Carkner's gotta go

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Martinek is far better than Carkner. Once Visnovsky's back, I'd waive Carkner. Donovan-Martinek would be perfect, even Donovan - Strait would be much better, since Strait is a good stay-at-home guy.

They'll need to trim the roster anyway.

No way Donovan gets sent down. I love the way he plays the point on the PP (when it does happen), he made a real nice play (fake) in the 3rd when Isles almost scored. Oh well.
^ This. And some of you *****ed about signing Marty, but as old as he is and now slower than before, he is still a servicable NHL defenseman, at least compared to Strait, Carkner, and an inexperienced Donovan.
Marty will get burned, make some mistakes. He is not the answer, but he is an improvement over those 3. Still a very smart and positionally sound player.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He has not been good. However, he is part of our future, and as a rebuilding team we have to nurture him. It also would be beneficial for him to play with someone a lot better than Carkner. Pair him with Martinek for the time being.
He's not part of the future if he can't get his defensive game in order. Everyone seems to be blaming his poor play on his partner, Carkner. He was just as bad playing with Strait. Does anyone ever think that his poor defensive play is making his partners look worse. At least Strait was a more mobile and able to cover for Donovans gaffes. I'll be the first to admit that Carkner is not very good but I'm not ready to give Donovan a pass because his partners aren't able to cover for his mistakes.

Last edited:

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
He's not part of the future if he can't get his defensive game in order. Everyone seems to be blaming his poor play on his partner, Carkner. He was just as bad playing with Strait. Does anyone ever think that his poor defensive play is making his partners look worse. At least Strait was a more mobile and able to cover for Donovans gaffes. I'll be the first to admit that Carkner is not very good but I'm not ready to give Donovan a pass because his partners aren't able to cover for his mistakes.

I'm so sorry that Matt Donovan kicked your dog. If you cant see that Donovan's play has taken a huge hit compared to when he played with Strait, and even MacDonald in the pre-season, then you are just lost. But then again you seem to think Andrew Macdonald has been productive on the Powerplay, so I'm pretty sure your opinions on defense should be taken with a large grain of salt considering they have no basis in reality.

Here's your chance, other than proving that Macdonald was standing on the ice while Moulson scores powerplay goal after powerplay goal (usually exclusively set up by Nielsen and Tavares and the occasional Okposo shot) what has Macdonald done well at on the powerplay.

He has a pretty sweet backhand saucer pass but ummm thats not whats getting the powerplay going...

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I'm so sorry that Matt Donovan kicked your dog. If you cant see that Donovan's play has taken a huge hit compared to when he played with Strait, and even MacDonald in the pre-season, then you are just lost. But then again you seem to think Andrew Macdonald has been productive on the Powerplay, so I'm pretty sure your opinions on defense should be taken with a large grain of salt considering they have no basis in reality.

Here's your chance, other than proving that Macdonald was standing on the ice while Moulson scores powerplay goal after powerplay goal (usually exclusively set up by Nielsen and Tavares and the occasional Okposo shot) what has Macdonald done well at on the powerplay.

He has a pretty sweet backhand saucer pass but ummm thats not whats getting the powerplay going...
I agree that Donovan play looks worse with Carkner as his partner but that's doesn't absolve him of his poor defensive play. He looked just as bad with Strait as his partner but Strait is much more mobile than Carkner and could cover for him. I love Donovans offensive game but if he can't get his defensive game in order then he's of no use to this team. He's not Mark Streit on offense and we don't know if he ever will be. Right now the PP is working fine whether you like Amac on it or not. The defense is what's killing us.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
^ This. And some of you *****ed about signing Marty, but as old as he is and now slower than before, he is still a servicable NHL defenseman, at least compared to Strait, Carkner, and an inexperienced Donovan.
Marty will get burned, make some mistakes. He is not the answer, but he is an improvement over those 3. Still a very smart and positionally sound player.

The problem with Martinek is not his game. He immediately played himself ahead of Strait and Carkner since joining and that is no surprise. The problem with Martinek is that he is an untimely hole in your lineup due to his inevitable season ending injury.

The issues on defense come down to a lack of defensively sound players, and the problem of pairing inexperienced defensemen with them. The coach should know this and produce pairs that respect that fact, but he doesn't because he is not an NHL quality coach. His pairings scream minor league mentality. Donovan with Carkner or Hickey? Constantly pairing Hickey with Vis?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

Strait is pretty lousy also. All I'm saying is that we have to give Donnovan time. He has to be in the lineup every day. he can't play feeling as though if he makes a mistake he will be scratched or demoted. He has nothing left to learn in the AHL so sending him down makes no sense.

Having Donnovan in our lineup is the right move. What the wrong move was not bringing in someone far better than Strait, Carkner, Martinek and I'll even say MacDonald. I hate to beat the dead horse some more, but we've needed a top pair Dman forever and we still haven't gotten one.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Ness and DeHaan haven't exactly been lighting it up in Bridgeport. As poorly as Carkner has played, Donovan has somehow been worse over the last few games.

would have been easier for donovan too if carkner wouldn't be his partner. Donovan has growing pains, carkner doesn't i think...

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Donovan pairing up with Carkner is criminal.. same thing happened with Nino. Young prospect and teamed up with Reasoner . What do you expect to happen??

Fact remains our GM is clueless and is responsible for this teams shortcomings. Everyone is struggling and yet we cant capitalize on it. We lose to a terrible Flyers team and on Tuesday we face a Rangers team lost in the woods.

Mustang2750*

Donovan pairing up with Carkner is criminal.. same thing happened with Nino. Young prospect and teamed up with Reasoner . What do you expect to happen??

Fact remains our GM is clueless and is responsible for this teams shortcomings. Everyone is struggling and yet we cant capitalize on it. We lose to a terrible Flyers team and on Tuesday we face a Rangers team lost in the woods.

This.

We have the dumbest coach in the NHL.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
It's amazing to me how Donovan gets a free pass from fans on this board for his poor defensive play because he's a rookie with offensive skills. How long of a leash do we give him?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
It's amazing to me how Donovan gets a free pass from fans on this board for his poor defensive play because he's a rookie with offensive skills. How long of a leash do we give him?

Long enough to develop!

Strait and Andy Mac are NOT the problem. The problem is that they are playing in slots above their level. Andy Mac should be a number 4, and Strait -Hickey should be the bottom pair.

Carkner is an ok number 8.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

You give him a leash that would let him develop but the tools are not there to enable him to succeed. Proper rebuilds co-exist with solid draft picks and some good veteran trades and FA signings. I love Martinek but Cmon really? Lets team him up with a borderline goon in Carkner?

Look at Colorado and how their rebuild is coming along and then look at ours. Excellent drafting (just like us) but they went out and made some great signings and above all have a respected player turned coach in Patrick Roy whom we see is willing to fined and suspended for the team. Fat Jack on the other hand just sits there twiddling his thumbs and his awful post game comments of "we gotta get pucks to net and shake off those bad hops"

He says the same thing every interview!!!!!!!

Colorado - best team in the west
Islanders - Borderline 8th seed team lingering on lottery pick

Then you blame Donovan??? Give me a break!!!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
You give him a leash that would let him develop but the tools are not there to enable him to succeed. Proper rebuilds co-exist with solid draft picks and some good veteran trades and FA signings. I love Martinek but Cmon really? Lets team him up with a borderline goon in Carkner?

Look at Colorado and how their rebuild is coming along and then look at ours. Excellent drafting (just like us) but they went out and made some great signings and above all have a respected player turned coach in Patrick Roy whom we see is willing to fined and suspended for the team. Fat Jack on the other hand just sits there twiddling his thumbs and his awful post game comments of "we gotta get pucks to net and shake off those bad hops"

Don't be comparing us with Colorado. They have two very good goaltenders that have been keeping them in games. When i've watched them the've been outplayed and outshot by a wide margine on most nights. If they had Nabby and Poulin in their net they would be in the same spot we are in.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Don't be comparing us with Colorado. They have two very good goaltenders that have been keeping them in games. When i've watched them the've been outplayed and outshot by a wide margine on most nights. If they had Nabby and Poulin in their net they would be in the same spot we are in.

Bill - they are exactly who we should compare ourselves with to identify our problems. They have good goaltenders. They have more than one young ELITE forward. We don't. And the reason we don't is told explicitly when you go to any salary cap site and look to see what Wang is willing to pay out for a roster vs the rest of the league. We are dead last. Amazingly enough we are 4 to 5 million above the cap floor which it just so happens to be a likely figure for the revenue sharing check Wang received for last year. I guestimated the rev sharing check amount, but that is ballpark of all the estimates I could find for our 50% share.

What does that tell you about why we play a rookie with incomplete defensive partners, or why we have a sub-mediocre goalie platoon?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Bill - they are exactly who we should compare ourselves with to identify our problems. They have good goaltenders. They have more than one young ELITE forward. We don't. And the reason we don't is told explicitly when you go to any salary cap site and look to see what Wang is willing to pay out for a roster vs the rest of the league. We are dead last. Amazingly enough we are 4 to 5 million above the cap floor which it just so happens to be a likely figure for the revenue sharing check Wang received for last year. I guestimated the rev sharing check amount, but that is ballpark of all the estimates I could find for our 50% share.

What does that tell you about why we play a rookie with incomplete defensive partners, or why we have a sub-mediocre goalie platoon?
Colorado is only a couple spots higher as far as payroll goes. Colorado is running on adreneline right now. Very good young players, very good goaltending, and a new coach. They will come down to earth soon and that will be the true test of how good of a team they will be. They haven't faced the adversity of a lossing streak yet but it will happen. I personally don't think they are as good as their record from the games that i've watched.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Good rant. And he absolutely says the same thing after every loss. Verbatim.

Isles aren't a great team yet. Need a few more pieces. They are a playoff team though, if healthy.

They will lose games, this was the worst they've played all year.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

I think you're overblowing it. Carkner plays a stay at home D fairly well, makes some mistakes and lends toughness. We could have better, but KJ didn't return our calls.

So Donovan, an offensive defenseman with a Doug Crossman game needs someone to stay back so he can join the rush. AMac or Carkner....well, we need AMac playing big minuted due to our "depth" so it's Carkner.

ALONE OUT THERE Carkner....Donovan has been HORRIBLE on the backcheck. Rookie or not, he has to get back and cover his checks, not watch them score like I saw three times last night.

As said above the "bad guys" above serve a purpose....but the depth makes them overused and exploited.

We lost to a Terrible-but-getting-stronger-and-able-to-take-the-game-because-we-sucked-in-three-zones-and-wouldn't-protect-our-goalie Flyers FWIW....and I recall Bailey was rushing back to play Donovan's position twice last night while Donovan was out picking daisies.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Colorado is only a couple spots higher as far as payroll goes. Colorado is running on adreneline right now. Very good young players, very good goaltending, and a new coach. They will come down to earth soon and that will be the true test of how good of a team they will be. They haven't faced the adversity of a lossing streak yet but it will happen. I personally don't think they are as good as their record from the games that i've watched.

Everyone comes down from the adrenaline rush and this is a long season but you cannot take away what they have down in a tough western conference. They play in a tough division and every point matters.. The Islanders play in a tough division also and we should be capitalizing on the canes, flyers and NYR. Every point counts!! It was the difference between the 1st seed Penguins or the 3rd seed Capitals last season.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I'm pretty sure there isn't an Islander fan who wants Carkner on the team.
You're probably right but he is and they aren't going to waive him. Right now he's one of the 6 healthy D so he plays. Would Donovan be better off playing with Matinek, probably? But then instead of having 2 good pairings with Haminic/Amac-Hickey/Martinek we would only have one. How do you isolate 2 crappy D. Is it better to play them together and give them limited minutes or split them up and wreak havoc on both partners that they play with?

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I'll hold onto him. We need a tough defenseman for the playoffs, at least in the early games. He's better than Cairns was. THE REST OF THE D makes him look far worse than he really is.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I think you're overblowing it. Carkner plays a stay at home D fairly well, makes some mistakes and lends toughness. We could have better, but KJ didn't return our calls.

So Donovan, an offensive defenseman with a Doug Crossman game needs someone to stay back so he can join the rush. AMac or Carkner....well, we need AMac playing big minuted due to our "depth" so it's Carkner.

ALONE OUT THERE Carkner....Donovan has been HORRIBLE on the backcheck. Rookie or not, he has to get back and cover his checks, not watch them score like I saw three times last night.

As said above the "bad guys" above serve a purpose....but the depth makes them overused and exploited.

We lost to a Terrible-but-getting-stronger-and-able-to-take-the-game-because-we-sucked-in-three-zones-and-wouldn't-protect-our-goalie Flyers FWIW....and I recall Bailey was rushing back to play Donovan's position twice last night while Donovan was out picking daisies.
Why is it just AMac or Carkner? Why not Martinek? I think he is better than Carkner as a stay-at-home D.
Put your rookie with a better veteran. You can then use Carkner with Hickey who has a more refined game right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad