Player Discussion Carey Price: Best Player in the NHL - The Award Winning Edition (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think it's important to stress that we might be watching a true hockey legend right now, a Lemieux/Gretzky/Orr/Hasek.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think it's important to stress that we might be watching a true hockey legend right now, a Lemieux/Gretzky/Orr/Hasek.

He'll need a cup to really cement his legacy, but Price, over the past few years, is as good as any goalie I've ever seen.

He's the perfect goalie in many regards. Size, calmness, athleticism, agility, and most of all, his flawless technique... He's perfecting the art of goaltending to an extent that has never been seen before.

He'll need to keep up his current play for a while longer before he approaches legend status, but I'll say this... For someone that used to be sarcastically called the next Roy, he may end up being even better than Roy...

But as I said, he needs a cup to really get into that conversation. Playoff heroics is what defined Roy in many ways.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He's like... 87-26-8 in his past 121 games since (and including) the 2014 playoffs including the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey. This includes a 1.73 GAA, 17 shutouts and a .941 SV%.

I swear to god if this guy doesn't get a Cup...

These numbers are just... whoa.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He'll need a cup to really cement his legacy, but Price, over the past few years, is as good as any goalie I've ever seen.

He's the perfect goalie in many regards. Size, calmness, athleticism, agility, and most of all, his flawless technique... He's perfecting the art of goaltending to an extent that has never been seen before.

He'll need to keep up his current play for a while longer before he approaches legend status, but I'll say this... For someone that used to be sarcastically called the next Roy, he may end up being even better than Roy...

But as I said, he needs a cup to really get into that conversation. Playoff heroics is what defined Roy in many ways.
Price will win a cup. With the way he's playing it could even happen this year.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

If he sweeps the Vezina/Hart/Lindsay again this year then that'll start putting him in the conversation with some of the best goalies of all time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Why does he need a cup? Would Haseks legacy look worse without them ?

Surely, Roy's legacy is built around cup runs, but Hasek is much more around his time with the Sabres than the Wings.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He's like... 87-26-8 in his past 121 games since (and including) the 2014 playoffs including the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey. This includes a 1.73 GAA, 17 shutouts and a .941 SV%.

I swear to god if this guy doesn't get a Cup...

These numbers are just... whoa.

I think if he gets just one cup (many will be nice), it'll be enough to establish him as the greatest of all time come retirement, even with a surge by one of his peers during this period. Price has won every other major NHL and international team award otherwise, has he not? He may also very well win the Hart again if the Habs continue this success.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's gotten to the point with Price, where I'm surprised when he allows a goal against.

That's how dominant he is...I haven't watched this kind of athlete where I'm so confident in him that he'll succeed since Michael Jordan.

And considering he's my idol, that's the highest praise I could give another athlete

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We're a top 6 centre away still, and a top 4 D. Markov will slow down big time come playoff time. We are the closest we've been in years.
Before last season I picked Montreal to win the cup. For the first half it looked like we might actually do it. We were playing amazingly well AND we had Price.

This year we aren't playing anywhere near our capabilities and still racking up wins. If we could actually start to play better hockey (and we have the lineup to do it) then we'll be very tough to beat in the playoffs. I think Carey Price is the best player in the NHL and I've felt that way for a while now. He's undefeated so far and it seems like that guy's never going to lose another game.

And for all the wonderful numbers he's put up over the past few years, my favourite season from him was 2014. He was absolutely insane that season. The team was brutal in front of him and it was some of the most spectacular goaltending I've ever seen. 2015 was better numbers wise but 2014 was really special.

Just stay healthy please Carey...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It's gotten to the point with Price, where I'm surprised when he allows a goal against.

That's how dominant he is...I haven't watched this kind of athlete where I'm so confident in him that he'll succeed since Michael Jordan.

And considering he's my idol, that's the highest praise I could give another athlete

With Price, it's literally "if he sees it, he saves it." Even that Kopitar save last night. Unreal. He saw it and he saved it.

This is the year we should move pieces and bring in some names, even if they're just rentals, for the Cup. Price is better than ever.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
If he sweeps the Vezina/Hart/Lindsay again this year then that'll start putting him in the conversation with some of the best goalies of all time.

It will put him directly in conversation with THE best goalie of all-time, actually, as the only goalies in history with multiple Pearson/Lindsay trophies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
With Price, it's literally "if he sees it, he saves it."

This misuse of the word 'literally' by young people today is one of my pet peeves, but like I mentioned last night, I saw a stats graphic in one of the past games where it said that Price - up to a certain point this season - had literally stopped every shot that he saw clearly. Not one shooter had outright beaten him clean.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think he went 23/24 on the night and it didn't bump his stats up or down. You wanna score 2 goals on him? Better fire 40+ at the net. 3? :laugh: Good luck!

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com

Cw_uob8XcAAZJHW.jpg

That's quite a streak :D

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This misuse of the word 'literally' by young people today is one of my pet peeves, but like I mentioned last night, I saw a stats graphic in one of the past games where it said that Price - up to a certain point this season - had literally stopped every shot that he saw clearly. Not one shooter had outright beaten him clean.

Auston Matthews beat him clean, top corner, blocker side.

Besides that.......:bow:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Pastrnak beat him pretty clearly. What a shot.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Pastrnak beat him pretty clearly. What a shot.

I'm fairly positive that I saw that graphic either before or during the Boston game (I'm thinking it was the Philly game, actually), but because of the cross-ice puck movement (PP, remember), the guy in front, and the defender who is out challenging the shot, I don't think Price actually saw the puck long enough for Pastrnak's to "qualify" (though at least it wasn't a tip or something "scrambly").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad