Player Discussion Carey Price - Stanley Cup Final Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He has, but the baggage has piled up. It's clear we need to move on from him. Hopefully a fresh start elsewhere will be good for him.
I'm way past the point where I just want change and a move in the right direction. I don't care if it takes 2-3 years. This team needs clear direction and a definite destination so to speak.
The past 10 years, of no actual direction picked has cost the team big time...
We had the make da playoff, and anythng can happen mantra.......all the while moving the goalposts each and every season to placate the upstairs management.....rinse and repeat.
Moving forward with the new regime, will have a more defined direction, and we will all see it.
Hopefully we can get some futures for Price, and they will have to retain some salary.
The sad part is, we will have to retain salalry for a few of our vets, which did not need to happen, but I digress....

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
We had the make da playoff, and anythng can happen mantra.......all the while moving the goalposts each and every season to placate the upstairs management.....rinse and repeat.
Moving forward with the new regime, will have a more defined direction, and we will all see it.
Hopefully we can get some futures for Price, and they will have to retain some salary.
The sad part is, we will have to retain salalry for a few of our vets, which did not need to happen, but I digress....
The most egregious of these contracts was the Gallagher deal.

We were a bad team and he had been declining but had shown a little bit of a return to form so we should have traded him while his value was still high.

Instead we gave him an absolutely ridiculous contract and he predictably went back into decline and now we're stuck with him.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The most egregious of these contracts was the Gallagher deal.

We were a bad team and he had been declining but had shown a little bit of a return to form so we should have traded him while his value was still high.

Instead we gave him an absolutely ridiculous contract and he predictably went back into decline and now we're stuck with him.
And to top it off...............it sent the GM into a crying fit...we all love Gally, but come on..........one of the strangest moments in MB's tenure. The contract was so bad....I know he is the little engine that could, but man we all knew he would decline quickly, and it has happened already...
Thx MB..........ya filthy animal.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Wonder if he would go to the world championships in May to get some games in? Maybe play the last few games of the season

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

There was a direction... Bubble team direction but they didn't know it cause "anything can happen in the playoffs". Worked 1/12 years :laugh:

Reactions: BLONG7 and amethyst

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wonder if he would go to the world championships in May to get some games in? Maybe play the last few games of the season

That would be interesting if that developed. Price playing with different players for a change. If he is healthy, he should consider it. Would be a fresh outlook on thinks for Price and other teams wondering if he still got it.

Reactions: frapp10

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Pretty slick and pretty PR savvy selling all the right buttons

What I don't hear is how he's going to retire...but of course she forgot those 40 million reasons.
I don't think he will keep playing just for the 40 millions.

I think he want to come back when ready see if he still can play at high level. Then hope to be traded, if not I think he plays 2 more years and calls its quits.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think he will keep playing just for the 40 millions.

I think he want to come back when ready see if he still can play at high level. Then hope to be traded, if not I think he plays 2 more years and calls its quits.

I think it's a moot point since he's still a great goalie. I know he's had consistency issues in recent years - but he was bar none the best player in the whole league through 3 playoff rounds last time he played, so he can obviously still do good. And if he's this good - he keeps playing.

If he somehow declines though - I still can't imagine he retires and leaves 10.5M$AAV on the table. Would be crazy. He'll absolutely play his contract out in my opinion.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Price is still one of the best in the league when healthy but I don't think that it is realistic to expect him to carry a team on his back at this stage of his career. A fresh start elsewhere would be the best scenario for everyone involved. I would like to see him get a chance to win a cup on a contending team but who knows if it will happen.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
And him staying on vacation...err fighting his his dark side would be insurance fraud. But hey, he's our guy and it's OK......

The last thing on earth anyone wants or should underwrite is the NHL.

Pretty sure Carey has so many injuries at this point that any doctor would say he’s unfit to play at whatever is considered 100% for him at this point. I wouldn’t call it fraud, it’s just a matter of how much does he want to play threw it. The substance abuse adds another layer. With Covid and the state of our team, he may as well ride IR. No point in causing more damage in such a nothing season.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
No problem if he needs a fresh start somewhere else, but at one point he needs to play if we're to trade him. If it's not this season, then next season. If his head isn't right, than don't rush him. I would love for the Canadiens to be a little more transparent in this whole thing.....He's our highest paid player and our best player by a fair margin. It would be nice to know if there's been a set back or whatever reason it is that things are taking so long. Fans would be ok with it if the team gave a genuine update.... But instead he's at home fishing, while his team is taking a beating.

Reactions: amethyst

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Price is still one of the best in the league when healthy but I don't think that it is realistic to expect him to carry a team on his back at this stage of his career. A fresh start elsewhere would be the best scenario for everyone involved. I would like to see him get a chance to win a cup on a contending team but who knows if it will happen.
No goalie since the new rules were established post-2004 lockout has ever carried their team - the game is simply too fast, players too strong, and technology has turned the one piece sticks into rocket launchers - add to it the games getting faster, players stronger w each passing season).

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
No goalie since the new rules were established post-2004 lockout has ever carried their team - the game is simply too fast, players too strong, and technology has turned the one piece sticks into rocket launchers - add to it the games getting faster, players stronger w each passing season).
There is one goalie since 2004 who’s name is a homophone for carry. That’s gotta count for something.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
When it comes to the habs I disagree. We have had mediocre to average rosters through most of Prices time here and he has done all he can. We have been spoiled by spectacular saves on a nightly basis with him in net and every time NHL players are polled they always seem to vote him to be the best goalie in the league.

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
When it comes to the habs I disagree. We have had mediocre to average rosters through most of Prices time here and he has done all he can. We have been spoiled by spectacular saves on a nightly basis with him in net and every time NHL players are polled they always seem to vote him to be the best goalie in the league.
No question. MB owes Carey a lot. He made people think we had a team.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
No question. MB owes Carey a lot. He made people think we had a team.
Some people here forget the many nights over the last 10 years when this team has been outshot and outplayed and still got the win. I have also read many posts calling Price a bum when we lost 3-1 and he had 40 saves, many of them highlight-reel quality. I was never a fan of building a team around a star goalie and I retain that same view. Having Price in the net gave job security to the joker, it actually caused us to endure him as GM for 5 years longer than we should have because he couldn't build a team to save his life.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Someone should have told MB..........
Price did carry our team, and the proof is.............every time he misses time with an injury, we suck donkey balls.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Some people here forget the many nights over the last 10 years when this team has been outshot and outplayed and still got the win. I have also read many posts calling Price a bum when we lost 3-1 and he had 40 saves, many of them highlight-reel quality. I was never a fan of building a team around a star goalie and I retain that same view. Having Price in the net gave job security to the joker, it actually caused us to endure him as GM for 5 years longer than we should have because he couldn't build a team to save his life.
Came in at the absolute worst time.

His first move: hiring Therrien. What a disaster. With Price we should’ve won at least one cup.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
This blows.
Doubt he is getting traded this year, just taking a year off at this point:

Reactions: cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad