GDT: carfly

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
First ever 5-0 road-trip for the Rangers.

Lavi coaching the Rags is going to be interesting. He really seems to get the absolute best out of a team for 2-4 seasons. I wonder what Rods record vs Lavi is? For some reason it feels like his teams always play well against the Canes.

Pretty even I think. Rod had a winning record vs Laviolette in Nashville but they only met 4 times.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Here’s to hoping that is not cliche by the end of the season.
It's cliche now. Hell, it's been cliche for years. We've never been the dominant team like Vegas or Boston. We've ground and out survived our way to the top of the metro, which is arguably what good teams do. But last year or pp was weak af nd we don't really score- and we survived by shutting teams down until we got out lucked by a wild card team on a puck luck run.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Philly certainly has a touch more talent than they did and Torts can squeeze a lot out of teams. But they started pretty well last season and faded. I still expect that to occur this season. While other teams are ramping up I can see a team that plays hard and is well coached getting off to a good start. We've typically thrived early off that formula. I think they don't have the talent to keep it going all year.

We often ruminate on what it would look like to replace some of our skill for better pure grinders in RBAs system.

I think watching Torts Flyers is a close approximation of what you would get.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
True. On the flip side, 3v3 OT and shoot outs probably aided in Rod's numbers vs. at least Cherry and Blake. Maybe not but I'm too lazy to do the work to look it up.
On the flip flip side, how good were those teams when those coaches took over? RBA stepped in with a team that hadn't made the playoffs in a decade and wasn't really expected to do a ton that first year either. The foundation was there obviously with our recent draftees/graduates, but we still weren't a "contender" by any means. We've had scraps for goaltenders, never had a really elite starter this whole time either.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
But in our current equality environment how can you let some people fly (licensed pilots) and not others? I mean watching some YouTube videos of people getting pulled over for actually violating rules and laws you gotta realize driving is a right!
When real AGI arrives, whether it's in 5 years or 50, you are going to be astonished at the range of things that people will no longer want other people to do. People who want freedom to do things "the old fashioned way" will pay a higher price to do so, a price that reflects the danger that they pose in a world in which machines have far superior abilities.

Say what you will about machines, but their greatest advantage is that they do what they are built to do, and don't get moody or drunk or drowsy or petulant or bored. AI doctors, AI lawyers, AI engineers. It's all coming, fast. Really super fast. Why? Because we all need those services, and we want them as cheaply and as effectively as we can get them, and humans ain't gonna be it for much longer.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
When real AGI arrives, whether it's in 5 years or 50, you are going to be astonished at the range of things that people will no longer want other people to do. People who want freedom to do things "the old fashioned way" will pay a higher price to do so, a price that reflects the danger that they pose in a world in which machines have far superior abilities.

Say what you will about machines, but their greatest advantage is that they do what they are built to do, and don't get moody or drunk or drowsy or petulant or bored. AI doctors, AI lawyers, AI engineers. It's all coming, fast. Really super fast. Why? Because we all need those services, and we want them as cheaply and as effectively as we can get them, and humans ain't gonna be it for much longer.

I have 2 kids in middle school, and often wonder what the working world will look like in 10-15 years when they're entering it. I have not idea if they'll go to college, or what college will even look like in 5-10 years tbh.

Reactions: SlavinAway

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I have 2 kids in middle school, and often wonder what the working world will look like in 10-15 years when they're entering it. I have not idea if they'll go to college, or what college will even look like in 5-10 years tbh.
My bet is skilled trades. The robots will come for the plumbers, carpenters, pipe fitters and electricians last. White collar professions are all about data, where machines can more easily surpass us. Manufacturing is repetitive work in a fixed location, which means that robots will excel there too. Anything that requires a combination of mobility, dexterity and judgement will be safe for a generation longer. That probably includes robot repair, fwiw.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My bet is skilled trades. The robots will come for the plumbers, carpenters, pipe fitters and electricians last. White collar professions are all about data, where machines can more easily surpass us. Manufacturing is repetitive work in a fixed location, which means that robots will excel there too. Anything that requires a combination of mobility, dexterity and judgement will be safe for a generation longer. That probably includes robot repair, fwiw.

Teaching other humans, and other human interaction-oriented professions, is also relatively safe. AI has a hard time with catering to an individual's mental needs.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I often see customer and human-to-human oriented jobs at the top of the list of professions that are "AI proof". Professions like Nursing have a very bright growth outlook according to the statistics.

Others are teaching, sales, and honestly a lot of medical jobs. I tend to agree at least in the near future, as I think the need for a real human touch isn't going away anytime soon. I question a lot of sales positions, though. One example would be car salesman. I just don't see people preferring to go to a large, antiquated shopping mall for cars and have some dug-in sales person come out wheelin' and dealin' for too many more years.

I don't know if certain sales jobs will die from AI specifically, but maybe changes in how we consume products as a whole.

I agree, skilled trades are so safe it's crazy. As an example, unless we replace every existing home on the planet some day with a self healing home, we're gonna need jobs like plumbers. The number homes, buildings, etc sitting on old cast iron, and copper pipes is astronomical. All that stuff is failing now and will continue to fail for decades.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
the dearth of skilled trades is a problem today. Trying to get an electrician, plumber, contractor for a small job these days can be a real struggle. They have so much work, they don't want to waste time with small jobs. Many are also at an age where they won't be doing it for much longer.

I see immigrants (legal and illegal) filling that role more frequently today.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
the dearth of skilled trades is a problem today. Trying to get an electrician, plumber, contractor for a small job these days can be a real struggle. They have so much work, they don't want to waste time with small jobs. Many are also at an age where they won't be doing it for much longer.

I see immigrants (legal and illegal) filling that role more frequently today.
Yep. Most likely steering my kids away from college and into the “showing up to a house is worth $200” jobs … with the goal of course to own their own business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad