Carey Price first goalie in NHL history to win 8 games in a row for 2 seasons

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Price is the GOAT Hab.

Easiest MVP candidate I've ever seen.

the habs arent the coyotes, being considered the GOAT hab puts you in consideration as the GOAT period. He's not there yet. He's not even the best hab goalie of all time, he might be third, or fourth much less if you include players.

But all of this nonsense of where he fits in wrt a historical context, ALL of that nonsense goes away when you watch him play. For the MOAR GOALZ crowd, he must be public enemy number one.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
First in NHL history to win 8 straight for two consecutive seasons?

Like others have said, it sounds unbelievable that it hasn't been done before, especially with guys like Grant Fuhr or Ken Dryden

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I hate threads like these because theyre essentially tempting fate...

And mainly fueling hab hate.

But giddammt he's good - and I have lived through Roy and hasek. Hasek, the guy who literally gave me nightmares in his prime.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Sure there are but this thread isnt about that. Its about a guy that hasnt always had it easy in Montreal. There was a time that at least 50% or more wanted Halak instead. Nothing came easy for Price in Montreal. He had to work hard for the status he has now even though he was slated as eventually becoming a great NHL goalie, he went through many tough times in a high pressure environment. The fact he was able to overcome that shows just how much character he has. For all that I tip my hat off to him. Hes a great athelete and you need to have followed him to really appreciate just how much he is a cut above the rest.

This is what I love most about Price.

He had to battle to get where he is, he wasn't just ordained the best goalie overnight. He went through rough times and came out stronger.

He's a gem.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He is by a far margin. Probably up there with Maurice Richard, Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr.

ATG.

I hope atg stands for something sarcastic because he's definitely not close to them and won't be unless he wins the Vezina 8 times on the next 10 years.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
That or their 24 championships, located in one of the hockey meccas of N.A.

They are essentially the Yankees for the NHL, they don't have to win a lot recently to still have something to be cocky about.

I feel like half of HF wants Price to fail and be in a beer league in a few seasons, and the other half wants him to redefine the position and become the Gretzky of goalies. The competing visions for Price is what causes the tension on these boards for the level headed fans :laugh:
So like the oilers can still be cocky too because until a couple years ago we were first for cups per season played ratio..... I think we might be second to Montreal now but **** it we are still the greatest.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Carey is one of the most overrated goalies I have ever seen in the big leagues. Somehow he always seems to luck out and win against the Leafs but hopefully Matthews will score be able to score a few dozen hat-tricks on him in the years to come.

Arguably the best player in the league, easily the best goalie in the league, and you think he's one of the most overrated goalies ever? Yeah... no.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Most fans didn't think Hasek was one of the best in the NHL when he was playing all those years in Buffalo. He didn't get better in Detroit, and yet, Only when he won the cup, and Moreso when he retired, did the majority of fans reflect on his career as a whole and consider him one of the all-time best goalies in NHL history.
Umm I think most real nhl fans thought of Hasek as the best goalie but the average fan would just see some guy flopping all over the ice and think he sucked and was just lucky or something. But most real fans knew he was all of buffalo's success and he dragged the Czech team too.

But I think most everyone thinks price is the best goalie atm but 3 years or so is still a small sample size of being the best to compare to other great goalies.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Further proving that the cliche of this board lacking intelligence is true.

Carey Price has statistically and performance wise the best goalie in the world for at least 3 years.

This post right here shows how insane some of you guys are with praising Carey Price in 10 threads a week on the damn mainboard. The dude you quoted was clearly and obviously being sarcastic, but you (and others) are too blind to see it.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
If last year didn't convince you how good Carey Price is (41 points in the first 26 games, and then only 41 points in the final 56 after Price was lost for the year), this should now.

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
Carey Price is the first goalie to go undefeated when he pours the milk before the cereal on gameday. Suck it haters.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
He won 7, lost 2, then won 3 before going down with injury last year. He's the first goalie in NHL history to win 8 this year.

Your right. I dont know why the commentators thought it was the first 8 consecutive games, 2 years in a row. Should have fact checked them LOL

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
But I think they might be wrong. From what I have checked he had 7 in a row last season.

He's 21-3 over his last 24 excluding preseason. 26-3 if you add the WC.

He's even 26-0 if you exclude the losses.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Impressive, but what's more impressive is what Montreal's record is with and without price the last 2 seasons.

With Price starting: 19W 2L

Without Price starting: 31W 37L 7OTL

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Someone posted a tweet on reddit that Carey Price in his last 100 games was 74-20-6, .938SV%, 1.82GAA, 16 shutouts.

That was before tonight's win.

Did Hasek/Roy/Brodeur ever have a 100 game stretch like that? Its pretty amazing.

I think he is 22-1-1 on Saturday nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad