Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Two players from the 80’s were greater than everyone else, yes. Lemieux/Gretzky. Not all of them, this is a strawman. Only two dominated the opposition, both of them, it matches the eye test, it matches their careers where they continued well beyond the 80’s as the best in the world.

Goaltending improved largely because of the equipment and the innovation by Roy. However, elite goalies of the 80’s proved they could play in any era, Roy included, so no his dominance was not only because it was a weak era for goaltending it was because he, himself was an elite goaltender.

You can’t compare save% between the 80’s and 00’s and ascribe anything meaningful to it. The fact that Roy is only .011 behind Price is remarkable.
Not when you consider their respective teams.

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
I'm not sure he's a HOF'er , do you really think? Regardless I have a psa 10 ....

Lets start a PSA10 club

oNsZVGt.jpg

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Two players from the 80’s were greater than everyone else, yes. Lemieux/Gretzky. Not all of them, this is a strawman. Only two dominated the opposition, both of them, it matches the eye test, it matches their careers where they continued well beyond the 80’s as the best in the world.

Goaltending improved largely because of the equipment and the innovation by Roy. However, elite goalies of the 80’s proved they could play in any era, Roy included, so no his dominance was not only because it was a weak era for goaltending it was because he, himself was an elite goaltender.

You can’t compare save% between the 80’s and 00’s and ascribe anything meaningful to it. The fact that Roy is only .011 behind Price is remarkable.
It isn't remarkable because prices injury riddled seasons after 2016 completely destroyed his average. I don't know w hat you're even talking about with your first paragraph, my point about the 80s wasn't about Gretzky and Lemieux but about league scoring and all the stars below them not being better than modern stars. Goalies like Marc Denis have talked about how much better goalies have gotten since the 80s so no you can't just plop goalies from the 80s into modern times cause they aren't up to standard. The position was partially revelutionized by Roy but just like with Rock, just because the Beatles revolutionized the genre doesn't mean they were better than those who came after them. It's not a coincidence that Roy stopped winning Norris's when goaltending started to become much better during the dead puck era

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
Nice, also have a Ken Dryden PSA 9, but its a Topps .. and Roy PSA 9 OpeeChee.. sending in another one I'm sure.. positive... could be higher than a 9. Its perfect!
Nice - I don't have any older cards unfortunately. I do have a PSA10 YG Caufield and Suzuki though

Reactions: Habs

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
agreed, I have a Bob Gainey SGC 9.5 which I really cherish, I think its the only one graded that high that I've still seen. Love collecting old cards now, like fine wine!
I prefer the older cards too. I’ve got a Dionne card I love. I have a Dryden and Lafleur too.

I’ve also got Roy’s, Lemieux’s, Oates, Hull, Robitaille, Lafontaine, Yzerman, Vernon, MaCinnis etc etc. I prefer those cards over the newer cards. Too many sets, I am into collecting Young guns, but not much else from the newer stuff.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It isn't remarkable because prices injury riddled seasons after 2016 completely destroyed his average. I don't know w hat you're even talking about with your first paragraph, my point about the 80s wasn't about Gretzky and Lemieux but about league scoring and all the stars below them not being better than modern stars. Goalies like Marc Denis have talked about how much better goalies have gotten since the 80s so no you can't just plop goalies from the 80s into modern times cause they aren't up to standard. The position was partially revelutionized by Roy but just like with Rock, just because the Beatles revolutionized the genre doesn't mean they were better than those who came after them. It's not a coincidence that Roy stopped winning Norris's when goaltending started to become much better during the dead puck era
I can’t do this anymore, agree to disagree and move on. Roy never won a Norris, he was never a defensemen.

Marc Denis said it, so it must be true. Of course goaltending has gotten better, largely because their equipment is twice the size it used to be. If you played butterfly in the early 80’s you left the entire top half of the net open. You play butterfly now and 80% of it is covered. This has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the gear.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
HOFer no doubt. Likely first ballot.
He’s first ballot and it’s not even close. The goaltenders we’ve seen get in the last couple of year ensures it. As time goes on, guys who are missing things who previously wouldn’t be considered will get in because the league has grown and it’s much harder to have a collection of everything from both a personal and team standpoint for accomplishments.

Reactions: japhi

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He’s first ballot and it’s not even close. The goaltenders we’ve seen get in the last couple of year ensures it. As time goes on, guys who are missing things who previously wouldn’t be considered will get in because the league has grown and it’s much harder to have a collection of everything from both a personal and team standpoint for accomplishments.
Nothing’s ever certain. Pierre Pilotte wasn’t named a top 100 player and neither was Malkin. :laugh:

But I agree with you, he absolutely should be. I think he’s going to be a 1st ballot.

Last edited:

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
The Hall of Fame thinks they have to induct 10 players a year, so, even if Price didn’t have the distinction of being the world’s best goalie over a significant period of time, he’s getting into the Hall

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I prefer the older cards too. I’ve got a Dionne card I love. I have a Dryden and Lafleur too.

I’ve also got Roy’s, Lemieux’s, Oates, Hull, Robitaille, Lafontaine, Yzerman, Vernon, MaCinnis etc etc. I prefer those cards over the newer cards. Too many sets, I am into collecting Young guns, but not much else from the newer stuff.

Nice, yeah I'm not into the new stuff any more. Would grab a McDavid .. for sure, but my interest is pre 1986 for the most part. So glad I thought Gretzky was a loser in the 70's and I put his rookie cards in my spokes to make my bike sound like a motorcyle, I really showed him :(

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’ve got Slaf and Slaf black canvas. I have Guhle and Guhle clear cut. I got my boy Jordan Harris too. I’ve got a ksa 10 Bedard that I might dump soon before his real young guns comes out.,

Last edited:
Reactions: japhi

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Andrew Raycroft on the NHL network today and talked about how much the game has changed. So many slapshots back in the day. Now it’s a very East West game making it a lot tougher for goalies as they have to move laterally a lot more than they used to. Thought I was interesting given the different eras are being compared.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well I like this hockey card talk. I've got most of Prices low numbered stuff, Cup ARP, I have his YG exclusives /100, the OPC /25, BD, etc. Absolutely love this player, it is an absolute tragedy he never played on a top team. A guy like Vasilvsky, who is a total stud, has never sniffed Price at his peak.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well I like this hockey card talk. I've got most of Prices low numbered stuff, Cup ARP, I have his YG exclusives /100, the OPC /25, BD, etc. Absolutely love this player, it is an absolute tragedy he never played on a top team. A guy like Vasilvsky, who is a total stud, has never sniffed Price at his peak.

IMG_0751.jpg
IMG_2740.JPG

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Price went in for meniscus surgery and that is where they found out about the femur had lost its cartilage.

Wow... so how does this affect Price's LTIR status? Regardless of what Price may want, if he's medically diagnosed as unable to play, shouldn't that move him from 'Injury Reserve' to retired?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Wow... so how does this affect Price's LTIR status? Regardless of what Price may want, if he's medically diagnosed as unable to play, shouldn't that move him from 'Injury Reserve' to retired?
He's on Robidas's island aka LTIRetired and "looking" for a treatment that would allow him to play again...

He probably need a replacement, but that would guarantee he never plays again and that would cause him to retire for real, slap the habs with a huge problem on the cap for a year and not see the rest of his money.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He's on Robidas's island aka LTIRetired and "looking" for a treatment that would allow him to play again...

He probably need a replacement, but that would guarantee he never plays again and that would cause him to retire for real, slap the habs with a huge problem on the cap for a year and not see the rest of his money.
Every contract has legal wiggle-room, but this game of loopholes can only continue for so long. Not even a class-act like Price can keep pretending he's injured when he's medically deemed finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad