Player Discussion Carey Price - Covid Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, I was wrong about Price. He was mediocre in the regular season but I didn't think he'd regain his form. We're seeing prime Carey Price right now and he's getting great defense on top of that.

You didn't learn your lesson. I'll tell you why... You think he regained his form but he always had it. The Habs are playing sound D in front of him and not exposing him as much as we did this past season. Price is not god. He's simply one of the best goalies in the world and for a long time now. Being one of the best for a decade is not something most goalies can say.

Price is a game changer if he plays on a team that is average at D or better. You put a bottom 10 team D in front of him, and people start to say he sucks again. Don't fall for that trap... I've been saying this for a very long time now. The amount of turnovers in our zone exist gave me fits all year! I'm surprised not many others have focused on this as well. In this playoffs, they are playing better D and not turning it over in our own zone as much. Still happening at times but nowhere near as much as this past regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think the Bruins are going down............Rask is too much for them to make up. We all know Halak cannot handle the pressure of being the guy.

I wouldn't be so quick to say so. Have you seeen Halak's playoff stats? He's really good.
And actually - after looking the stats up - it's pretty insane to think he's only played 11 playoff games total (including 2 this year) after his 2010 performance. Wow. One of the most insane playoff performances by a goalie ever - and this might end up being his first real shot at playoffs since then 10 years later...

Curious to see how he does.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reputation is very closely linked to trade value - and we all know how great his reputation is.

Obviously his contract is still difficult to trade. For one thing as good as he still is today, he'll age into it and it probably becomes a bad contract in last couple of seasons. But yes - under the right circumstances and for the right team, and maybe even with some retention - I think his trade value could be very very high.

And I still don't want to trade him. Never have.

Nah... Even with retention down to $9M, some still tried to say he had negative value. It's 100% BS and propaganda. Actually, a guy like Burns has more risks to his contract than Price. Star goalies don't decline like players do. Reality

Those who jumped on Price's back when he was down cause we exposed him need to step up and apologize.... if you truly are a Habs fan. We are lucky Price is a good man cause he could have wanted out based on how our fan base overacts over and over again. We are so trendy as a whole and it's comical to me.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nah... Even with retention down to $9M, some still tried to say he had negative value. It's 100% BS and propaganda. Actually, a guy like Burns has more risks to his contract than Price. Star goalies don't decline like players do. Reality

Those who jumped on Price's back when he was down cause we exposed him need to step up and apologize.... if you truly are a Habs fan. We are lucky Price is a good man cause he could have wanted out based on how our fan base overacts over and over again. We are so trendy as a whole and it's comical to me.

Hope you're not asking me to apologize to Price - because if you are you're literally starting with the worst person possible lol. Out of every single HF Habs member - I'm probably the one whose always valued Price the highest. I'm not sure he can't still go win another Hart.

But I agree main boards are full of stupidities. Trading Price would be a very, very complicated trade however. But I was arguing the same thing with Leaf fans about trading Marner. Any high $$ contract is difficult to trade. Doesn't mean the return/demand couldn't be high, it's just complicated.

And unlike Marner who is young - there is risk with Price since he's older. I agree that goalies tend to decline slower than players do - but it's also different for each player.

Either way - I personally have never wanted us to trade Price, and still don't.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
You didn't learn your lesson. I'll tell you why... You think he regained his form but he always had it. The Habs are playing sound D in front of him and not exposing him as much as we did this past season. Price is not god. He's simply one of the best goalies in the world and for a long time now. Being one of the best for a decade is not something most goalies can say.

Price is a game changer if he plays on a team that is average at D or better. You put a bottom 10 team D in front of him, and people start to say he sucks again. Don't fall for that trap... I've been saying this for a very long time now. The amount of turnovers in our zone exist gave me fits all year! I'm surprised not many others have focused on this as well. In this playoffs, they are playing better D and not turning it over in our own zone as much. Still happening at times but nowhere near as much as this past regular season.
Idk man he was letting in some stinkers and let's not forget that he was able to carry this team in the past despite one of the worst d corps in the league. No amount of defense turns you from Vezina to back up goalie.

I really think he's regained his form and he's focused solely on hockey right now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hope you're not asking me to apologize to Price - because if you are you're literally starting with the worst person possible lol. Out of every single HF Habs member - I'm probably the one whose always valued Price the highest. I'm not sure he can't still go win another Hart.

But I agree main boards are full of stupidities. Trading Price would be a very, very complicated trade however. But I was arguing the same thing with Leaf fans about trading Marner. Any high $$ contract is difficult to trade. Doesn't mean the return/demand couldn't be high, it's just complicated.

And unlike Marner who is young - there is risk with Price since he's older. I agree that goalies tend to decline slower than players do - but it's also different for each player.

Global statement. If you don't feel like you need to apologize, then don't. I don't remember what you said in particular. Wasn't directed at you.

If we ever move Price (doubt it at this stage cause if Suzuki and Kotkaniemi rise faster than expected... we will move up the standings and Price will want to stay)... But lets say we do move Price. You retain down to $9M and a list of teams line up for him. Moving goalies is harder cause only 31 starting jobs and salary cap but still a lot of teams looking for a goalie to put them over the top. I was OK with trading him but unloading him cause he sucks? :facepalm:. Some in our fan base need to realize they are acting like Leafs fans

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Idk man he was letting in some stinkers and let's not forget that he was able to carry this team in the past despite one of the worst d corps in the league. No amount of defense turns you from Vezina to back up goalie.

I really think he's regained his form and he's focused solely on hockey right now.

Same issue as Domi on the 4th line. You think you are inspired if the team in front of is playing horrible D and exposing you time and time again? Come on man. He didn't regain his form... he always had it. It's a matter of positive energy and team confidence. Boys playing good team D in front of him and he's motivated.

Regain his form? You think he lost it? :facepalm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

As mentioned many times, goaltending isn't really easy to measure. Save percentage is the best we have. Even with advanced stats it's not as easy as measuring a skater. And we've put Price behind one of the worst Ds in the league for the past few years. It's hurt his trade value despite him still being a top goalie in the NHL.

Occassionally there are articles that show shot quality vs saves and how Price fares vs his competitors. I recently posted one a few days ago that showed Price behind the 2nd worst D in the league this year. He faces an insane amount of high quality chances and yet comes out 7th overall in saves vs expectations. That's incredible considering the volume he has to deal with.

He's still the most consistently good goalie in the league. Still puts up great seasons every year. But people look at the save percentage alone and think he's middle of the pack. And that hurts his trade value because perception becomes reality when it comes to trade value. As I've said all year, he had a strong season for us. But consistently we hear people saying he needs to be better. And it's because they only look at one stat.

Here's the article: Carey Price Had an Amazing Season with the Montreal Canadiens

Reactions: ArtPeur

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As mentioned many times, goaltending isn't really easy to measure. Save percentage is the best we have. Even with advanced stats it's not as easy as measuring a skater. And we've put Price behind one of the worst Ds in the league for the past few years. It's hurt his trade value despite him still being a top goalie in the NHL.

Occassionally there are articles that show shot quality vs saves and how Price fares vs his competitors. I recently posted one a few days ago that showed Price behind the 2nd worst D in the league this year. He faces an insane amount of high quality chances and yet comes out 7th overall in saves vs expectations. That's incredible considering the volume he has to deal with.

He's still the most consistently good goalie in the league. Still puts up great seasons every year. But people look at the save percentage alone and think he's middle of the pack. And that hurts his trade value because perception becomes reality when it comes to trade value. As I've said all year, he had a strong season for us. But consistently we hear people saying he needs to be better. And it's because they only look at one stat.

Here's the article: Carey Price Had an Amazing Season with the Montreal Canadiens

I think Price's issue this season is he had 2 really bad stretches, that kind of shot his numbers. I honestly couldn't tell you to what extent those bad stretches were his fault, or if it's the defense that went to complete shit for a few games - but i'm sure it was at least somewhat his fault. Outside of that, he's probably a top 3 goalie this year.

I don't even like shot quality because it's so subjective, hard to track in a vacuum.

I don't want us to trade Price either - but if we did trade him and if we did so to a top team with good defense (say Tampa, or Colorado) - he'd likely win the vezina, cup and smythe in year 1. Maybe year 2 too

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Price's issue this season is he had 2 really bad stretches, that kind of shot his numbers. I honestly couldn't tell you to what extent those bad stretches were his fault, or if it's the defense that went to complete shit for a few games - but i'm sure it was at least somewhat his fault. Outside of that, he's probably a top 3 goalie this year.

I don't even like shot quality because it's so subjective, hard to track in a vacuum.

I don't want us to trade Price either - but if we did trade him and if we did so to a top team with good defense (say Tampa, or Colorado) - he'd likely win the vezina, cup and smythe in year 1. Maybe year 2 too
Price's issue is that he played behind the 2nd worst D in the NHL.

Reactions: ArtPeur

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
All good goalies have bad stretches, thing is, they have a team in front of them that can score goals to make up for the bad ones he lets by. We don't have that luxury; if Price lets in 3, you can pretty much kiss the game goodbye. 4 And it's definitely over.

Yesterday's game was good example. You don't get shutout 1-0 very often in the playoffs with a half descent offence. How many Giontas* did we see yesterday. I counted at least 5, Drou Drou's was the most frustrating.

* Gionta: Noun: Plural Giontas. Appl. sports-hockey. The act of shooting a puck into the goalie's protective equipment resulting in stoppage of play. Noun personal: Player, Brian. Made famous for shooting the puck weakly into the goalie's misdection.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price's issue is that he played behind the 2nd worst D in the NHL.

Agreed! If we agree on something, it's 100% the truth ;)

People think Price is god and he can save a bottom 10 team D :laugh:. Price is good, but not god. He's been one of the best for a decade and that's not going to change in the next 5 years.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Price-PressConference(20/08/16)

“Well we came out and played physical off the get-go in the first period. I thought we did a good job of fighting through as the game progressed and we generated chances. We worked hard to get those. We hit four or five goal posts. Their goaltender played well. Sometimes you've got to tip your hat to a hot goaltender. I thought we did all the right things to win a hockey game tonight...”

“I just wanna play the puck outside my net when the opportunity comes and help my defenceman as best as I can.”

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Story of Price's career, allow one goal per game through the first three games of a playoff series and be down 1-2.

At least this time around, our centers look good eh :laugh:. In all seriousness, we have fixed one of the hardest to find... Centers. Chiarot is a beast and Romanov is coming.

So next on the list is swapping a soft skill/skating winger for some size/skating power forward type. And inserting someone who likes to shoot but can pick corners. Should take about another 2 years :laugh:

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
All good goalies have bad stretches, thing is, they have a team in front of them that can score goals to make up for the bad ones he lets by. We don't have that luxury; if Price lets in 3, you can pretty much kiss the game goodbye. 4 And it's definitely over.

Yesterday's game was good example. You don't get shutout 1-0 very often in the playoffs with a half descent offence. How many Giontas* did we see yesterday. I counted at least 5, Drou Drou's was the most frustrating.

* Gionta: Noun: Plural Giontas. Appl. sports-hockey. The act of shooting a puck into the goalie's protective equipment resulting in stoppage of play. Noun personal: Player, Brian. Made famous for shooting the puck weakly into the goalie's misdection.

I always thought it was the later years Pleky special where he would just fire it into the Crest.... perhaps I am mis remembering pleks.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
At least this time around, our centers look good eh :laugh:. In all seriousness, we have fixed one of the hardest to find... Centers. Chiarot is a beast and Romanov is coming.

So next on the list is swapping a soft skill/skating winger for some size/skating power forward type. And inserting someone who likes to shoot but can pick corners. Should take about another 2 years :laugh:

Well by then Weber will be 37 and Price will be 35 , so then we introduce having to replace 2 star players that will most likely be out of their prime. (I'm being generous here with the "most likely") Let's hope a lot of our prospects achieve their potential as it's what we desperately need to have success.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Imagine Price on an above average team... been hard on him and his contract, but WTF! Seriously, after this playoff performance? There is no doubt. Trade him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I wouldn't be so quick to say so. Have you seeen Halak's playoff stats? He's really good.
And actually - after looking the stats up - it's pretty insane to think he's only played 11 playoff games total (including 2 this year) after his 2010 performance. Wow. One of the most insane playoff performances by a goalie ever - and this might end up being his first real shot at playoffs since then 10 years later...

Curious to see how he does.
Interesting............do you remember that big playoff year, how bad he was during a few of those games also? Curious.....if people remember? That run wasn't all roses for Halak....and since then, his playoff career has been meh...with better teams than the Habs.
Will be interesting if he can carry the loaded up Bruins.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well by then Weber will be 37 and Price will be 35 , so then we introduce having to replace 2 star players that will most likely be out of their prime. (I'm being generous here with the "most likely") Let's hope a lot of our prospects achieve their potential as it's what we desperately need to have success.
We need to replace Bergevin with a win now GM. Someone who knows how to trade picks for now types of trades. Key vets like Price and Weber really deserve a better shot than they have been given by the GM who only knows how to move goalposts, and lower expectations...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Kulak-PressConference(20/08/17)-Price
“He's one of the best in the League, in handling the puck. It especially makes it hard on the other team. They don't really know what to do on their forecheck a lot of the times. The puck goes to him and we as D-men drop ourselves into a position where he can make pass to us and they sometimes don't know to come to us and cover us. And if they do, then Price is able to make that first pass to a centerman or even up to the winger. It just makes it probably really hard on the other team... And for us, it's usually if the pass option is there, for us he at least makes it tape to tape.”

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I love Price, but I think he needs to start bullying MB. Like, throw him/the team under the bus publicly, ask for a change, anything. Refuse to play tomorrow, threaten to ask for a trade. Chill on the ice as the Flyers have a PP, try to score a goal.

It might hurt some player's and fans feelings, it might be the cataclyst to an implosion in the club, but could it be what's needed? It's good that I'm not a pro hockey player, because omg if my teammates and coaches and GM were so freaking useless I'd be livid.

Reactions: habsnacks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad