Value of: Carl Gunnarson and Jaybo

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
You could be right. Babcock had him on team Canada once, and was a big fan...

I think he would be an upgrade on the 3rd pair. And an overplayed Boumeester means less minutes for the currently overplayed Hainsey. So it might help balance things out a bit.
You're probably right but Dubas took away most of Babs toys (Komarov and Polak) so I'd be surprised if he'd bring another one in, even if he is a marginal upgrade.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
In the Kassian trade thread, both of these guys got mentioned in a potential deal. I’d prefer it be Bouwmeester(which we’d probably retain a bit). Kassian would replace Sundqvist and he’d probably be a really good fit next to Thomas and Fabbri/Maroon.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm amazed that Gunnarsson is still in the league. I don't think there's a veteran defenseman in the league that you hear less about.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Except that the Blues can't just ride out Bouwmeester's contract if everyone is healthy. Right now, the only way to keep both Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson on the roster (when Gunnarsson is activated soon) is to keep the roster at only 22.

Maybe they'll do that for a couple games and showcase Gunnarsson, then trade him. But it would be a lot more convenient to trade Bouwmeester.
Gunnarsson has allowed d partners to thrive, while Bouwmeedter has made his partners look awful.

I imagine Blues management will try to move Gunnarsson and keep Bothering, but they really should do the opposite IMO.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The bolded is not necessarily a bad thing.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked him on the Leafs. He was miscast as a top pairing defenseman but was a good player/person. Does nothing spectacular but at the same time has no glaring weakness. Seems like he's been pretty injury prone with the Blues.

Reactions: simon IC

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Jaybo and a second for Andrew neilson (basically ahl dump) takes away salary and give a roster spot

If its Jaybo the Leafs are taking on, id rather give something more than Nielsen and go for a Kostin or a Bokk type instead of a second.
Maybe Jaybo + Kostin for Nielsen+3rd+ Stl 4th?

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If its Jaybo the Leafs are taking on, id rather give something more than Nielsen and go for a Kostin or a Bokk type instead of a second.
I am sure you could find some Blues fans who are frothing at the mouth to get rid of Bouwmeester so badly that they would accept this deal. However, I would rather let him sit in the press box all season rather than give up a prospect like Kostin. Or Bokk. Or a 2nd. Hard pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Blues

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Why would we pay a recent first round pick to shed a contract for half of a year? This is about the least appetizing proposal I've seen since the last Parayko thread.

Reactions: Colt55 and zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He can't play either side anymore.

Heh.. That's funny.

But in all seriousness, in Bouwmeester's 9 games so far, he's still averaging over 20 minutes a game. In fact, hes never had a season under that in his entire NHL career. If he were on Toronto right now, he would be taking the place of Igor Ozhiganov and Martin Marincin. These guys have been rotating on the 3rd pair, and are playing around 14 minutes, sometimes less.

I can't imagine that Bouwmeester couldn't handle that, and then some, while providing more than either Maple Leaf is currently. He brings 2 elements the Leafs lack on their blueline. Size, even if he isn't a hitter, and good positional play. Assuming he is still a quick skater, he would fit in perfectly. We wouldn't need Bouwmeester to be a minute eating, point producing, top 4 defenceman. We would need him to be a good soldier, play 3rd pair minutes, and take a shift on the PK so we don't wear out Hainsey.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Kostin and Bokk are not going anywhere. We can just hold onto jaybo. That is really a silly request

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->