Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Any chance he will make a surprise come back when the Habs become a playoff team? He's only 36 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: rik schau

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Any chance he will make a surprise come back when the Habs become a playoff team? He's only 36 years old.
There is zero percent chance he comes back to play. I posted this earlier in the thread and explains how his femur no longer has any cartilage.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
How come ? He’s been paid like a superstar for is entire tenure here .. and still is . He might no got all the love on these boards. Who gives a shyt.

He got all the love, respect. And money from the org. He can no chill for the rest of life . I think he received a lot from the CH.
He gave us 8 years of elite goaltending being paid at a bargain before Bergevin gave him a retirement cheque. And he still took us further on that crippling contract everyone complained about then a lot of stars in this league have taken their teams in 2021.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
In retrospect, he was easily the 3rd best player of his generation after Crosby and Ovechkin, but this was cloaked behind the circumstances. Price was a towering goalie just as good as Dryden.

We might not see another one like him for decades.

If you think Malkin or Kane tilts the ice as much as Price, you are crazy, insane.

Maybe Getzlaf or Toews at their peak. Otherwise, for his overall body of work, playing the most pressure position in hockey; goalie in MTL, Price was King.

(I don't consider Pronger from the same generation).

easily 3rd best player in the league? Woah thats your opinion and I couldnt disagree more with you. When you look at the goalies that won the cup during his era , you can easily see that a goaltender doesnt tilt the ice like you think. Many teams won with pretty average goaltender.
The goaltending position in the new NHL is so overated by our fan base. I explain that with of our rich history in that position Dryden, Roy, Plante. Fortunately the new management group seem to knows that you dont put too much stock on your goaltending position and more in building a great team on the ice. Monty and Primeau can win you a cup, with the right team in front of them

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
easily 3rd best player in the league? Woah thats your opinion and I couldnt disagree more with you. When you look at the goalies that won the cup during his era , you can easily see that a goaltender doesnt tilt the ice like you think. Many teams won with pretty average goaltender.
The goaltending position in the new NHL is so overated by our fan base. I explain that with of our rich history in that position Dryden, Roy, Plante. Fortunately the new management group seem to knows that you dont put too much stock on your goaltending position and more in building a great team on the ice. Monty and Primeau can win you a cup, with the right team in front of them
I feel it would be helpful to talk about actual statistical and tactical impact of a player on the game; I find listing cup winners somewhat anecdotal. 4 of the last 10 had won the president trophy so worse than a coin flip for starters.

Carey was also their best puck moving defenseman some seasons as well (barely kidding here) and the crap teams in front of him would go from record breaking streaks to record breaking suck whenever he got injured.

I’d be curious about win over replacement in his prime, not sure how well tracked that would be (not like today for sure).

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I feel it would be helpful to talk about actual statistical and tactical impact of a player on the game; I find listing cup winners somewhat anecdotal. 4 of the last 10 had won the president trophy so worse than a coin flip for starters.

Carey was also their best puck moving defenseman some seasons as well (barely kidding here) and the crap teams in front of him would go from record breaking streaks to record breaking suck whenever he got injured.

I’d be curious about win over replacement in his prime, not sure how well tracked that would be (not like today for sure).

If you only look at statistics except for 2-3 seasons, Carey had pretty average statistics for a goaltender. Hes was a middle of the pack guy for the most part of his career. So 3rd best player, during his era which span for what 12 seasons, in the league is just a fallacy.

The other poster saind Price was underated , I think completely the opposite. IMO he was one of the most overated player in our team during his era. His contract is as bad as the Gallagher one

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If you only look at statistics except for 2-3 seasons, Carey had pretty average statistics for a goaltender. Hes was a middle of the pack guy for the most part of his career. So 3rd best player, during his era which span for what 12 seasons, in the league is just a fallacy
He was the best statistical goaltender from 2010-2017. Save percentage around .930 during that stretch as well. That’s not a small sample size. He was in the league too young at 20 and given to big of a role to quick and the injuries piled up at the end of his career. But he was never a middle of the packed guy and definitely never regarded as such.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
He was the best statistical goaltender from 2010-2017. Save percentage around .930 during that stretch as well. That’s not a small sample size. He was in the league too young at 20 and given to big of a role to quick and the injuries piled up at the end of his career. But he was never a middle of the packed guy and definitely never regarded as such.
100% this. Unlike other goalies, Price was our best player. Not much support year in year out. You can’t say that about many goalies

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
If you only look at statistics except for 2-3 seasons, Carey had pretty average statistics for a goaltender. Hes was a middle of the pack guy for the most part of his career. So 3rd best player, during his era which span for what 12 seasons, in the league is just a fallacy
the fact that he pretty much had the single greatest statistical Team Canada Olympics run (.6 GAA .972 S%) shows how good he would've been with teams like Roy and Brodeur had in front of them in the NHL.

his stats were middle of the pack in the NHL because he dragged bottom-barrel teams into relevance.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
If you only look at statistics except for 2-3 seasons, Carey had pretty average statistics for a goaltender. Hes was a middle of the pack guy for the most part of his career. So 3rd best player, during his era which span for what 12 seasons, in the league is just a fallacy.

The other poster saind Price was underated , I think completely the opposite. IMO he was one of the most overated player in our team during his era. His contract is as bad as the Gallagher one
You are making very black and white comments with “can easily see…”. and “it’s the opposite”, I don’t find that super useful beyond sparking more hot takes.

Goalie stats behind the teams he played will be affected for sure. I heard he was not a great goalie because he could not win cups his whole career, which to me is silly. I agree with the poster above when talking about a good portion of fans and media (who loved to spark that as a black/white debate because habs sell).

It’s why I’d be interested about his impact on the team by modern metrics.
edit - I obviously agree his contract is horrendous

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
the fact that he pretty much had the single greatest statistical Team Canada Olympics run (.6 GAA .972 S%) shows how good he would've been with teams like Roy and Brodeur had in front of them in the NHL.

his stats were middle of the pack in the NHL because he dragged bottom-barrel teams into relevance.

People seem to generally lack the understanding that surrounding great players with the right mix of players is the difference between cup contenders and not. Look at Suzuki / Caufield when adding a winger with size to their line that can be effective in areas they can’t. Price couldn’t score goals… lol

Reactions: Shutdown

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
You are making very black and white comments with “can easily see…”. and “it’s the opposite”, I don’t find that super useful beyond sparking more hot takes.

Goalie stats behind the teams he played will be affected for sure. I heard he was not a great goalie because he could not win cups his whole career, which to me is silly. I agree with the poster above when talking about a good portion of fans and media (who loved to spark that as a black/white debate because habs sell).

You are right its not black and white. Price was dominant for a few seasons nobody can deny that. The only point that tick me off was the same rhetoric we heard for many seasons. If we won the game it was because of Price and his miraculous saves and if we lost the games it was the team in front of him fault.

I will never expect a player to tilt the ices in a such a way that he can turn a losing team into a contender. You need many pieces in order to have sucess as a NHL team. I just think in todays era with goaltenders having similar built , similar technique , similar training. The position became very robotic like. Hence why I think in building a winning NHL team, the goaltending position should really be the last of your concern. I feel with Monty and Primeau we have a capable duo for half the salary of Price. The money saved can be used for better forward or defensemen who in my book actually have a chance to tilt the game in our favor

The other poster said he was underated which is kind of comical. He won every Molson cups there was to win while he was playing. He got the biggest contract in the club history (didnt even show up for a press conference) , he was the media darling and a fan favorite. How is that underated?

What more does he need? His jersey retired , a statue in front of the bell center?

Reactions: Naslundforever

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

If you go back and look at player polls, Price was always the goalie other teams regarded as the best. Even during his "mediocre" seasons, he managed to be the guy that shooters least likely wanted to face. His last playoff run, with everything we know now, should be a good indicator as to how he was able to impact a team.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
You are right its not black and white. Price was dominant for a few seasons nobody can deny that. The only point that tick me off was the same rhetoric we heard for many seasons. If we won the game it was because of Price and his miraculous saves and if we lost the games it was the team in front of him fault.

I will never expect a player to tilt the ices in a such a way that he can turn a losing team into a contender. You need many pieces in order to have sucess as a NHL team. I just think in todays era with goaltenders having similar built , similar technique , similar training. The position became very robotic like. Hence why I think in building a winning NHL team, the goaltending position should really be the last of your concern. I feel with Monty and Primeau we have a capable duo for half the salary of Price. The money saved can be used for better forward or defensemen who in my book actually have a chance to tilt the game in our favor

The other poster said he was underated which is kind of comical. He won every Molson cups there was to win while he was playing. He got the biggest contract in the club history (didnt even show up for a press conference) , he was the media darling and a fan favorite. How is that underated?

What more does he need? His jersey retired , a statue in front of the bell center?
Cheers :) I wouldn’t be opposed to maybe a bust instead of one of those epic full body Maurice statues though ;)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Yet when he was injured in 2015-2016 the team went from top 3 in the league to bottom 10. His career saves % is 917. It puts him 9th since 1993-1994 among goalies with 400+ games. He is 4th since 1993-1994 among goalies with 600 games played behind Hasek, Luongo and Lundqvist. He led an average lineup to a stanley cup final, won the Calder dup in the AHL (MVP), won the gold medal at the u20. gold medal at world cup, gold medal at olympic game. won the hart and vezina trophy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

We could never ever score for him...............that's it.
He dragged awful teams to the playoffs and the brink of the playoffs.
We were absolute garbage without him................every time he went down, we saw this.

Total failure on the organization, to ride the goalie, just because they could. He covered up so many many of our issues....

He was always a team first guy and so humble...........he deserved better.
No he doesn't get a statue, maybe a number retirement.....but he doesn't need that as you say, he doesn't need anything.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price was an auto-win if we scored three or more. He consistently won playoff series we should've lost against better teams. That's not easy to do.

All we needed was a little more scoring.

I think with goaltending, people look at it through the wrong lense. "You can win with mediocre goaltending..." Well, yeah that's happened before. You know what else has happened? Great teams have lost because of goaltending. It's crazy to me that you'd build up a great team and then cheap out on the goalie. All that work and you wind up getting smoked because the guy can't keep the puck out of the net. Look at the Senators of the 2000s. They should've won multiple cups. They had a perfect team but their goaltending sucked. All that work and they got nothing out of it. How many years have Toronto wasted? How many years did they get beaten by a great goalie? Look at Edmonton... they should've won multiple cups with the scoring they have.

More than any other position an elite goalie can win you series that you weren't supposed to win. If you add some scoring to great goaltending you're probably going to win multiple cups. If you cheap out on it though, your awesome team can waste years. Maybe you'll win a cup... but you'll have lost many that you could've otherwise won.

Last edited:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I don't think it's at all ridiculous to put his peak impact on the game at a similar level of Crosby or OV.

If you take Price off and add one of those guys I'm not sure the Habs would have done any better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

His contract has been pretty meaningless.

Why we signed him to that and then destroyed the team in front of him I'll never understand. But even behind those shit teams he still beat Pittsburgh in the first round and then brought us to a crazy cup final. After that he went on LTIR as our team rebuilt. It did nothing to hurt us.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think it's at all ridiculous to put his peak impact on the game at a similar level of Crosby or OV.

If you take Price off and add one of those guys I'm not sure the Habs would have done any better.
From 2014 to 17 he was arguably the best player in the league. Tragic that 2016 he got hurt while being 10-2 as that probably would've been back to back Hart trophies.

After that the club in front of him was wrecked and he went with it. How much of that was health we'll never know. But there's no doubt that MB ruined his career by putting him behind atrocious clubs. I'm sure watching his numbers fall to crap killed him mentally. How much that was a factor on his substance abuse is unknown. But I have to think it didn't help.

I'd love to see him behind the clubs we're going to ice in the next few years. No doubt we'd be winning cups.

Reactions: Canadienna

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Carey Price was just a much better goaltender than his contemporaries. You can't look at the impact of regular goaltenders and say "goaltenders don't have an impact". Carey Price is as special as they get as hockey players.

Carey Price could've win us many, many cups with a team in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad