Confirmed with Link: Carey Price Press Conference 12pm ET (Not Announcing His Retirement)

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Price looked the most at peace that I have ever seen him and I guess there is a chance that he might come back but from listening to him it sounds like the chances of that are slim. He just wants to have a good quality of life and to be pain-free. Long term injured reserve until his contract ends and then retirement.
I hope he gets all of that.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Are we better off with Price on LTIR if he retired would we get hit with recapture penalties ?

There is no recapture penalties if Price retired. On LTIR the Habs lose cap flexibility and have carryover bonus overages deducted from the Cap the next season.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
There is no recapture penalties if Price retired. On LTIR the Habs lose cap flexibility and have carryover bonus overages deducted from the Cap the next season.
Thats what i thought but i have this guy telling me Price is doing us a huge favor being on LTIR because if he retired we would get hit with recapture penalties

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I’ll keep this short because I’ve stated it way too many times.

He always choked in big games before the run to the final. That year he finally got through whatever mental block was causing that before. The Carey Price before then would have crumbled after that first bad game against TB.

No he isn’t one of the greatest goalies the Habs have ever had. In terms of longevity, sure. But not in terms of legacy and winning pedigree. There is a long list of guys ahead of him that he will never come close to.

If you are counting guys like Theodore, Hackett, Thibeault, Huet then sure he’s one of the greatest in comparison.

I didn’t want to rehash this, but your obnoxious post forced me to lmao.
No you just love to come on and well lets say stir the pot with bad takes while being very argumentative.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you or your brother-in-law try to screw up insurance company for 2000$ it's a scandal and the insurance company will do everything to prove you're frauding them. But when it come with Price it's okay to screw up big money (10,5M) because CP have an huge fanclub behind him. The insurance company is happy to pay. Because if they don't, they'll have an huge negative publicity.

But shhhht ! let's pretend I didn't wrote this because I'm in the land of his diehard fans.
The insurance companies know what's going on. It's going to continue happening. I'm not sure why you'd bring the fans into this because it has nothing to do with anything.

It's not like they don't know that NHLers have a short shelf life. I'm sure the premiums are astronomical. If it wasn't profitable for them they wouldn't do it.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Eh, it's not necessarily that involved.

As long as Price (and Weber) do X, Y, and Z then NHL and/or NHLPA lawyers are satisfied to sign-off on their condition as LTIR. X, Y, and Z involve doctor's appointments, rehab/physio sessions, and so on. I bet media appearances are encouraged too (injured players can be asked to make themselves available, retired ones are under no such obligation).

If the NHL and NHLPA both agree to set the threshold for ongoing Super-LTIR condition such as Weber and Price, then it isn't a bad thing -- is it? What's the point of making players suffer and try to return to the sport? The NHL would argue for non-guaranteed contracts and the NHLPA has more to lose than gain if it accepts these conditions.

On the other hand, I felt it was lame that Weber was away from a team that struggled so much and so painfully last year. He's going to be forgotten as a Hab sooner than most of us think, and he'll deserve it. Price is in no such risk, so he should do whatever feels best for himself.
Weber doesn't owe us anything. He sacrificed his body and career just to take us to the finals. That means nothing to you?

And why the hell would he want to be around that shit show last year anyways? His career was over and he knew it. He lives out west. Him being here under these circumstances would have felt unnatural.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The insurance companies know what's going on. It's going to continue happening. I'm not sure why you'd bring the fans into this because it has nothing to do with anything.

It's not like they don't know that NHLers have a short shelf life. I'm sure the premiums are astronomical. If it wasn't profitable for them they wouldn't do it.
Yes, I realise I'm too conventional and I think with an obsolete down to earth mind. It's different today, it's like the astronomic millions actors do with movies. What I previously wrote is what many people think. People who work hard to earn 1000$, people living in the country, etc. This is a clash of social status. And the misunderstanding that comes with.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Nah man, that's weird. The whole way his retirement was handled was. He was the captain of the Habs even though he was injured, he easily could have shown up at the start of the season and taken part in the ceremony, the city would have loved him for it. Instead there's this weird animosity about the end of his story, odd decision with no communication at all.

I guess he's not obligated to do anything but that is a fairly big screw you to the fans, I think many people feel that way. Price has been 10 times as transparent and graceful with his injury situation. At least we know the likelihood of him playing again, with Shea we just figured it out eventually after not hearing anything for the whole year.
And people complain about Koivus leadership. Weber was here because he took a mercenary contract and Nashville saw a way out. He never (to me) felt like he was leading anything, he never stood out even as much as Souray when it came to much of anything. Just a man mountain of a place holder.

But look at the guy that pulled the trigger on the weirdest sideway move. Pk getting traded never bothered me for being traded. PK being moved for an older Dman with nothing better than saving a bit on cap, with no compensation for the habs says a whole lot more on it still being a crap trade despite Subbans drop off. COuld have at least moved him for something we needed, or choose that time to start the rebuild, or anything. Just another in a series of maddening moves by Dumpster-maestro.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Thats what i thought but i have this guy telling me Price is doing us a huge favor being on LTIR because if he retired we would get hit with recapture penalties

Since Price signed his contract after the 2012 CBA and since he wasn’t 35+ at the time of signing it isn’t subject to recapture penalties if he were to retire, see below tweet from last year:

Last edited:

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Weber doesn't owe us anything. He sacrificed his body and career just to take us to the finals. That means nothing to you?

And why the hell would he want to be around that shit show last year anyways? His career was over and he knew it. He lives out west. Him being here under these circumstances would have felt unnatural.
I'd agree with you if Weber wasn't the captain. The fact is he basically ghosted the team for a whole season. He couldn't be bothered to even do a press conference from home via zoom or learn a lick of French. We all know who the real leader of the team was.

He sacrificed his body for the team and he deserves respect for that but he wasn't very memorable or likeable and was captain of some of the most mediocre Habs teams I've ever watched.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
COuld have at least moved him for something we needed, or choose that time to start the rebuild, or anything. Just another in a series of maddening moves by Dumpster-maestro.
We needed the physical, net-clearing presence that Weber brought. Badly. In fact, had we acquired it a couple or more years before we finally got it, Carey might still be between the pipes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Why would it even be a topic of conversation that he would announce his retirement right now?

He's not an idiot.

Reactions: BLONG7

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Why would it even be a topic of conversation that he would announce his retirement right now?

He's not an idiot.

Agreed, there is absolutely no reason for him to retire. He’s still owed $24.5 million and he got injured playing in the NHL, which is the reason he’s on LTIR. Also, based off The Athletic story and this press conference I don’t expect we’ll see him play again.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He's not an idiot.

One thing I wonder is how the insurance premiums work? Is it a policy that is held on a league wide basis so everyone pays the same premiums?

Or do the teams negotiate them personally? If it's personal, I imagine Molson's premiums have jacked up considerably in the last couple years.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I'd agree with you if Weber wasn't the captain. The fact is he basically ghosted the team for a whole season. He couldn't be bothered to even do a press conference from home via zoom or learn a lick of French. We all know who the real leader of the team was.

He sacrificed his body for the team and he deserves respect for that but he wasn't very memorable or likeable and was captain of some of the most mediocre Habs teams I've ever watched.
I guess that's fair

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
As a guy myself who kicked the bottle 2 and a half years ago after partying for 35 years, Price coming out and seeking help in public has given this old man part of the strength he needed in my own process. All these stars seeking mental health therapy and opening up about addiction is a great help with my own ego and getting over it to seek help and not feel ashamed about it. Cheers Mr. Price.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
As a guy who kicked the bottle 2 and a half years ago after partying for 35 years, Price coming out and seeking help in public has given this old man part of the strength he needed in my own process. All these stars seeking mental health therapy and opening up about addiction is a great help with my own ego and getting over it to seek help and not feel ashamed about it. Cheers Mr. Price.
good for you. Takes a man to come out and explain it all as Carey did, all the best for his family

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bonuses aren't covered supposedly, so Habs are footing most of it, 100% of the bonuses and whatever 20-30% of the actual salary.

I'm starting to wonder if the insurance varies contract to contract. Basically how much risk the teams wants to take at the time of signing the contract. Honestly, I'm not sure if fans or media will know this deep of info cause my gut tells me it does vary from player contract to player contract.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
And people complain about Koivus leadership. Weber was here because he took a mercenary contract and Nashville saw a way out. He never (to me) felt like he was leading anything, he never stood out even as much as Souray when it came to much of anything. Just a man mountain of a place holder.

But look at the guy that pulled the trigger on the weirdest sideway move. Pk getting traded never bothered me for being traded. PK being moved for an older Dman with nothing better than saving a bit on cap, with no compensation for the habs says a whole lot more on it still being a crap trade despite Subbans drop off. COuld have at least moved him for something we needed, or choose that time to start the rebuild, or anything. Just another in a series of maddening moves by Dumpster-maestro.
Just LOL

Where you in that locker room ? Funny how every one who was in that lockeroom praise Weber leadership and how much he change everything in that lockeroom

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad