing.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I've noticed Ward's masks having that on there too. I've heard a few players talk about their religion over the years too. Not necessarily my thing, but it doesn't bother me or strike me as weird, even if Slavin does seem a bit more into it than most. None of them seem to shove it down your throat, and even he just spoke about it because someone wanted to write an article about it.

Also, there should be some sort of flashing icon that shows you when a thread will contain a CI picture so you can...mentally prepare.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Late 70's and early 80's about 90% of the US population self-identified as Christian and last I saw this was now down to ~70%...still a very high number, but a sizable drop.

The brand has taken a beating...much of it self-inflicted wounds...Catholic child abuse, hypocritical televangelists, extreme off-shoots that boycott funerals, etc...all that stuff has done a number of overall image.

I am not religious, but I do feel odd/sad when good people are slighted a bit due to their faith...from my seat in the park, this is noticeable shift in a cultural norm in the past decades.

On a related topic, did anyone see this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/12/09/pope-francis-fecal-fetish/95189744/

The times, they are a changin

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I enjoyed watching the Carolina Hurricanes defeat the Los Angeles Kings.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Late 70's and early 80's about 90% of the US population self-identified as Christian and last I saw this was now down to ~70%...still a very high number, but a sizable drop.

The brand has taken a beating...much of it self-inflicted wounds...Catholic child abuse, hypocritical televangelists, extreme off-shoots that boycott funerals, etc...all that stuff has done a number of overall image.

I am not religious, but I do feel odd/sad when good people are slighted a bit due to their faith...from my seat in the park, this is noticeable shift in a cultural norm in the past decades.

On a related topic, did anyone see this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/12/09/pope-francis-fecal-fetish/95189744/

The times, they are a changin

I grew up and currently survive in an overly religious family. The main reason they're taking a beating is they aren't willing to adapt with the times. The philosophy is everyone's wrong but me, and that bleeds into all areas of their life. It's sad really. In 50 years when the percentage is 50 or less, they will still be saying don't worry, we don't need to change or accept change, it's them that are wrong not us. Afterall, many of them take the most extreme parts of the Bible and use it as a life code, and ammunition for bringing judgement upon others.

/rant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad