Player Discussion Carey Price - Rehab Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He won’t be back. Period. I give it a slight chance he is coming back to play some games at the end of the year to prove he is healthy and moveable during summer but I would really be surprised.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
At this point with him restarting his knee rehab from scratch it seems, I would be surprised if he is back for more than a game or two towards the end of the year.
It's not only that. Him and Angela are in a couple therapy. There must be a lot of things going wrong and it will not be resolved in the next month. I dislike reading that when I read about sport, as much as when politics interfear with sports but I can't do anything about that. If Price is not ready to return playing hockey, it means he's not tradable. No team will want him so what happen next? He retire? What about his salary? Habs buy out his contract? I'm not expert on that, I'm just a dude who like watching hockey and now everything about Price is not hockey related. Habs Canadiens are in a really bad time.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's not only that. Him and Angela are in a couple therapy. There must be a lot of things going wrong and it will not be resolved in the next month. I dislike reading that when I read about sport, as much as when politics interfear with sports but I can't do anything about that. If Price is not ready to return playing hockey, it means he's not tradable. No team will want him so what happen next? He retire? What about his salary? Habs buy out his contract? I'm not expert on that, I'm just a dude who like watching hockey and now everything about Price is not hockey related. Habs Canadiens are in a really bad time.
I don't follow tabloid stuff so no clue about his marriage that is personal and I follow hockey. That's part of the problem in Montreal, the media on players personal lives is just terrible and I don't blame them anymore for not wanting to play here.

As for his career, if it gets to a point that he retires well he is off the books and the Habs have all that space on the cap for as they rebuild I guess.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't follow tabloid stuff so no clue about his marriage that is personal and I follow hockey. That's part of the problem in Montreal, the media on players personal lives is just terrible and I don't blame them anymore for not wanting to play here.

As for his career, if it gets to a point that he retires well he is off the books and the Habs have all that space on the cap for as they rebuild I guess.
But if he recover in one year, let's say he can play january 2023, what about his salary on the cap?
If you are the gm, what you planify about the cap space?

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But if he recover in one year, let's say he can play january 2023, what about his salary on the cap?
What's with the secrecy - even with the injury- something smells rotten here and January 2023?? Wtf he better retire before that lol

Reactions: cphabs

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well you asked if he retires. If he can play, he plays and the team hopes he does well and can then trade him once he puts up some good numbers hopefully. That is if he wants to be traded as he controls it all.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This whole thing seems a bit odd
I think there is more behind this

Agreed. Hard to connect the dots and assume but it it's off. I think they want to tank and also rest Price. Why bring him back into this mess of a season? Rest him where maybe he gets a few games at the end of the season and then he has pretty much a full year of rest. That has to help his mileage

If he is done and goes on LTIR like Weber. I'll be shocked

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well you asked if he retires. If he can play, he plays and the team hopes he does well and can then trade him once he puts up some good numbers hopefully. That is if he wants to be traded as he controls it all.

I have a hard believing that he just stays in Montreal and decides to go on LTIR. Gives up on his chase for a cup. I think they are taking their time and why bring him back into this mess of a season? Makes no sense at this stage

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Ok I see. You bring up another level of problem. Like if his knees and his personal life wasn't enough.
I respect him, I don't want to comment on his personal life but geez, as a Habs fan, do I deserve that?
What about us Habs fans?

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. Hard to connect the dots and assume but it it's off. I think they want to tank and also rest Price. Why bring him back into this mess of a season? Rest him where maybe he gets a few games at the end of the season and then he has pretty much a full year of rest. That has to help his mileage

If he is done and goes on LTIR like Weber. I'll be shocked
I'm thinking there is another reason or 2 why he isn't playing -

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ok I see. You bring up another level of problem. Like if his knees and his personal life wasn't enough.
I respect him, I don't want to comment on his personal life but geez, as a Habs fan, do I deserve that?
What about us Habs fans?
Not much can be done, as long as the league has no movement clauses, the players that get them have control should a time arrive that the team wants to move them. They don't have to agree to anything they don't like.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Buyout seems unlikely because the habs barely safer anything and even have a little penalty the 4 years after his contract. He could just join Weber on LTIR, then it's not a big problem and if he gets healthy again he could still play. He could retire but that would cost him a lot of money so not sure why he would do that.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

While I agree with you generally about this, in this case Angela herself is on social medial publishing about them Carey and family, so....

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buyout seems unlikely because the habs barely safer anything and even have a little penalty the 4 years after his contract. He could just join Weber on LTIR, then it's not a big problem and if he gets healthy again he could still play. He could retire but that would cost him a lot of money so not sure why he would do that.
Is he on Long Term?

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
If he retires is his contract not voided?

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
1) Agree that there's very little news or talk about Price. Which is a bit odd.
2) It's unusual. Even the media is not really asking questions, perhaps they have been privately asked not to?
3) I'm with the others on this. Really can't see Price staying with this organization long term. Even if there's some issues with his wife (which is none of our business).

We should probably get mentally ready for him to be gone. But what I wonder is HOW he will be leaving the organization. What's the long-term impact of the different scenarios?

a) Traded straight up. No impact outside losing the best goalie in the world, but I digress.
b) Traded with retained salary. Better than nothing!
c) Retires. Cap recapture. It sucks.
d) LTIR, stays with the organization. Not the end of the world. Can deal with that.
e) Buyout. Lower cap hit, but we'll be a disadvantage for a while. Still better than retirement.
f) Nothing happens. Everything is ok and we're just being paranoid.

What are the other options?

Reactions: MilesNewton

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
1) Agree that there's very little news or talk about Price. Which is a bit odd.
2) It's unusual. Even the media is not really asking questions, perhaps they have been privately asked not to?
3) I'm with the others on this. Really can't see Price staying with this organization long term. Even if there's some issues with his wife (which is none of our business).

We should probably get mentally ready for him to be gone. But what I wonder is HOW he will be leaving the organization. What's the long-term impact of the different scenarios?

a) Traded straight up. No impact outside losing the best goalie in the world, but I digress.
b) Traded with retained salary. Better than nothing!
c) Retires. Cap recapture. It sucks.
d) LTIR, stays with the organization. Not the end of the world. Can deal with that.
e) Buyout. Lower cap hit, but we'll be a disadvantage for a while. Still better than retirement.
f) Nothing happens. Everything is ok and we're just being paranoid.

What are the other options?

As far as I am aware there is no cap recapture should he retire. He was not over 35 when the contract was signed and the contract is not an old one like Weber's that was before the rules were changed. If he retires the whole amount comes off the cap.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Is he on Long Term?

Right now? no idea, capfriendly shows his status as NHLPA PLAYER ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, but they show an actual cap hit of 94 millions and 8 more millions available so that would be 22 millions over the cap ceiling. And that should be the sum of the contracts of Weber, Byron (both LTIR) and Price. So whatever his status is it has to work the same way like LTIR.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Right now? no idea, capfriendly shows his status as NHLPA PLAYER ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, but they show an actual cap hit of 94 millions and 8 more millions available so that would be 22 millions over the cap ceiling. And that should be the sum of the contracts of Weber, Byron (both LTIR) and Price. So whatever his status is it has to work the same way like LTIR.
Thanks for the info-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad