Carey Price first goalie in NHL history to win 8 games in a row for 2 seasons

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Sure there are but this thread isnt about that. Its about a guy that hasnt always had it easy in Montreal. There was a time that at least 50% or more wanted Halak instead. Nothing came easy for Price in Montreal. He had to work hard for the status he has now even though he was slated as eventually becoming a great NHL goalie, he went through many tough times in a high pressure environment. The fact he was able to overcome that shows just how much character he has. For all that I tip my hat off to him. Hes a great athelete and you need to have followed him to really appreciate just how much he is a cut above the rest.

:laugh:

Does anything come easy for any goalie ever? They play the most expendable position in the league. The separation between starting goaltenders is barely tangible.

Price came into Montreal as the golden child and was never in jeapordy of being traded and always has been given chances due to his sheer potential and draft position. He really wasn't in jeapordy of being traded. The blues asked for Price if I remember correctly and he wasn't even being considered to be moved over halak in 2010, even after Halak's amazing run.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
:laugh:

Does anything come easy for any goalie ever? They play the most expendable position in the league. The separation between starting goaltenders is barely tangible.

Price came into Montreal as the golden child and was never in jeapordy of being traded and always has been given chances due to his sheer potential and draft position. He really wasn't in jeapordy of being traded. The blues asked for Price if I remember correctly and he wasn't even being considered to be moved over halak in 2010, even after Halak's amazing run.

Yes, because you know.. potential... they gamble, they won...

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
HF wants Price to fail really really badly, unfortunately he cant. 1 player allows Habs fans to be cocky.

That or their 24 championships, located in one of the hockey meccas of N.A.

They are essentially the Yankees for the NHL, they don't have to win a lot recently to still have something to be cocky about.

I feel like half of HF wants Price to fail and be in a beer league in a few seasons, and the other half wants him to redefine the position and become the Gretzky of goalies. The competing visions for Price is what causes the tension on these boards for the level headed fans :laugh:

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Yes, because you know.. potential... they gamble, they won...

Everyone knew why Price would be held over Halak despite Halak's great performance. The people who wanted him traded were in the minority at the time as everyone saw his potential. How high he was going to soar...nobody knew/knows. Sit back and enjoy the ride :yo:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Too bad Montreal can't find recent team success when it counts.

They just need to stay healthy and pick up a ringer and extra D at the deadline and imo they can do some damage if Price is playing like this. I would throw my cards on the table this year if I'm Bergevin while Weber is still in his prime.

I hate to say this, but they'll also need a better deterrent than Andrew Shaw late in the year when guys start "accidentally" running Price. They absolutely need to make it clear that if you touch him you will be hurting. Because there is no doubt in my mind teams are going to start to want to invade his territory.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Someone posted a tweet on reddit that Carey Price in his last 100 games was 74-20-6, .938SV%, 1.82GAA, 16 shutouts.

That was before tonight's win.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I never said that....but if you knew what Price went through here, you would not say that. There are not many teams in the NHL that go through as much media attention and preasure that the Habs go through.

Youre right. As someone who was born and raised in Montreal, I have no idea what the media is like in that city.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
feels like its almost taboo to be in awe of the best goalie in the world.(notice i said goalie not player) I know mostly its because its the habs, and say if price were in Chicago we would be having to delete numerous threads etc about him. Its as if its illegal to appreciate one of the greatest runs by a goalie in the NHL. Its alright to have tons of crosby ovechkin mcdavid threads... but every time theres a price thread its met with some kind of negativity. Ill admit... in 2010.. I wanted to keep Halak.. to the point where i was pissed when we traded him and got so little in return..I figured PRice would bring us a monster return given the potential etc.

I have eaten crow... over and over. I sauteed it and added lime and black pepper. made a side of hash browns and accompanied it all with a nice Pilsner from the czech republic.

But i mean.. its fine now. He is the best goalie there is. it may last a few years or another few months. but the ride he is on now..doesnt suggest anything will turn in the short term.

so far all the 'is werenski the next best god/dman' threads.. I think its fine for habs fans to get a little choked up when it comes to watching the best goalie in the world right now.

and you know what else.. its ok for the rest of you... to smile in admiration.. just cuz.. its soemthing special that doesnt belong to you... its ok to be in complete shock and awe... you know..

like i am with Mcdavid and LAine and stuff

P.S. is he like 15-0-1 in his last 16 games or something.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Most fans didn't think Hasek was one of the best in the NHL when he was playing all those years in Buffalo. He didn't get better in Detroit, and yet, Only when he won the cup, and Moreso when he retired, did the majority of fans reflect on his career as a whole and consider him one of the all-time best goalies in NHL history.

Same thing with Price. Most fans will not agree he is one of the best unless he wins a cup AND has a long long career being the best or near best goalie until he retires. Anything less, and you will have the majority of fans disagreeing with the "best player" or "best goalie" rhetoric.

I think fanboyism clouds peoples objectivity just as much as prejudice. And neither side can see it as such. :dunno:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
He is by a far margin. Probably up there with Maurice Richard, Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr.

ATG.

Come on now... we can argue he's the best player in the NHL now, but let's not compare him to the best of the best yet, when he hasn't won much to be considered... He's not even as good as Vezina, Roy and Brodeur... needs to win a couple of Stanley cups and Conn Smythe trophies...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Most fans didn't think Hasek was one of the best in the NHL when he was playing all those years in Buffalo. He didn't get better in Detroit, and yet, Only when he won the cup, and Moreso when he retired, did the majority of fans reflect on his career as a whole and consider him one of the all-time best goalies in NHL history.

Same thing with Price. Most fans will not agree he is one of the best unless he wins a cup AND has a long long career being the best or near best goalie until he retires. Anything less, and you will have the majority of fans disagreeing with the "best player" or "best goalie" rhetoric.

I think fanboyism clouds peoples objectivity just as much as prejudice. And neither side can see it as such. :dunno:
It's easier to respect a player when he's no longer destroying your team.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Come on now... we can argue he's the best player in the NHL now, but let's not compare him to the best of the best yet, when he hasn't won much to be considered... He's not even as good as Vezina, Roy and Brodeur... needs to win a couple of Stanley cups and Conn Smythe trophies...

although i think its ridiculous to compare him to legends .. i dont think he is far off being compared to goalie stars. I mean.. should he win the vezina hart and conn smythe in the next two or three years (yes including the cup) is there any doubt that he would automatically be in the top 10-20 of all time in goalies.

i mean.. gold medal, world cup, stanley cup multiple vezina and hart...

would be tough to match. especially since his stats have doen nothing but improve the last 4 years.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Carey is one of the most overrated goalies I have ever seen in the big leagues. Somehow he always seems to luck out and win against the Leafs but hopefully Matthews will score be able to score a few dozen hat-tricks on him in the years to come.

Further proving that the cliche of this board lacking intelligence is true.

Carey Price has statistically and performance wise the best goalie in the world for at least 3 years.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
If Carey Price is playing and there weren't 2 threads made about how awesome he is in a given week, did he even really play?

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Further proving that the cliche of this board lacking intelligence is true.

Carey Price has statistically and performance wise the best goalie in the world for at least 3 years.

Yeah but I don't like the team he plays for so he's overrated. 8)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad