Player Discussion Carey Price - Covid Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When Roy won the 86 Cup he had 6 HOFers a 110-pointer, 86 & 80-pointer in the lineup, when he won in 93 Roy had a 97, 94, 88 and 80 pointer including 3-37+ goal scorers and one at 30. Never having faced the best teams to win either Cup ( Oilers or Pens) with clutch & grab standard practice in a league that was nowhere close to the parity of today.

Everyone knows the superstars Dryden had in front of him from.

Price has never had any of that except a Kovalev 80-pts season in his rookie year, while playing in an era in which its almost impossible for goalie to single handedly pull a Hasek - due to lack of clutch & grab and flex capabilities turning sticks into rocket launchers vs the wood sticks of Roy & Dryden eras
It's impossible for any player in any era. Hasek didn't win.

You can't have one player lead the way entirely by himself. Hasek came the closest and he didn't win. Even Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky couldn't do it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's a huge factor he didn't come fresh off a 60+ start season. We need to AT LEAST give him a real back up.

Fans will say “he’s paid $10.5 million a year, he should be able to do whatever behind whatever” but the reality is, the NHL has been trending towards 1a/1b tandems for awhile. Having Price is a huge advantage, but having him worn out for chunks of the season or during the playoffs is no good regardless of his salary. He needs to be in the 55-60 games a year category at maximum, especially considering he’s turning 33 this month. People can whine about his contract, but their whining about the wrong guy. Bergevin and Molson are the ones that threw a contract at him that no sane person can honestly say they’d refuse.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Fans will say “he’s paid $10.5 million a year, he should be able to do whatever behind whatever” but the reality is, the NHL has been trending towards 1a/1b tandems for awhile. Having Price is a huge advantage, but having him worn out for chunks of the season or during the playoffs is no good regardless of his salary. He needs to be in the 55-60 games a year category at maximum, especially considering he’s turning 33 this month. People can whine about his contract, but their whining about the wrong guy. Bergevin and Molson are the ones that threw a contract at him that no sane person can honestly say they’d refuse.

There's logic in what you say but i don't know if it's what happened with Price.

You're essentially saying - play him less during season, so he can be fresh and rested come playoffs, and he'll do better. Seems logical.

But Price has done really well in playoffs in recent years (well, 2014, 2015, 2017 - the missed other years). He played 59, 66 and 62 games those seasons.

Price has been inconsistent during the season. Like this season - he struggled a lot for 2 stretches, one i think in November and one towards Christmas. I don't think this is due to him being worn out, especially not as early as November. He just had a bad stretch...could be due to a number of reasons.

I never had a problem with the 10.5M$ salary, and still don't. But that's because I still believe him to be a top goalie. If we can get a half decent D/Team in front of him - I think he can carry us far into the playoffs. Maybe in 3-4 years that won't be true anymore and his contract will suck as he ages - but for the time being it hasn't been an issue. Even cap-wise, we've played with ~10M$ in cap space the past few seasons, so Price's salary hasn't prevented us from doing anything

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's logic in what you say but i don't know if it's what happened with Price.

You're essentially saying - play him less during season, so he can be fresh and rested come playoffs, and he'll do better. Seems logical.

But Price has done really well in playoffs in recent years (well, 2014, 2015, 2017 - the missed other years). He played 59, 66 and 62 games those seasons.

Price has been inconsistent during the season. Like this season - he struggled a lot for 2 stretches, one i think in November and one towards Christmas. I don't think this is due to him being worn out, especially not as early as November. He just had a bad stretch...could be due to a number of reasons.

I never had a problem with the 10.5M$ salary, and still don't. But that's because I still believe him to be a top goalie. If we can get a half decent D/Team in front of him - I think he can carry us far into the playoffs. Maybe in 3-4 years that won't be true anymore and his contract will suck as he ages - but for the time being it hasn't been an issue. Even cap-wise, we've played with ~10M$ in cap space the past few seasons, so Price's salary hasn't prevented us from doing anything
I think playing him 65 games a year is fine. What's not fine is playing him in 28 of 29 and we've seen those kinds of crazy stretches over the past two years as we've made desperate plays for the playoffs. That just can't happen.

It starts and ends with the D though. If we fixed the left side his workload would be easier even if he played the same number of games. It would also mean that our backups wouldn't get eaten alive the way they have over the past few seasons.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Sportnet's Conn Smythe Power Rankings (20/08/10): Price
1)Carey Price, G, Montreal Canadiens: Pittsburgh’s biggest fear came to fruition. Playing a .500 team that had no business being in the playoffs shouldn’t have been a problem – on paper – but since that team could lean on perhaps the best goalie in the sport it became an entirely different task. Price finished the series with a .947 save percentage and 1.67 GAA and a shutout. Price is so good at handling the puck and passing it’s like having a third defenceman on the ice at all times. He also plays with some feistiness – just watch his battles with Crosby in front of the net – yet is able to remain poised.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

c0871716d04f73272ef0f3377e2ddd25.gif

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I mean, its an insane save but its also quite lucky.. as MT would say.. "We had dat puck luck tonight boyz" He deserves that bounce for careying this team most nights
Price has been nothing short of amazing thus far.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Have to give Suzuki a ton of credit for being in the position he was. If he’s not there, Laughton likely just taps it into the empty net. Hell of a save though.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Price-PressConference(20/08/12)
“Obviously I was just desperate there and Suzuki made himself big. I think he got a piece of it as well.”

“I thought we were a little slow at the start. But we responded well as the game went on.”

“It's playoffs hockey. Yes, I think every teams in the National Hockey are trying to do that right now (traffic in front of me).”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad