Player Discussion Carey Price - Rehab Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I bet he is done for the year.
If you are like me, you would have pick Kopitar instead of Price because good centers are so hard to get. By drafting or trades. Kopitar never had any sort of problems, he won 2 Stanley Cups and is still a dominant center at the age of 34. His stats are impressive. He is efficient and spectacular. He is tall and stong like Malkin.

But back to Price, do you expect the day when we can say that's it, Price's era is behind us, we can breathe, we can build a team based on offence and interresting system of play? For my part, I am awaiting that day. What a relief it will be.

Reactions: dukeofjive

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For his own sake I hope he gets traded to a contender and manage to win a Stanley Cup as the icing on the cake of an amazing career.

Reactions: dukeofjive

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Two scenario for me on Price
He robidas island litr Or he terminate his contract to sign somewhere else for a cup.

I don't see him staying for a rebuild and Habs won't eat 50percent of the cap to trade him for practically nothing in return.

Surgeries over and over. Out ice thingy . Last couple of regular seasons not that great.

We'll see , wouldn't be surprised if he played his last game as a Habs against to Tampa

Reactions: Whalers Fan

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Just an outsiders view which means nothing but I think injuries are catching up with him and he now looks at this franchise as being in a complete rebuild and I doubt he wants to be part of a rebuild.

He’d be a fool to walk away. He has 20+ million reasons not too. He’s hoping the team will find a way to make a trade that works or he’ll likely spend most of if not the rest of his career on IR which I’m sure he’ll be open too.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He’d be a fool to walk away. He has 20+ million reasons not too. He’s hoping the team will find a way to make a trade that works or he’ll likely spend most of if not the rest of his career on IR which I’m sure he’ll be open too.
I doubt his current injuries will keep him on LTIR for the rest of his contract.
He will have to commit to playing hockey at his highest level or he will have to stop playing hockey.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I doubt his current injuries will keep him on LTIR for the rest of his contract.
He will have to commit to playing hockey at his highest level or he will have to stop playing hockey.

I honestly think his body is so broken, he could do the same thing Weber is doing right now and it wouldn’t matter.

Reactions: JustAHabFan

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I mean at this point it's pretty hard to imagine he ever plays for this team ever again.

But it was a fun ride , a wild, up and down, with some crazy curveballs ride, but overall, it was fun having that great a goalie for a while

Really wonder what ends up happening with him
I cant imagine Hughes was thinking during mulling over the offer that "omfg I get to rebuild this team with CAREY PRICE were SET"
Feels more like Gorton would of tried to convince him like "hey, honestly, were tearing this bitch down, starting with the 10.5 mill contract, were gonna paint a new picture baby, are you IN, I could really use you"

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
If you are like me, you would have pick Kopitar instead of Price because good centers are so hard to get. By drafting or trades. Kopitar never had any sort of problems, he won 2 Stanley Cups and is still a dominant center at the age of 34. His stats are impressive. He is efficient and spectacular. He is tall and stong like Malkin.

But back to Price, do you expect the day when we can say that's it, Price's era is behind us, we can breathe, we can build a team based on offence and interresting system of play? For my part, I am awaiting that day. What a relief it will be.
If they were looking for a center, they might as well have picked Gilbert Brule. Rookie of the year in WHL, second to Crosby as rookie of the year in CHL, good stats in WHL and ranked 5th among NA skaters.

Kopitar would have been the off the board pick, a Slovenian playing in Sweden?

Last edited:

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012

The Habs have made many terrible selections since the millennium, but picking a potential Hall of Fame goalie who was the only reason for any team success for over a decade wasn’t one of them. Who knows what happens with Kopitar if he ends up here instead of LA. There’s no guarantee he would’ve been anything for us with the way we handle kids, particularly centers.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We will miss him dearly when he's gone. What a player.

One of the greatest goalies in our history. Just unlucky to have played in this era.

You adjust for era differences, and you get a draft with Plante, Dryden, Roy, Price, Vézina, Durnan and the others all at 18 years old. Price doesn't look out of place, I'd be fine if I ended up with him, and wouldn't feel like I lost that much in the bargain.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I can't tell nothing by Price. He is hardest player to judge I have seen here. Just when I think his career is downturn he turns in a performance like the Bubble or last spring. Then, when I think he has a few years left he does this season.

Going by that, strong chance he stands on his head when he comes back

Reactions: MilesNewton

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Habs have made many terrible selections since the millennium, but picking a potential Hall of Fame goalie who was the only reason for any team success for over a decade wasn’t one of them. Who knows what happens with Kopitar if he ends up here instead of LA. There’s no guarantee he would’ve been anything for us with the way we handle kids, particularly centers.
It's not an exaggeration to say that Carey Price has been one of the most impactful players in the league over the course of his career. Just an awesome player. He's made mediocre teams great and has managed to drag even bad teams into the playoffs. He's a HOF talent that we wasted and it kills me. He was a money player who consistently showed up in the playoffs too. We should've been able to win at least one cup with him in the lineup.

Unfortunately, right when he was entering his prime MB took over. In comes Therrien, Bouillion, Douglas Murray and it was just a disaster. The young club that we had in 2013 didn't need a lot of work. It just needed somebody to not f*** it up. And unfortunately, that's what we did.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's not an exaggeration to say that Carey Price has been one of the most impactful players in the league over the course of his career. Just an awesome player. He's made mediocre teams great and has managed to drag even bad teams into the playoffs. He's a HOF talent that we wasted and it kills me. He was a money player who consistently showed up in the playoffs too. We should've been able to win at least one cup with him in the lineup.

Unfortunately, right when he was entering his prime MB took over. In comes Therrien, Bouillion, Douglas Murray and it was just a disaster. The young club that we had in 2013 didn't need a lot of work. It just needed somebody to not f*** it up. And unfortunately, that's what we did.
The young club didn't have a single center to count on, period. A winger like Paciorretty needed a center a la Tavares. He only had Gomez, who have been replaced by Desharnais. Galchenyuk or Eller were not #1 center material. And after Paciorretty there wasn't much talent on wings. Camallerri was gone, Cole was gone, we had a good defensive team of grinders. The D was respectable and the goalie position was our unique concession player. To say we had enough to win one Cup is a wrong revision of history. Like Ron Fournier said at the time, we had "un bon p'tit club", good for the regular season but not built to go far in PO.

Before that last season when we went to the SC finals, because of that strange season, bulb, covid, etc, the PO run with Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez, Hamrlik, Plekanec, Markov, etc, it was Halak in the goals, not Carey Price the future HOF at the age of 22.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Any information on the reason for the restart regarding his knee injury?
Another question, I understand his zero access to the media during his rehab stint but how long does that continue for?
From an outsider looking as well as his Angela Prices social media it appears as if his wife is controlling the dialogue and the Habs are just standing on the sidelines watching,

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I think him and his wife are sick and tired of living in Montreal.

Then he can void his contract and sign with any other team. Everybody's happy.

There's no denying he's had a great career overall (with lots of highs and lows) but I'm not sure he really loved the Habs as much as the Habs loved him. I think much like Saku Koivu once he leaves town (via trade, UFA or retirement) he will never be coming back.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

I dont subscribe to that theory. I think that they are not opposed to a change, but I wouldn't say sick and tired.

Regardless, he's impossible to trade until trade deadline 2023 at best. He's not close to return to play, and despite his great run in the playoff, no GM can spend assets/cap space to acquire a G that may not play this year... On top of that he would have to waive his NTC and the team that would maybe make him think twice don't need him or can't afford him.

KH does not have any option with Price in the short term. Whether Price wants to stay or go, he need to get healthy and play as a no1 G for us again. Then decisions can be made.

That being said, I always suspected that the only reason he was trying to get back was to play in the Olympics. I also wondered if he enter the player assistance program in part to be "clean" for that same objective. Regardless, I'm of the view that the best outcome here would be for him to LTIR the rest of his contract and spend time with his family. He gave enough to hockey.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
We will miss him dearly when he's gone. What a player.

One of the greatest goalies in our history. Just unlucky to have played in this era.

You adjust for era differences, and you get a draft with Plante, Dryden, Roy, Price, Vézina, Durnan and the others all at 18 years old. Price doesn't look out of place, I'd be fine if I ended up with him, and wouldn't feel like I lost that much in the bargain.
Being blessed with goaltending stars really amplifies the times like now that our goaltending has been merely normal/subpar. Having been spoiled for so long, I look to a team like the Oilers where the issue is amplified as it is really their biggest stumbling block and feel sympathy for them. I thank Price for being that guy that was so good that we'd be disappointed when he was merely normal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Don't think they are sick and tired but they probably would welcome a change. Moving the family out west so Angela can raise the kids being closer to other family members would be no doubt something they would consider. They didn't waive their NMC that easily

3 kids who are growing fast and the Habs flawed roster which is fading fast. Timing is right for that change in more than one way

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Then he can void his contract and sign with any other team. Everybody's happy.

There's no denying he's had a great career overall (with lots of highs and lows) but I'm not sure he really loved the Habs as much as the Habs loved him. I think much like Saku Koivu once he leaves town (via trade, UFA or retirement) he will never be coming back.

I'm not really sure Price loves hockey TBH. He's obviously incredibly talented, and you can't be that good without an exceptional work ethic and he's put in his time so I don't question his commitment to this point. But now? I think he'd be happier spending his time fishing like Byfuglien. He might grind it out for the paycheck for his family, or LTIR. Maybe he chases a cup if a contender can fit him in, but I don't think Price is concerned with his legacy at this point. Who knows...this is just speculation obviously and I don't know what's in the man's head, but putting myself in his shoes, I don't know that I'd have much left in the tank for hockey at this point. Especially in Montreal.

Reactions: amethyst

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Pricer is done, in my opinion. Substance issues, health concerns, doesn't need the money, who knows what the NHL be next year with Covid. Hope he has a happy life now, I just can't see him playing again what is the motivation at this point? Can't see him wantint to go through this rebuild, and who's taking a chance on him at this point and his age/salary?

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The young club didn't have a single center to count on, period. A winger like Paciorretty needed a center a la Tavares. He only had Gomez, who have been replaced by Desharnais. Galchenyuk or Eller were not #1 center material. And after Paciorretty there wasn't much talent on wings. Camallerri was gone, Cole was gone, we had a good defensive team of grinders. The D was respectable and the goalie position was our unique concession player. To say we had enough to win one Cup is a wrong revision of history. Like Ron Fournier said at the time, we had "un bon p'tit club", good for the regular season but not built to go far in PO.

Before that last season when we went to the SC finals, because of that strange season, bulb, covid, etc, the PO run with Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez, Hamrlik, Plekanec, Markov, etc, it was Halak in the goals, not Carey Price the future HOF at the age of 22.
So you like Kopitar and Halak, what is your take on Price?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
So you like Kopitar and Halak, what is your take on Price?
Price is up and down. Unpredictable. Character hidden behind a shell, he doesn't talk, he's mysterious.
Then there is a lot of gossips about his personal life and also substance use.
He is obviously an excellent goalie but there are other excellent goalies in the league. I like his technique. But his technique is very demanding for his knees.

What I don't like is all the medias saying is the best goalie, like some brainwash they try to enforce.
People are sometimes smart enough to make-up their own opinions, I don't want all the medias saying the same mantra all the time.

If Kopitar was with the Habs, Gainey would not trade McDonagh to sign Gomez. So that PO run with Halak, Gionta and Cammalleri would include Kopitar and McDonagh. I think we would have beaten the Flyers and who knows what happen after.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pricer is done, in my opinion. Substance issues, health concerns, doesn't need the money, who knows what the NHL be next year with Covid. Hope he has a happy life now, I just can't see him playing again what is the motivation at this point? Can't see him wantint to go through this rebuild, and who's taking a chance on him at this point and his age/salary?

Even if he isn't motivated to play anymore, he still has to be motivated to cash in on the rest of his contract. That's just way too much money to leave on the table.

So any option that still allows price to see the contract through is a viable one at this point.

Him agreeing to void his contract is a pipe dream. He won't get anywhere near the same compensation if he renegotiated with some other team now.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and LaP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad