Value of: Carl Gunnarson and Jaybo

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Ron Hainsey.
We would be looking more for draft picks not so much other dman that will be sitting on the bench or taking on other contracts. Gunny and Jaybo are UFA so they would most likely just be rentals help. I could see retention to up their value. Currently Gunner makes 2.9mil and Jaybo makes 5.4mil

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
looking to move salary and players since they have like 5 LHD that can play in the NHL
Also trying to get something for expiring contracts i dont expect a 1st possibly a second with retention. I wonder id anyone would be willing to give a first for Jaybo if he was retained 50% and a pick going back from us would work just curious.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You forgot the :sarcasm:
giphy.gif

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
JayBo isn't good enough to get a return, we're better off just riding the contract out. Gunnar depends on how returns for injury. He'll either be worth keeping and playing or useless and won't have any value.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
JayBo isn't good enough to get a return, we're better off just riding the contract out. Gunnar depends on how returns for injury. He'll either be worth keeping and playing or useless and won't have any value.
Except that the Blues can't just ride out Bouwmeester's contract if everyone is healthy. Right now, the only way to keep both Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson on the roster (when Gunnarsson is activated soon) is to keep the roster at only 22.

Maybe they'll do that for a couple games and showcase Gunnarsson, then trade him. But it would be a lot more convenient to trade Bouwmeester.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Except that the Blues can't just ride out Bouwmeester's contract if everyone is healthy. Right now, the only way to keep both Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson on the roster (when Gunnarsson is activated soon) is to keep the roster at only 22.

Maybe they'll do that for a couple games and showcase Gunnarsson, then trade him. But it would be a lot more convenient to trade Bouwmeester.

No one would want Bouwmeester. Who would pay that much money for a guy who would be their worst defenseman?

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
No one would want Bouwmeester. Who would pay that much money for a guy who would be their worst defenseman?
Obviously, the deal would include something to make it palatable for a team that cares more about futures than the current salary. You might have seen the thread I started here a couple weeks ago speculating about trading Bouwmeester as a negative asset. I think something like that may be the case.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Obviously, the deal would include something to make it palatable for a team that cares more about futures than the current salary. You might have seen the thread I started here a couple weeks ago speculating about trading Bouwmeester as a negative asset. I think something like that may be the case.

That wouldn't be worth it for us though. It's best to just hold on until you can't anymore since it's his last year.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That wouldn't be worth it for us though. It's best to just hold on until you can't anymore since it's his last year.
Sure. Great. But you have to be cap compliant. They can't do NOTHING. And the timing is getting urgent. Soshnikov and Bortuzzo are not going to be on IR much longer.

And its probably harder to get someone interested in Gunnarsson who they haven't even seen play post-injury. At least everyone can see Bouwmeester has his mobility back. He's played poorly, but much of that can be attributed to rust. Its been his timing and decision-making that are hurting his game right now. Those are things he's done well with historically, so there is good reason to believe he can be a serviceable NHL player. Moving Gunnarsson instead makes the cap a very tight situation as the season goes along. It makes it harder to entertain making a goalie deal. The Blues can afford to add a reasonable sweetener to Bouwmeester to move him. Maybe even retain some.

Reactions: zaqq

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sure. Great. But you have to be cap compliant. They can't do NOTHING. And the timing is getting urgent. Soshnikov and Bortuzzo are not going to be on IR much longer.

And its probably harder to get someone interested in Gunnarsson who they haven't even seen play post-injury. At least everyone can see Bouwmeester has his mobility back. He's played poorly, but much of that can be attributed to rust. Its been his timing and decision-making that are hurting his game right now. Those are things he's done well with historically, so there is good reason to believe he can be a serviceable NHL player. Moving Gunnarsson instead makes the cap a very tight situation as the season goes along. It makes it harder to entertain making a goalie deal. The Blues can afford to add a reasonable sweetener to Bouwmeester to move him. Maybe even retain some.

You run 22 until you can't. They are more or less fine for now.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Boumeester can play the right side, correct? I think he played on the right for some international tournaments. If so, the Leafs may have interest. It's appealing that it's the last year of his contract, as Toronto will have no cap room next season.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Boumeester can play the right side, correct? I think he played on the right for some international tournaments. If so, the Leafs may have interest. It's appealing that it's the last year of his contract, as Toronto will have no cap room next season.

We are currently trying to figure out if he can still play the left side. I'm assuming the right side wont make much of a difference.

Reactions: bluesfan94 and zaqq

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Noooooo.
I have nothing against JBo but Babs will LOVE him and grossly over play him.

See: Hainsey, Ron

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Noooooo.
I have nothing against JBo but Babs will LOVE him and grossly over play him.

See: Hainsey, Ron

You could be right. Babcock had him on team Canada once, and was a big fan...

I think he would be an upgrade on the 3rd pair. And an overplayed Boumeester means less minutes for the currently overplayed Hainsey. So it might help balance things out a bit.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Let's put it this way, I'd expect him to be equally effective on the right.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Jaybo and a second for Andrew neilson (basically ahl dump) takes away salary and give a roster spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad