Player Discussion Carey Price - Spring Savings Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
95% of the time, you and I are on the same page, totally respect your opinion here, I just don't see it that way.
His agent had MB by the balls............it could have been a cap hit ask of 12M and there was absolutely nothing our clown GM could have done...............yes, we have been that bad a team that without him ( proven ) during the Therrien years and now this, we were an absolute bottom feeder teedering on an AHL team, and this guy just dragged us to the bubble team performance, playoffs year in and year out. Hid performance at 3M and the 6.5M covered over sooo many issues with this team.
I think what Price's people thought was, he had already given his Jose Bautista deal during the 6 yr 39M dollar deal, and his next one was, the he is gonna get paid deal. Does it currently match his performance as he ages, nope not every night....but his people would tell you when he was on cheap deals, he was underpaid.
As for this year, we all need him to go on a run here!! With this team, it's an absolute unknown.
One thing for certain, Price's performance got MB his 2nd extension but it wont get him his 3rd. MB has not learned how to carry the load over the past 5-6 seasons, and that's not on Price.

I'm OK that we don't agree on it. I just never like guys going after max deals in their 30+ years. It's risky to both the team and the player cause it sets up expectations that are likely not reachable.... and both the player and team suffer from it. Especially in a salary cap sports league

Reactions: BLONG7

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Don't matter if the cap space is used right away or not. It's about flexibly and that $10.5M cap hit has not affected us until this season. Now we got young guys to sign at the back end of Price's contract. It's hurting us now and in fact, it's also hurting Price. Neither Price or the Habs benefitted from that max deal.... other than Price adding $16M to his collection of wealth
Almost all athletes will take the max amount of money they can. Rarely will a player say no to an extra 10 million dollars. Organizations make millions from these athletes. I dont begrudge any of them for taking what they can. Price is no different. He's not a charity. It's up to the management to figure out future ramifications not the player.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Almost all athletes will take the max amount of money they can. Rarely will a player say no to an extra 10 million dollars. Organizations make millions from these athletes. I dont begrudge any of them for taking what they can. Price is no different. He's not a charity. It's up to the management to figure out future ramifications not the player.

Just cause others do it, it don't make it right. It makes it selfish. I didn't say Price was the only one

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Just cause others do it, it don't make it right. It makes it selfish. I didn't say Price was the only one
Most humans are selfish and only care for themselves. Athletes have huge egos so it's even more amplified.
Fans are always talking about athletes taking less money and they are almost always wrong.
If put in that situation 99.9 percent of people will take every scrap of money they can.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most humans are selfish and only care for themselves. Athletes have huge egos so it's even more amplified.
Fans are always talking about athletes taking less money and they are almost always wrong.
If put in that situation 99.9 percent of people will take every scrap of money they can.

There are others who put the team first and still end up being millionaires and set for life. I will never respect players in their 30's going after max deals. It usually fails for both the player and the team cause it's a contract that creates too much expectations. I would however have not complained too much if Price went after a max deal in his prime.

You want a quote you can chew on? MacKinnon. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again,” the 24-year-old said. “Because I want to win with this group.”

Our fan base needs to stop targeting guys like Drouin who are producing closer to their cap hits than guys like Price.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There are others who put the team first and still end up being millionaires and set for life. I will never respect players in their 30's going after max deals. It usually fails for both the player and the team cause it's a contract that creates too much expectations

I would however not complained too much if Price went after a max deal in his prime.
The Habs logic is flawed ( no surprise with MB ) on contracts.....they want it to be escalating as they age, and that's wrong. As you say they should be getting the majority of their money when they are younger......Bergevin has made a total disaster of that......every single time.
Price should hace gone from 3M to 8-9 M per right away for 5-6 years, and then back as he aged....instead they went ELC then 3M to 6.5M to 10.5M and it backfired..... ( don't even get me going on the Subban contract )

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs logic is flawed ( no surprise with MB ) on contracts.....they want it to be escalating as they age, and that's wrong. As you say they should be getting the majority of their money when they are younger......Bergevin has made a total disaster of that......every single time.
Price should hace gone from 3M to 8-9 M per right away for 5-6 years, and then back as he aged....instead they went ELC then 3M to 6.5M to 10.5M and it backfired..... ( don't even get me going on the Subban contract )

It's not complicated. When a player in their 30's who was a former star starts asking for max deals when you talk to them less than 12 months away, you don't quickly sign. You make them a lam duck and prove themselves in the last year. Worse case, you trade them at the deadline like the Sens did with Karlsson but he was traded before the last year however. They acted earlier cause they are cheap. Maybe because they are cheap, they got lucky? Or was it strategy? Regardless, I think people get the point about max deals in 30+ years

Some of you are saying that Price's contract and him taking $10.5M AAV is fine. Come on man! It's not fine. He was selfish and took a max deal in his age 30+ years... at the cost of team competitiveness. Then I get the comments... Price didn't trust Bergevin would spend the space wisely. Well, if that was true, don't sign and force your way to UFA. It don't add up boys

Price's 6 years at $6.5M was nowhere near as horrible as Gallagher's cap hit. Even Gallagher took more than I would have liked to give him in his 30+ years but he has a case of being grossly underpaid in the previous contract. Price's AAV in his prime at $6.5M was not horrible when Lundqvist set the bar at $8.5M. Basically we went down the Lundqvist/Rangers trap

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's not complicated. When a player in their 30's who was a former star starts asking for max deals when you talk to them less than 12 months away, you don't quickly sign. You make them a lam duck and prove themselves in the last year. Worse case, you trade them at the deadline like the Sens did with Karlsson.

Some of you are saying that Price's contract and him taking $10.5M AAV is fine. Come on man! It's not fine. He was selfish and took a max deal in his age 30+ years... at the cost of team competitiveness. Then I get the comments... Price didn't trust Bergevin would spend the space wisely. Well, if that was true, don't sign and force your way to UFA. It don't add up boys
What happens is.................the agents and the PA get involved, and do the comparison thing, so once guys like Kane and Toews got their 10.5M then other ufa stars had their measuring stick...........it's the business, and the athlete is the guy who is used in a game of leverage. There is no way, you as an employee would not allow this to happen. Everyone does it, until the end of their career. No way around it in this environment. When agent s don't score their clients the right deal, they get fired out of the blue and we all wonder why? Money............that's why.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What happens is.................the agents and the PA get involved, and do the comparison thing, so once guys like Kane and Toews got their 10.5M then other ufa stars had their measuring stick...........it's the business, and the athlete is the guy who is used in a game of leverage. There is no way, you as an employee would not allow this to happen. Everyone does it, until the end of their career. No way around it in this environment. When agent s don't score their clients the right deal, they get fired out of the blue and we all wonder why? Money............that's why.

100% this is what happens but as a GM, you need thick skin and not budge. We didn't have to be desperate to retain Price at that point in time but our GM was trending low and trying to save his job. If he don't sign Price or he trades him before his last year expires, he gets more heat from our pressure cooker fan base. What do people think about Dorion now in terms of unloading the selfish ones looking for max deals? :sarcasm:

I want players that want to be in Montreal and be part of a team where they don't have to take max deals to be here. Part of that is the GM building a winning culture and that's fair but going after a max deal cause you don't trust the GM don't work for me either. Two wrongs don't make a right.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
100% this is what happens but as a GM, you need thick skin and not budge. We didn't have to be desperate to retain Price at that point in time but our GM was trending low and trying to save his job. If he don't sign Price or he trades him before his last year expires, he gets more heat from our pressure cooker fan base. What do people think about Dorion now in terms of unloading the selfish ones looking for max deals? :sarcasm:

I want players that want to be in Montreal and be part of a team where they don't have to take max deals to be here. Part of that is the GM building a winning culture and that's fair but going after a max deal cause you don't trust the GM don't work for me either. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Price success is the only reason that made molson extend Bergevin. Price saved his sorry ass job and for that Bergevin overpaid him. Now it's getting ugly like everyone expected. But luckily him Allen has been really amazing since Price injury and most likely saved the season and perhaps saved his sorry ass once again.

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Sorry man, but Price's agent had the clown by the ball$................he had to give in.................and the other issue NO absolutely NO stars want to come to Montreal. They have avoided Montreal like the plague. The only player who want to come to Montreal are the one's who are not wanted anywhere else.......even this past year, Toffolli had no offers and on day 3 of ufa, he took his agents advice and came to Montreal.

We are the least likely city in the entire NHL world where guys want to come..............if we had a Tom Brady kind of guy and built it from there, and had a Billicheck type of GM maybe just maybe your idea would work.

Reactions: cphabs and azcanuck

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I understood why they bridged Price at the time. But they should’ve gave him atleast 3-4 years. Had they done that, the could’ve extended him 6-8 years at age 25-26. Similar to how Tampa did it with Vasilievsky.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
May as well close the book on the season if Carey's not back for the playoffs. Time and time again we show this is a Carey Price team instead of a hockey team.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Price success is the only reason that made molson extend Bergevin. Price saved his sorry ass job and for that Bergevin overpaid him. Now it's getting ugly like everyone expected. But luckily him Allen has been really amazing since Price injury and most likely saved the season and perhaps saved his sorry ass once again.

Have you been watching the games and paying attention to Allen’s stats since he took over for Price? Amazing is far from the word that should be used to describe his play.

Reactions: Ezpz

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Have you been watching the games and paying attention to Allen’s stats since he took over for Price? Amazing is far from the word that should be used to describe his play.
Save percentage of .895 in 14 games before last night....he did play well last night, and gave us a chance to get back in it...
He has been a very good backup, but is not a #1 guy, as we all know. So much more pressure in this case when the true #1 goes down.....kudos to Allen for having a pretty decent season all things considered. When he was just the backup, he had some nice numbers.

Reactions: nhlfan9191 and Ezpz

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Yeah lmao don't know what games that guy is watching. Allen's stats since taking over are worse than Carey's stats for the year. If not for Allen's hot start his stats would be far below Price's on the year.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I remember you desperately wanting to throw the book at John Tavares to get him to come over here a few years ago. Doesn’t that contradict your believes on both max terms and wanting players who actually want to play here and not just collect a cheque?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember you desperately wanting to throw the book at John Tavares to get him to come over here a few years ago. Doesn’t that contradict your believes on both max terms and wanting players who actually want to play here and not just collect a cheque?

Tavares was signed from 28-34. Price was from 31-38. Go chit chat to someone else please. We don't have good conversations and you exaggerated me wanting Tavares where I would "throw the book at him" when I also said the probability is low he comes to Montreal cause he is from Ontario. All I said is you never know he might want to join Price and Weber. It's a disingenuous style you have and it causes post wars. I don't have time for you cause I really do think you are the type to hold a grudge.

Reactions: BLONG7 and azcanuck

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Tavares was signed from 28-34. Price was from 31-38. Go chit chat to someone else please. We don't have good conversations and you exaggerated me wanting Tavares where I would "throw the book at him" when I also said the probability is low he comes to Montreal cause he is from Ontario. All I said is you never know he might want to join Price and Weber. It's a disingenuous style you have and it causes post wars. I don't have time for you cause I really do think you are the type to hold a grudge.

That would be still be a max deal with the majority of it covering 30+ years. And it would be a selfish by your logic because had he signed here, it would’ve been even more money driven then Price as it would’ve been all about money.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would be still be a max deal with the majority of it covering 30+ years. And it would be a selfish by your logic because had he signed here, it would’ve been even more money driven then Price as it would’ve been all about money.

28-34 is not the same as 31-38. Bad example. And BTW, Tavares left $2M per year on the table to go to the Leafs. He was 28 and still in his prime. I respect his move and willingness to take less more than Price who took us to the absolute max deal possible.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
28-34 is not the same as 31-38. Bad example. And BTW, Tavares left $2M per year on the table to go to the Leafs. He was 28 and still in his prime. I respect his move and willingness to take less more than Price who took us to the absolute max deal possible.

He accepted that deal because he had an interest in Toronto. He also turned down the exact same offer from the Islanders. He wasn’t taking a discount to stay in Long Island the same way Price wasn’t taking a discount to stay in Montreal.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
There are others who put the team first and still end up being millionaires and set for life. I will never respect players in their 30's going after max deals. It usually fails for both the player and the team cause it's a contract that creates too much expectations. I would however have not complained too much if Price went after a max deal in his prime.

You want a quote you can chew on? MacKinnon. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again,” the 24-year-old said. “Because I want to win with this group.”

Our fan base needs to stop targeting guys like Drouin who are producing closer to their cap hits than guys like Price.
you quote outliers. They exist. Tom Brady has taken less numerous times. WE'll see if Mac takes less at the time it goes down.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

If you want to be upset, be upset that we signed him and then iced a shit team in front of him with like 9 mil in cap space to boot. That's the real problem.

The whole point of paying a guy big bucks is to try to win now. For our GM though, winning was secondary. He's not interested in winning anything. He's interested in having the team be good enough so he can keep his job. He signed Price and then put it ALL on him.

You don't have 9 mil in cap space if you're serious about winning anything. And you don't cheap out the way we did with Alzner either....

Reactions: BLONG7 and cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad