Carkner's gotta go

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
a lot longer than the 6 or so games he's played this year.

Nonsense. 128 minutes in the NHL is enough to sufficiently analyze and draw definitive conclusions about what player they will turn out to be in the NHL and if they are NHL material or not. Usually the experts here are good enough to do this in 2 or 3 games, and without the benefit of watching them play in the AHL or Juniors or College. He sucks and he's a goner. Throw away that Brock Nelson kid too, what is this garbage? :sarcasm: :shakehead

Brought to you by the same message board that wanted to cut bait with Bailey and Okposo and Frans Nielsen and a host of others last year and every other year. Some people never learn.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Why is it just AMac or Carkner? Why not Martinek? I think he is better than Carkner as a stay-at-home D.
Put your rookie with a better veteran. You can then use Carkner with Hickey who has a more refined game right now.

Fair question.

Marty is a bit older, still has poise and some speed and game....but I think he's showing he's better nowadays as an offensive weapon. He's using his rush game more than his physical stay at home game, and IMHO that's gonna keep him from getting hurt.

Now Donovan is a MESS on defensive zone play. He needs to have a rock stay at home guy paired with him to show him the ropes and cover his arse.

I'd rather have Donovan with Hickey and make Donovan play a defensive game, to be honest. Hickey is a smart guy {I'm very pleased with his game all around} and can play back to cover if Donovan goes on a rush. I'd like Donovan to learn from him. But....if we're gonna have Donovan playing his best Doug Crossman game....I'd rather Carkner or AMac...stay at home guys {which AMac SHOULD be}.

Ideally, Martinek is with Viz when we're down two goals, with AMac when down one and wherever in any other event. I like a little yin and yang in each pairing except where the situation calls for something else.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Nonsense. 128 minutes in the NHL is enough to sufficiently analyze and draw definitive conclusions about what player they will turn out to be in the NHL and if they are NHL material or not. Usually the experts here are good enough to do this in 2 or 3 games, and without the benefit of watching them play in the AHL or Juniors or College. He sucks and he's a goner. Throw away that Brock Nelson kid too, what is this garbage? :sarcasm: :shakehead

Brought to you by the same message board that wanted to cut bait with Bailey and Okposo and Frans Nielsen and a host of others last year and every other year. Some people never learn.
I'd bench Donovan against the NYR. Easily.

His game was THAT BAD.

Now trading him? Let's sign Bertuzzi so we can trade him again. Maybe reacquire Justin Papineau with that guy. I don't want him traded....just off the ice til he's one of the six or seven best defensemen we have on the club. THAT should be the standard.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'd bench Donovan against the NYR. Easily.

His game was THAT BAD.

Now trading him? Let's sign Bertuzzi so we can trade him again. Maybe reacquire Justin Papineau with that guy. I don't want him traded....just off the ice til he's one of the six or seven best defensemen we have on the club. THAT should be the standard.

Rookies go through growing pains, it's a part of the business.

Your D pairings are the right approach, not benching him.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Rookies go through growing pains, it's a part of the business.

Your D pairings are the right approach, not benching him.
The issue is not allowing growing pains...I EXPECT them. What I want is the handling of rookies to be better.

Reward pluses and punish negatives. More icetime for good play and less for bad. Donovan, EVEN THOUGH HE IS A ROOKIE, was AWFUL on defense. I want him working on it now and hard.

If Arbour can punish Bossy for being incomplete in any way.....I'd like my coach to punish Donovan. Tough love. Motivate him to work harder th best way possible.

If we were playing NJD....I'd play Donovan and demand he put up a solid three zone game. But NYR is high stakes, high pressure and demands solid d-zone play.

But like I said, we have no depth so he plays. So at least put someone to make up for his screw ups on his side.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The issue is not allowing growing pains...I EXPECT them. What I want is the handling of rookies to be better.

Reward pluses and punish negatives. More icetime for good play and less for bad. Donovan, EVEN THOUGH HE IS A ROOKIE, was AWFUL on defense. I want him working on it now and hard.

If Arbour can punish Bossy for being incomplete in any way.....I'd like my coach to punish Donovan. Tough love. Motivate him to work harder th best way possible.

If we were playing NJD....I'd play Donovan and demand he put up a solid three zone game. But NYR is high stakes, high pressure and demands solid d-zone play.

But like I said, we have no depth so he plays. So at least put someone to make up for his screw ups on his side.

I'm all for punishments and rewards for your play. I was very happy when he was ripped into by the coaching staff during one of our recent games (I think Pittsburgh).

There are other ways to punish and reward guys other than by scratching/dressing them. You can give tough love but still allow them to play (which I think is best in this case). Though, I was going to ask if you wanted him to sit versus NYR because of the opponent and shelter him from the tougher teams. Which I'd also be okay with, as long as the approach stayed the same throughout the process.

You really can't send mixed messages to players, it's not good for their confidence and overall game.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
i don't think carkner or donovan are the problem. the problem is when they get matched up at home with the other teams top 6. it's unacceptable. they also aren't good together. there is no chemistry between them. the pairings should be

MacDonald - Hamonic
Martinek - Carkner/Strait
Donovan - Hickey

when lubo comes back:

MacDonald - Hamonic
Visnovsky - Hickey
Donovan - Strait/Martinek

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I'm all for punishments and rewards for your play. I was very happy when he was ripped into by the coaching staff during one of our recent games (I think Pittsburgh).

There are other ways to punish and reward guys other than by scratching/dressing them. You can give tough love but still allow them to play (which I think is best in this case). Though, I was going to ask if you wanted him to sit versus NYR because of the opponent and shelter him from the tougher teams. Which I'd also be okay with, as long as the approach stayed the same throughout the process.

You really can't send mixed messages to players, it's not good for their confidence and overall game.

Absolutely want him to sit because it's NYR. We need our guys hitting and clutching and checking against NYR. We need the parts of the game Donovan is being benched for not using, so yeah, I guess we agree. I'd play the kid if it were Buffalo....especially now.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad