Confirmed with Link: Carey Price Press Conference 12pm ET (Not Announcing His Retirement)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are we better off with Price on LTIR if he retired would we get hit with recapture penalties ?

Probably not. We would have around $10.75M of cap recapture (as it stands at the moment). He's not going to retire cause that's a lot of money to say good bye too. But lets look at the numbers. Think I got this right but not 100% sure.

* $2.6875M for 4 years if he retired this past off season
* $2.6666M for 3 years if he retires after this season
* $3M for 2 years if he retires after 23/24
* $3M for 1 year if he retires after 24/25.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Probably not. We would have around $10.75M of cap recapture (as it stands at the moment). He's not going to retire cause that's a lot of money to say good bye too. But lets look at the numbers. Think I got this right but not 100% sure.

* $2.6875M for 4 years if he retired this past off season
* $2.6666M for 3 years if he retires after this season
* $3M for 2 years if he retires after 23/24
* $3M for 1 year if he retires after 24/25.

There is no recapture penalty if Price were to retire since his contract was signed after the 2012 CBA and he was not 35+ at the time of signing.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I really hope that he does. Although I could also see him taking on a role with Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary or even Winnipeg.
Goalie scout or something for the habs once his kids grow up? Or openning hockey rinks all over whatever remote magic mountains they grow goalies like him that don’t have access to facilities? I would have a ranch for sure in some hidden valley with at least 3 private golf holes that lead to my pool.

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Does he stay with the club in some capacity after the contract and LTIR is finished?
Goalie coach? Asst GM?
I do think that options is on the table. I've heard by M-A Perreault that he said yesterday that he still want to win the cup in any capacities, so maybe it's an option for him.
Price was always a West Coast guy, he loves the habs but won't be in Montreal after he retires.
Lecavalier doesn't leave in Montreal same with Mellanby when he was here.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Just LOL

Where you in that locker room ? Funny how every one who was in that lockeroom praise Weber leadership and how much he change everything in that lockeroom
So you were?

Yeah they also said nice things about MB, whats your point. Most people aren't impolite about others when a mic is shoved into their face.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So you were?

Yeah they also said nice things about MB, whats your point. Most people aren't impolite about others when a mic is shoved into their face.
Yes but someone like Pierre Gervais wasn't oblige to say anything on Weber when he said that he's one of the best leader he saw with the Habs and that he change the culture of that team. He didn't say nothing on Pacioretty by exemple. He was just not the big raw raw in the media but he did a lot of things that where just not aware of

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Price was always a West Coast guy, he loves the habs but won't be in Montreal after he retires.

He isn't going to Anahim lake, I'll guarantee you that,. he'll go where his kids and family are entrenched

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'd agree with you if Weber wasn't the captain. The fact is he basically ghosted the team for a whole season. He couldn't be bothered to even do a press conference from home via zoom or learn a lick of French. We all know who the real leader of the team was.

He sacrificed his body for the team and he deserves respect for that but he wasn't very memorable or likeable and was captain of some of the most mediocre Habs teams I've ever watched.
Marinaro in his latest podcast says he’s been told, Weber was given strict orders by the org, to not be around the team or speak to any media last season because they felt it would be an unnecessary distraction.

The org apparently now realizes they handled Weber situation improperly, hence the do-over with Price

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Marinaro in his latest podcast says he’s been told, Weber was given strict orders by the org, to not be around the team or speak to any media last season because they felt it would be an unnecessary distraction.

The org apparently now realizes they handled Weber situation improperly, hence the do-over with Price
Not to mention Price can deal with the media better, and as we have seen had no issue discussing with Basu his addiction to Alcohol...
Price was carrying a heavy load the last 10 years, and eventually Alcohol started winning.............good on him for handling this now, and opening up about his issues....

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not to mention Price can deal with the media better, and as we have seen had no issue discussing with Basu his addiction to Alcohol...
Price was carrying a heavy load the last 10 years, and eventually Alcohol started winning.............good on him for handling this now, and opening up about his issues....
Everybody knows danger of alcoholism. Can't understand a person with his resources could let it get him in such a state.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Everybody knows danger of alcoholism. Can't understand a person with his resources could let it get him in such a state.
When you are holding a team, a city, a province, and millions worldwide on your shoulders because the GM thinks that you alone can win a stanley cup with 4th liners...I can't see how it didn't happen sooner to be honest. Doesn't include how he is held up as an example for all natives, as a leader, the best in the world, team Canada, community functions etc. A lot of expectations, many unreasonable for someone that happens to be good at a sport.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Just LOL

Where you in that locker room ? Funny how every one who was in that lockeroom praise Weber leadership and how much he change everything in that lockeroom
Changed… for the worse? The Habs did much worse after acquiring Weber — both in terms of missing the playoffs and their performances in the playoffs… except for that last run of course.

Weber’s time with the Habs saw many young players fail to reach even normal expectations, he went through three coaches, we saw the Habs nearly miss the playoffs for three straight years, we saw Domi’s massive fall from grace, we saw Drouin get worse and worse (what is leadership when the most vulnerable perform worse than ever?)…

If Weber isn’t responsible for the bad results and many long losing streaks and bad performances and issues with players like Beaulieu, Domi and Drouin, then he isn’t responsible for the good aspects that coincided with his tenure either.

I’m sure he’s an important personality but there are important personalities across the NHL. Even if he’s an incredible leader with an Aura™️ All this shows is that b good leadership isn’t worth much and doesn’t matter much on the statline or the standings.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Are you kidding here?
Wow..............just wow.
The entire city was led to believe by a donkey GM that, who knows, if we can make da playoff? Price is the sole reason the donkey GM got a 5 year extension he did NOT deserve.

I am wondering if you tink CP31 is the first athlete to ever have this happen to him? lol
Cuz rich folks would never ever have any kind of pressures, or troubles that would have them have addictions?
The list is long.................be real.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Some people just do not want help or cannot admit they have a problem. Just last month we lost a close friend of 40 years to alcoholism. She was worth several million dollars, so certainly had the resources to get help. Unfortunately, she was in denial until the very end, despite many efforts by family and my wife. She left behind two sons in their early 20's.

I am glad that Carey was able to admit his problems and seek help - - for himself, and his family.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Alcoholism isn't just something that poor or uneducated people suffer from. It's a medical condition called Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD). This condition impairs the ability to stop or control alcohol usage. Most don't even realize they have a problem. Or they feel they're strong enough to kick it whenever they want.

Sadly, it runs in parts of my own family. I've seen members of my family who are highly intelligent, strong-willed people. Who were just overpowered by the strength of alcohol.

I would look at them and couldn't figure out why they just couldn't stop.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
members of my family who are highly intelligent, strong-willed people. Who were just overpowered by the strength of alcohol.

I would look at them and couldn't figure out why they just couldn't stop.

It's not alcohol in of itself. The real strenght of addiction lies in our own susceptibility to addiction. Alcohol is a mere catalyst, albeit a strong one. Your last sentence describes all addicts, including gambling addicts, sex addicts and all behavioral addictions alike, which do not have psychotropic or psychoactive biological agents. No chemical agent acting as a catalyst to abnormal highs.

The true way to understand addictions is by recognizing its self-soothing nature related to developmental problems with emotional self-regulation.

Addiction is a very complicated subject with a broad range of confounding causal factors, from genes, epigene markings, childhood experiences, especially related to attachment-reward caregiver relationships with the development of emotional self-regulation, but above all, traumatic childhood experiences that range from physical abuse to simple emotional neglect of many types.

I'll end with a salient example of this relationship, an experiment by Bruce Alexander called Rat Park. Now Rat park has had its critics, but the whole problem with the criticism is not recognizing how Rat Park was simply a more intricate reimagining of a series of previously well-recognized experiments on rats with Marian Diamond's seminal work that led to the birth of the expression "neuroplasticity".

Long story short, a few decades ago everyone thought the chemicals in drugs were the main cause of addiction. To prove this, rats were put into simple small cages, often either alone or in pairs and were given a choice between fresh water or water laced with cocaine. Most rats died of their addictions. Proof was made.

The whole problem with that is there was already work done that showed the major methodological problems with those expirements. The aforementioned Dr Diamond had set-up experiments conclusively showing how a rat's upbringing and social life had a huge impact on neurobiological development.

So Alexander, aware of Diamond's work, came up with Rat Park. Instead of isolating one or two rats into a simple cage with the bare minimum, he created a large cage with everything a rat could dream of. A tunnel maze, wheels and other rat attractions, food, but most importantly, enough space and aminities for a whole bunch of rats. Heroin laced water and regular fresh water. Know what happened? Barely any rat died of addiction. Because like us, rats are social creatures.

More addictions in society is a symptom of a deteriorating social environment.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It's not alcohol in of itself. The real strenght of addiction lies in our own susceptibility to addiction. Alcohol is a mere catalyst, albeit a strong one. Your last sentence describes all addicts, including gambling addicts, sex addicts and all behavioral addictions alike, which do not have psychotropic or psychoactive biological agents. No chemical agent acting as a catalyst to abnormal highs.

The true way to understand addictions is by recognizing its self-soothing nature related to developmental problems with emotional self-regulation.

Addiction is a very complicated subject with a broad range of confonding causal factors, from genes, epigene markings, childhood experiences, especially related to attachment-reward caregiver relationships with the development of emotional self-regulation, but above all, traumatic childhood experiences that range from physical abuse to simple emotional neglect of many types.

I'll end with a salient example of this relationship, an experiment by Bruce Alexander called Rat Park. Now Rat park has had its critics, but the whole problem with the criticism is not recognizing how Rat Park was simply a more intricate reimagining of a series of previously well-recognized experiments on rats with Marian Diamond's seminal work that led to the birth of the expression "neuroplasticity".

Long story short, a few decades ago everyone thought the chemicals in drugs were the main cause of addiction. To prove this, rats were put into simple small cages, often either alone or in pairs and were given a choice between fresh water or water laced with cocaine. Most rats died of their addictions. Proof was made.

The whole problem with that is there was already work done that showed the major methodological problems with those expirements. The aforementioned Dr Diamond had set-up experiments conclusively showing how a rat's upbringing and social life had a huge impact on neurobiological development.

So Alexander, aware of Diamond's work, came up with Rat Park. Instead of isolating one or two rats into a simple cage with the bare minimum, he created a large cage with everything a rat could dream of. A tunnel maze, wheels and other rat attractions, food, but most importantly, enough space and aminities for a whole bunch of rats. Heroin laced water and regular fresh water. Know what happened? Barely any rat died of addiction. Because like us, rats are social creatures.

More addictions in society is a symptom of a deteriorating social environment.
Thanks Oz, I'm definitely going to look into this "Rat Park" by Bruce Alexander.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad