Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Lol

Is this like Candyman, where if you say Zadorov is a third pair guy enough times it becomes true?

Because if it is, of the 8 guys the Bruins have dressed on the blue line this playoffs, then 4 should be in the AHL, forever.

The Bruins don’t currently have a guy who has ever been as impactful in the playoffs as he has this year.

They’ve used Grzelcyk as a first pair guy extensively over the last 3 seasons.

Zadorov is a legit 4, who has played like a 2/3 this year in the playoffs.

We have “legit” 1’s, 2’s and 3’s who have played like 5’s and 6’s.

Worse..we have legit 4’s, 5’s, 6’s and 7’s who are asked to play 3/4 slots above what they are.

If they can find a way to replace Lindholm with Zadorov next season, the blue line gets better.

Lohrei McAvoy
Zadorov Carlo
Wotherspoon Peake

Imo, not gonna happen. They add Zadorov, Lohrei will be #3 LD. Do I think he is a top pair? Nope, but I suspect they will be looking for "nasty".

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Lol

Is this like Candyman, where if you say Zadorov is a third pair guy enough times it becomes true?

Because if it is, of the 8 guys the Bruins have dressed on the blue line this playoffs, then 4 should be in the AHL, forever.

The Bruins don’t currently have a guy who has ever been as impactful in the playoffs as he has this year.

They’ve used Grzelcyk as a first pair guy extensively over the last 3 seasons.

Zadorov is a legit 4, who has played like a 2/3 this year in the playoffs.

We have “legit” 1’s, 2’s and 3’s who have played like 5’s and 6’s.

Worse..we have legit 4’s, 5’s, 6’s and 7’s who are asked to play 3/4 slots above what they are.

If they can find a way to replace Lindholm with Zadorov next season, the blue line gets better.

Lohrei McAvoy
Zadorov Carlo
Wotherspoon Peake
How can you watch this team be unable to get the puck out against this forecheck and want to roll Zadorov-Carlo?!?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Stephenson is absolutely better than Zacha. Granted last PO in an outlier but he had 10G in 22G. Put him with #88 and he would hit his prior career high in points of 64. He is also more physical than Zacha and faster.
I would rather find out what they gave Bruce Banner and give it to Brazeau before games

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
How can you watch this team be unable to get the puck out against this forecheck and want to roll Zadorov-Carlo?!?

How can you watch this team get pushed around and intimidated and not want to find a way to include Zadorov?

How is Zadorov being so effective for a team that has a better chance at a cup than the Bruins?

Magic? Voodoo?

Or maybe he’s not as bad as you want him to be because he plays tough.

Imo, not gonna happen. They add Zadorov, Lohrei will be #3 LD. Do I think he is a top pair? Nope, but I suspect they will be looking for "nasty".

Which won’t happen?

Adding Z.

Trading Lindholm?

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
How can you watch this team get pushed around and intimidated and not want to find a way to include Zadorov?

How is Zadorov being so effective for a team that has a better chance at a cup than the Bruins?

Magic? Voodoo?

Or maybe he’s not as bad as you want him to be because he plays tough.

Which won’t happen?

Adding Z.

Trading Lindholm?

Trading Hampus. Imo, they might be thinking something like this:

XXX - 73
27 - 25
6 - 52

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Trading Hampus. Imo, they might be thinking something like this:

XXX - 73
27 - 25
6 - 52

I agree it’s unlikely.

But, something has to change on the back end IMO, and I don’t just mean personnel.

They need toughness back there.

And legit, knock a guy out with a hit or punch toughness….not the “block a shot” type of toughness.

As much as I like Carlo, he’s been pretty good (for his role) this playoffs, maybe he’s the one who gets moved?

Of course, that makes it tough to bring in Zadorov due to RH/LH.

Regardless, they can’t just come back with the same group and hope that things just somehow change.

And I will say that among those under contract next year, I don’t even dislike anyone. They’re just the wrong mix and are missing one element.

It’s like having your 5 favorite foods available to make dinner with…

But those foods are, pepperoni, cornflakes, lemons, onions and Oreos.

You might like them individually, but nothing good is happening when you combine them all.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think Zadorov is going to cost big bucks. I think we could get a 6th/7th guy that could accomplish roughly the same thing on some nights, like Desharnais, a free agent, Englund from LA as part of a LA trade, or Bahl as part of a NJ trade. All 3 would bring some of those elements but let us keep Lohrei up top where he belongs most nights.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I agree it’s unlikely.

But, something has to change on the back end IMO, and I don’t just mean personnel.

And legit, knock a guy out with a hit or punch toughness….not the “block a shot” type of toughness.

As much as I like Carlo, he’s been pretty good (for his role) this playoffs, maybe he’s the one who gets moved?

Regardless, they can’t just come back with the same group and hope that things just somehow change.

And I will say that among those under contract next year, I don’t even dislike anyone. They’re just the wrong mix and are missing one element.

You might like them individually, but nothing good is happening when you combine them all.

I can't see they trading 73, 27 or 25. They getting another nasty D could pottencially change a lot of things. That's why I'm afraid they are going into a bidding war to get Zadorov. That being said, I just can't see they willing to build another team that's is getting bullied every single game. It needs to stop.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree it’s unlikely.

We’re not getting beat in back because of toughness. Ludicrous to see it that way. We can’t get the f***ing puck out.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
We’re not getting beat in back because of toughness. Ludicrous to see it that way. We can’t get the f***ing puck out.

They’re losing for myriad reasons.

And if they’re going to lose….might as well knock some heads along the way.

And Zadarov moves the puck better than everyone other than McAvoy, Lindholm and Lohrei….among those under contract next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: capecodder

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can't see they trading 73, 27 or 25. They getting another nasty D could pottencially change a lot of things. That's why I'm afraid they are going into a bidding war to get Zadorov. That being said, I just can't see they willing to build another team that's is getting bullied every single game. It needs to stop.

And let’s not forget…

There is alway a chance (slight as it may be) that a different regime is buying the groceries this summer.

Reactions: Lord Ahriman

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
.0001% is a chance I guess

If they were to follow up a historic choke last year with a second round loss this year (to the same team that embarrassed them last year)

And

1. Nothing changes in leadership
2. The fans are fine with #1

Then those ok with standing pat will get what they deserve.

Reactions: capecodder

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't know if people are in denial or simply don't want to believe it but we have been gradually drifting away from the sound defensive structure of Julian through Cassidy to a more what I will call a freelance positional transition style team defense. This is hurting McAvoy's development and not playing to the strengths of some of our better instinctive defenseman.

My opinion is: defensive posture should be for both the defenseman and forwards - first thing is defensive position, followed by puck retrieval ( obtaining possession), followed by clearing the zone, leading into transitional play. What we are seeing is puck retrieval directly to transitional play without proper defensive zone coverage by both forwards and defenseman. Which some might argue leads to rushed plays and miscues and more turnovers. That might work in the regular season, but ... as it seems I'm beating a dead horse here, the playoffs are more about matchups, positional play, man to man coverage, and adjustments.

I don’t disagree but hard to stay conservative and structured when the forward group offers so little help transitioning to offense, so little control of center ice, and so little threat for an odd man rush.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If they were to follow up a historic choke last year with a second round loss this year (to the same team that embarrassed them last year)

And

1. Nothing changes in leadership
2. The fans are fine with #1

Then those ok with standing pat will get what they deserve.
I’ll happily take what I deserve given how the turn on the fly is working

Reactions: Saxon Eric

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don’t disagree but hard to stay conservative and structured when the forward group offers so little help transitioning to offense, so little control of center ice, and so little threat for an odd man rush.

As much as people blame the defense every time they get hemmed in, the forwards often don’t help by taking bad angles to the puck, mishandling it or making bad passes of their own.

Reactions: wintersej

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Zadorov is going to cost big bucks. I think we could get a 6th/7th guy that could accomplish roughly the same thing on some nights, like Desharnais, a free agent, Englund from LA as part of a LA trade, or Bahl as part of a NJ trade. All 3 would bring some of those elements but let us keep Lohrei up top where he belongs most nights.
I'd take a year of Edmundson in that role he should be under 2 mil and isn't that old.

Reactions: Bodit9 and SPV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad