Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Car no fly... plane fly.

Or

0*cRiyNzuq4uGOc1_S.gif

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
As a kid, I was led to believe there would be flying cars by the time I was an adult. Still haven't gotten over that.
Technically there have been flying cars... not in the Jetsons mold of course but a few companies have tried to make them and have successfully pulled it off technology wise. The issue is that a vehicle that does both is pretty damn terrible at flying relative to planes and at driving relative to cars. There are tons of other issues with it too, i.e. any minor fender bender as a "car" grounds it as a plane, and pilot training requirements, etc. It's an interesting concept but one I don't think will ever be widespread like a lot of media has depicted.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Technically there have been flying cars... not in the Jetsons mold of course but a few companies have tried to make them and have successfully pulled it off technology wise. The issue is that a vehicle that does both is pretty damn terrible at flying relative to planes and at driving relative to cars. There are tons of other issues with it too, i.e. any minor fender bender as a "car" grounds it as a plane, and pilot training requirements, etc. It's an interesting concept but one I don't think will ever be widespread like a lot of media has depicted.

"Flying car" == small, cheap, self piloting helicopter.

The "cheap" part is the big problem. The "self piloting" part is, in many ways, simpler than self-driving cars because there are so few obstacles in comparison, but failures are much more likely to be fatal.

It only takes one company to get this idea "off the ground" though, and the barriers are price, space, and regulatory requirements. The charter helicopter business in Manhattan is booming, but only because there are enough helipads and high end customers. Get the cost down to $100 a ride instead of $1000 and allow urban takeoff/landing from a much wider variety of locations, and suddenly a whole new business model appears -- and then some municipality becomes the testbed by handwaving the regulatory environment away.

This kind of transformation isn't imminent, until it is. Just like, say, chatgpt. The foundations don't exist, until one day they do.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Three things to watch out for against Philly.

1. They're fast. Very fast. I don't know how our D will do against their speed, especially given our tendency to pinch and that going poorly for us quite often.

2. In that same vein, their PK is dangerous shorthanded. I don't need to remind anyone of the game last year where they scored two (or was it three?) shorthanded goals against us to turn a blowout into a nailbiter.

3. It's TonyD's former team. He's going to play like he's got something to prove. Which, if history is any indication, he's going to play hotheaded and take stupid retaliatory penalties. He needs to keep himself in check if we want a chance this game.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The biggest problem for flying cars is people. Way too many idiots that can't drive, can you imagine a world where you can buy a flying cars for under 10 grand.

Of course it would help world hunger, unemployment, over crowding, homelessness....

You know what? I'm kinda digging the idea.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The biggest problem for flying cars is people. Way too many idiots that can't drive, can you imagine a world where you can buy a flying cars for under 10 grand.

Of course it would help world hunger, unemployment, over crowding, homelessness....

You know what? I'm kinda digging the idea.
There's no way that flying cars will be viable with human pilots. The skill required to fly safely enough won't scale. AI piloting skills will continue to improve exponentially. Human piloting skills surely will not.

PS: the FAA is already prepped for this and expecting self piloting vehicles by 2028. Flying Cars Will Need A Human Pilot, Operate Mostly Like Helicopters Until 2028, FAA Says | Carscoops

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
There's no way that flying cars will be viable with human pilots. The skill required to fly safely enough won't scale. AI piloting skills will continue to improve exponentially. Human piloting skills surely will not.
But in our current equality environment how can you let some people fly (licensed pilots) and not others? I mean watching some YouTube videos of people getting pulled over for actually violating rules and laws you gotta realize driving is a right!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad