Confirmed with Link: Carl Hagelin signed (4 years, 4m AAV)

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
''the money`s in Bob, you`re good to pay him''

LOL

This one is fair rather than good.

I agree. I would have never paid Hagelin more than Silfverberg personally. He's an amazing two-way player and top PKer but he's more of a top of the line 3rd liner (while silfverberg is a legit 2nd liner). Guess buying UFA years added to the AAV (which we couldn't accomplish with Silf).

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
If the Rangers weren't cap crunched I wouldn't have minded having Hags on that contract. He is an extremely useful utility player who you can generally put on a line with anybody and expect decent results.

How do you guys anticipate he'll be used?

Oct 18, 2011
too much for a middle 6 tweener
that's more than silf, and i think silf will be much better moving forward
i hope i am wrong

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hagelin actually had as much ES points as Kesler last year. And Marleau. It was good for tied 86th in the league amongst forwards. Amongs top line territory you might say? Well not sure about that. It was also one less than Bonino and the same as... Winnik. Yeah, Winnik scored as much on ES as Kesler and Marleau. While he does score on ES, he doesn`t have the natural offensive skill that you would like for a top 6 player. But he does get on a score sheet, somehow. He tips in a lot and some of those goals are just when he scores in almost an empty net when his linemates does a well job.
Watching game 1 of Rangers playoff series vs Pens, i can see Hagelin definitely saw his time vs Crosby and Malkin so can`t say he was playing constantly vs weak opposition i guess.

Overall - we still don`t have a true top6 LW, but well, Hagelin is not a bad player. We have Maroon who has good chemistry with the Twins and 2 good 3d liners in Cogliano and Hagelin + Sekac who although have a potential to be a top 6 guy, haven`t proved that yet.

I could see also Hagelin seeing a lot of time with Rakell and Cogliano playing with Kes because of chemistry.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hagelin statistics in Anaheim

Ok, while it is not completely comperable of course, i will (still) compare some of the most representative Hags stats last season with the Rangers and the stats with our forwards and i will do that stressing also Beleskey`s (since Hagelin is technically replacing him) and Cogliano`s (who is very comparable player in the same position and will compete with him for ice time) stats. Cogs can also do RW once in a while though). So let`s go. Remember, to take this with a grain of salt.

In the brackets behind Hagelin`s stats is his position last year compared to Rangers forwards

ES ice time/GP
3 Kesler 14:45
4 Silfverberg 13:18
... Hagelin 13:11 (4)
5 Cogliano 12:50
6 Beleskey 12:40

SH ice time/GP
1 Kesler 2:12
... Hagelin 1:57 (2)
2 Thompson 1:48
3 Silfverberg 1:45
5 Cogliano 1:40
9 Beleskey 0:15

Points at ES
1 Getzlaf 55
2 Perry 48
3 Kesler 33
... Hagelin 33 (8)
4 Silfverberg 32
5 Beleskey 28
7 Cogliano 26

Rangers scored more in general so Hagelin might have seen a bit of a drop in Anaheim, actually

PS
And to those who say Hagelin will score a lot on the breakaways, or PK - he had only one point on PK last season, which was an assist.

Just to give you an idea

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If the pattern holds, there'll be a Puck Daddy article questioning the value of the contract very soon. Although since Hagelin came from the East, where the Yahoo writers may have actually seen him, perhaps there won't be.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Bit more than I was hoping/expected. Would rather give Hagelin 4x4 than Beleskey, though.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Congrats,

Enjoy watching this kid skate over the next 4 years, because it will be a treat. Regardless of the AAV and what he'll provide the team (and he will provide enough), its just a flat out joy watching Carl Hagelin play the game.

He's got good positioning, he's surprisingly good on the wall, everyone knows he's got greasy lightning-speed but when you watch him skate every night it becomes impressive as all hell. If you currently play the game or have at one point, it's a humbling experience. A lot of Rangers fans are going to miss seeing this guy buzz around the rink. Enjoy it.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Ok, while it is not completely comperable of course, i will (still) compare some of the most representative Hags stats last season with the Rangers and the stats with our forwards and i will do that stressing also Beleskey`s (since Hagelin is technically replacing him) and Cogliano`s (who is very comparable player in the same position and will compete with him for ice time) stats. Cogs can also do RW once in a while though). So let`s go. Remember, to take this with a grain of salt.

In the brackets behind Hagelin`s stats is his position last year compared to Rangers forwards

ES ice time/GP
3 Kesler 14:45
4 Silfverberg 13:18
... Hagelin 13:11 (4)
5 Cogliano 12:50
6 Beleskey 12:40

SH ice time/GP
1 Kesler 2:12
... Hagelin 1:57 (2)
2 Thompson 1:48
3 Silfverberg 1:45
5 Cogliano 1:40
9 Beleskey 0:15

Points at ES
1 Getzlaf 55
2 Perry 48
3 Kesler 33
... Hagelin 33 (8)
4 Silfverberg 32
5 Beleskey 28
7 Cogliano 26

Rangers scored more in general so Hagelin might have seen a bit of a drop in Anaheim, actually

PS
And to those who say Hagelin will score a lot on the breakaways, or PK - he had only one point on PK last season, which was an assist.

Just to give you an idea

I constantly see criticism from Rags fans that he can frequently get on breakaways, but he can't finish to save his life. I haven't watched enough videos to really get a solid impression on that though.

Last edited:

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
I constantly see the criticism from Rags fans that he can frequently get on breakaways, but he can't finish to save his life. I haven't watched enough videos to really get a solid impression on that though.
That makes me think of Cogs, and I love Cogs.

Hopefully he and Hags trade off their once-in-a-blue-moon breakaway finishes so those rare successes are spread out throughout the season. But either way, having two Coglianos should make for some entertaining hockey, frustrating breakaway misses or no.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Even if Cogs or Hagelin don't finish on their breakaway attempts, they definitely force the opposing team to pay attention to them. That kind of speed backs the D off, and that opens up gaps for other players. For Hagelin, that could mean a bit of extra space for Silfverberg and Kesler.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'll echo most of the comments in here, I think this is a fair deal. I believe it buys up his first three UFA years and I'm fairly certain an effective player like Hagelin would fetch $4M or more on the open market.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Solid contract, not fantastic but not terrible either. I'll take it.

Exactly, it's solid. He has a little more production under his belt so he got a slight bump over Silf's deal, seems about right. Looks like we get to revisit this summer of signing Swedes (say that 10 times fast!) in 2019.

Happy times. Hopefully Murray can nail down Hampus mid-season, avoid any offer sheet hassles next summer.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Even if Cogs or Hagelin don't finish on their breakaway attempts, they definitely force the opposing team to pay attention to them. That kind of speed backs the D off, and that opens up gaps for other players. For Hagelin, that could mean a bit of extra space for Silfverberg and Kesler.

Came here to post something similar to this. Would you rather have a player a la Cogs/Hags get breakaways and not score, or simply not have the ability to get a breakaway? As mentioned, defenders are on alert when players with the speed and ability to create scoring opportunities with that speed are on the ice.

Decent contract. Meh about it.

andyolly

Jun 4, 2014
SoCal
I'm happy with the money, I think it's fair at worst for both sides. I'm even happier with the term, though. I'm gonna enjoy watching Silf and Hagelin work together for the next few years a lot.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
If the Rangers weren't cap crunched I wouldn't have minded having Hags on that contract. He is an extremely useful utility player who you can generally put on a line with anybody and expect decent results.

How do you guys anticipate he'll be used?

Honestly, he'll probably get paired with Kesler and Silfverberg and create a terrifying shut down line, but still be able to score.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Honestly, he'll probably get paired with Kesler and Silfverberg and create a terrifying shut down line, but still be able to score.

That sounds like an excellent line that will win you a fair number of hockey games. Hags to recover dump-ins and work the corners, Silfverberg as your skill guy, and Kesler as the muscle and net front presence.

I'll be rooting for you guys this year. Was hoping to meet you in the finals and now I wanna see Hags do well.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I'm more ok with now that I know he gave up 3 ufa years. I think silf will be more valuable, but silf only gave up 1 year. Makes some sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad