Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Every contract has legal wiggle-room, but this game of loopholes can only continue for so long. Not even a class-act like Price can keep pretending he's injured when he's medically deemed finished.
I think all Price needs to do is live in Vancouver and keep quiet. I don’t think the league will go after Montreal on this.

The purpose of having those penalties was to discourage teams from finding a way of circumventing the cap by paying older players a long contract and then having them retire and come off the books. That wasn’t the case here. Price was in his late 20s when he signed. Honestly everyone thought he’d still be playing now.

I could be wrong in this but I’m not going to fret on it I doubt the league will come after us here.

Reactions: Lshap and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Wow... so how does this affect Price's LTIR status? Regardless of what Price may want, if he's medically diagnosed as unable to play, shouldn't that move him from 'Injury Reserve' to retired?
Similar to a WCB injury at work..............you get paid until you can get back, or in this case until the contract expires.....makes sense, hockey injured the guy, hockey will pay the guy.

The cap in a case like that, really should not be involved at all, a career ending injury should not penalize the habs as per se......

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Similar to a WCB injury at work..............you get paid until you can get back, or in this case until the contract expires.....makes sense, hockey injured the guy, hockey will pay the guy.

The cap in a case like that, really should not be involved at all, a career ending injury should not penalize the habs as per se......
This makes sense. I agree Price should be paid, but as you said, if his career is done so should any salary connection to the Habs. That's what insurance is for.

Reactions: BLONG7

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This makes sense. I agree Price should be paid, but as you said, if his career is done so should any salary connection to the Habs. That's what insurance is for.

Insurance doesn't pay Price. Insurance covers a % of the team's salary to price, paid to the team, after the team pays Price's full salary. It's not the player who is insured, but the team that insures the player. He's under contract and will remain so until it either runs out, is bought out or traded.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think when Lou while with the leafs, just deemed guys no longer effective, hence the Robidas Island, and who was to question. Those are the cases I think the league looks at more closely, in a case like ours, Price had gone through so much in order to play ( painkiller issues, and addiction ) and the medical aspect of what the docs all agree on...........
There is no abuse of the cap or circumvention in his case.
Hall of fame guy, no doubt about it.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The bulk of the current contract is paid as a 'signing bonus'. That money was guaranteed to be paid before the ink was dry. Curious why an insurance company would cover something that would have paid even if he had never played another game.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The bulk of the current contract is paid as a 'signing bonus'. That money was guaranteed to be paid before the ink was dry. Curious why an insurance company would cover something that would have paid even if he had never played another game.

They cover a % of his remaining salary and remaining bonuses, not his cap hit or what's already paid.

Reactions: DAChampion

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The league won't have a problem with this because the deal was negotiated in good spirit, and it's not like the Habs wipe their hands clean either because there are certain headaches that come with LTIR cap relief.

What the league does have a problem with are those deals that are blatantly signed to circumvent the cap. The weber deal was an example of this where philadelphia signed him to a front loaded deal where his final years barely have anything on the books in an effort to get his AAV down.

But the Flyers also had an easy out if they were ever questioned on it. They would have said that their intention was to serve a poison pill to nashville, and so the cap circumvention was merely incidental.

Anyways, I think the nhl closed some loopholes a few years ago with respect to these weber type deals.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Agreed, he should still be playing and I bet a healthy Price would still be a top 5 goalie. His career while fantastic is such a wasted opportunity.

Really both him and Weber, two of the best to do it at their positions and never played for a true top team. Swap Weber and Lindstrom, Detroit and Nash, and Weber has 3 Norris trophies. Weber was the best defensive dman AND leading his team in scoring, find me a comparable.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Might be overly dramatic but when Price "retired" a part of me died.
Maybe...but I felt the same way. Being a long time fan, I've seen players come and players go. Losing Price though, the way it happened. That was different.

Reactions: Hacketts

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In the next couple years science is going to take quantum leaps, and cartilage will be able to be recreated. Price will return to his throne and accomplish his final task. Until then, we pray.
Get Carey on the stems cells 24/7 until the Habs are contenders again.

undertaker-coffin.gif

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Just posted this in another thread, thought It'd be appropriate to post here as well...

The Carey Price effect. 2015-2016 edition:

In 2015, Up until US Thanksgiving - Habs are in first place overall in the league. Most wins, most points, best p%, most goals scored, etc.

The day before US Thanksgiving - Carey Price is injured, misses the rest of the year.

From US thanksgiving until end of season, Habs are in last place. Least points, worst p%, lease wins, most goals against, 2nd worst goals for.

With Price - 1st in almost every metric.
Without Price - last in almost every metric.

It's crazy the impact he has on his team. Both in goaltending and stopping actual pucks, but also in simply inspiring confidence in his teammates and allowing them to take more risks/score more goals.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Might be overly dramatic but when Price "retired" a part of me died.

I've always been a Habs fan but it's tough lately. For the longest time I would argue with fans on here about not wanting to tank, and just trying to make playoffs, because "anything can happen" if we make it. And to me - this was always 100% reliant on Carey Price.

You make the playoffs, even on a "poor" team, but with Carey Price....who knows? We at least have a shot. Just look at 2021, he carried us to finals and almost a cup.

I like guys like Caufield and Suzuki fine, but if we somehow exceed expectations and made playoffs this year....so what? We have no chance to do any real dammage. It's just not the same without Price.

Such a difference having Carey Price vs not.

Tragic that he’s not still playing.

Sometimes I wonder what his game would be like if he made a miraculous recovery.

Hypothetical - tomorrow morning he wakes up 100% better & healthy. Decides to train and within ~1 month is in game shape and makes a return.

Does all the rest he have on his body plus all the extra motivation he'd have at making an unexpected comeback allow him to return to absolute top of league, maybe even channeling his peak? Or - at age 36, with 2+ full years of rust and his reflexes slowing, he's simply been gone too long that he might do ~ok as a #1 goalie, but not much better?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I've always been a Habs fan but it's tough lately. For the longest time I would argue with fans on here about not wanting to tank, and just trying to make playoffs, because "anything can happen" if we make it. And to me - this was always 100% reliant on Carey Price.

You make the playoffs, even on a "poor" team, but with Carey Price....who knows? We at least have a shot. Just look at 2021, he carried us to finals and almost a cup.

I like guys like Caufield and Suzuki fine, but if we somehow exceed expectations and made playoffs this year....so what? We have no chance to do any real dammage. It's just not the same without Price.

Sometimes I wonder what his game would be like if he made a miraculous recovery.

Hypothetical - tomorrow morning he wakes up 100% better & healthy. Decides to train and within ~1 month is in game shape and makes a return.

Does all the rest he have on his body plus all the extra motivation he'd have at making an unexpected comeback allow him to return to absolute top of league, maybe even channeling his peak? Or - at age 36, with 2+ full years of rust and his reflexes slowing, he's simply been gone too long that he might do ~ok as a #1 goalie, but not much better?
If his body stayed intact, his style would’ve aged very well. He didn’t rely on having to be super athletic. He minimized movement as much as possible. And other strengths like handling the puck and vision would’ve stayed with him all the way threw. The biggest issue with Price as he got into his 30’s is they were constantly having to make adjustments to his game based around his physical limitations.

Reactions: StCaufield

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just posted this in another thread, thought It'd be appropriate to post here as well...

In 2015, Up until US Thanksgiving - Habs are in first place overall in the league. Most wins, most points, best p%, most goals scored, etc.

The day before US Thanksgiving - Carey Price is injured, misses the rest of the year.

From US thanksgiving until end of season, Habs are in last place. Least points, worst p%, lease wins, most goals against, 2nd worst goals for.

It's crazy the impact he has on his team. Both in goaltending and stopping actual pucks, but also in simply inspiring confidence in his teammates and allowing them to take more risks/score more goals.
Very few players have that kind of impact. He was arguably the best player in the league for a short period of time. If he'd been healthy in 2016 it would've been back to back Hart trophies and his legacy would be even better than it is now. It's a shame his career was limited by injuries and incompetent mgmt. Great freaking goalie.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I still read people who say he's proof you can't build around a goalie... :laugh: Nevermind the fact that we did NOT in fact build around him. If we had, we'd have won a cup.

I mean, it's great to dream. But he'd definitely be a 'win now' guy and we can't win now.

We could probably have gotten five first rounders from Edmonton if we ate a lot of his contract though... :laugh:

Someday digital printers will be able to print up tendons and cartilage and what have you... too bad it's not there today.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

I think you also can't discredit that Price is probably #2 all time after Brodeur for puckhandling goalies. He gained possession for us quite frequently and Allen/Monty are quite bad at it

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think you also can't discredit that Price is probably #2 all time after Brodeur for puckhandling goalies. He gained possession for us quite frequently and Allen/Monty are quite bad at it
He was as good as any goalie I've seen on the front. Hextall, Dipietro, Brodeur, Price... they were like third defensemen out there.

I was at a game in Buffalo and he almost scored an empty net goal. The puck made it half way down the ice and was going to go in but there was a line change and a Sabre came on just in time to intercept it. :laugh:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He was as good as any goalie I've seen on the front. Hextall, Dipietro, Brodeur, Price... they were like third defensemen out there.

I was at a game in Buffalo and he almost scored an empty net goal. The puck made it half way down the ice and was going to go in but there was a line change and a Sabre came on just in time to intercept it. :laugh:
Of course that didn't stop posters on this board telling him to stop after the three or four times in his entire career it led to a goal against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad