Player Discussion Carey Price: Best Player in the NHL - The Award Winning Edition (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
If we traded Price for Crosby, our team would be worst off.

OK, finding a competant goalie is not as difficult as finding a bonafide #1 center, but good luck finding one that is good enough for a deep run within the next 2 years which is pretty much our window with this core, core now including Crosby who isn't getting any younger neither.

Thats a very stupid argument. Not calling you personally stupid.

I have heard that argument before and its dumb af.

Because for the simpliest of the reasons that Crosby has already won 2 cups and was MVP and best nhl performer for many years right from the go.

Price on the other hand we had to wait 8 painful and long years of development, we are lucky that he finally made it but for now Crosby has the edge, by far.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
Our window is now. Not because we have the best team we could have (we do have a better one tho with the latest additions), but because of Carey Price. We need to win before Price's contract ends. I don't think we will be able to keep the players we have now after we resign Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Radulov, etc. Maybe... haven't really look that much into it, maybe losing Plekanec and Markov and maybe Emelin would open up enough space, but I think this year and next year would be ideal for a push for the cup.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Still feel good about being one of the few on these boards at the time (in 2010) who said Price would be the goalie to lead us to 25.

There's no better time than now, IMO. Price looks better than he did in 14-15.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Still feel good about being one of the few on these boards at the time (in 2010) who said Price would be the goalie to lead us to 25.

When was the last time there was a goalie that was this much better than everyone else? That means Hall of Fame for me. Just gotta get him a Cup to go along with the Vezina's he's about to win for the next 4-5 years straight.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Honestly if this team doesn't start trading pieces to build a legit contender for the next two years, like trading some high picks and prospects for a legit 2nd line center and another top 4 D, if I were him I'd split and take off to a team that understands my window to win. He's going to be the best in the world for another couple of years and the time is now, he's a competitive guy and shouldn't take any less. I wouldn't blame him one bit either. I understand the move for Weber appears to be a move that makes them want to win now, but we need to see them get a little more serious and start shopping that first round pick.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I remember. There were a few of us who've believed in the guy since the beginning. He took a lot of undeserved crap.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I remember. There were a few of us who've believed in the guy since the beginning. He took a lot of undeserved crap.

There was also a time when people mistook potential for ability too early, because there WAS a time when he overplayed pucks, wasn't as good at following the puck through/around traffic, and effectively wasn't as proficient at stopping the puck as the guy he shared a crease with. But only a few didn't see him as part of the future.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There was also a time when people mistook potential for ability too early, because there WAS a time when he overplayed pucks, wasn't as good at following the puck through/around traffic, and effectively wasn't as proficient at stopping the puck as the guy he shared a crease with. But only a few didn't see him as part of the future.
I think he took way too much crap. Look at the top of the thread "we had to wait 8 painful years for him to develop." That's just plain nonsense.

He wasn't the machine that he is today and he had some rough patches but people were over the top with their criticism of the guy. And no it wasn't only a few who didn't see him as part of the future. There were tons of posters who didn't believe in this guy.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I think he took way too much crap. Look at the top of the thread "we had to wait 8 painful years for him to develop." That's just plain nonsense.

He wasn't the machine that he is today and he had some rough patches but people were over the top with their criticism of the guy. And no it wasn't only a few who didn't see him as part of the future. There were tons of posters who didn't believe in this guy.
And for which Habs players hasn't this been true at some point? That's HF Habs baby! :laugh:

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
If by "rough patches" you mean he was playing good hockey and not godlike, then yes, I agree, he had some "rough patches".

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Thoughts?

I heard Marinaro pontificate and rudely attack callers over this.

It's a dumb argument to make. Best "ever", really? We all know that goalies from past generations had nowhere near access to the information, expertise, technical training, equipment and technology the goalies of today have.

The "technical" aspect of goaltending is only relevant if the comparison is between goalies who hail from a generation that has made technical training an integral part of their development.

And even then, technical development is relative -- is someone like Patrick Roy a comparable to say, Price? Roy was wearing oversized equipment, a sweater that was 3 sizes larger than it should have been and acted like a tent and adapted his technique to the largesses of the playing rules of his day. Plus, goaltending "technique" has seen so great an advancement from Roy's time to the current era that even comparing a goalie from this time would not constitute a fair or defensible comparative.

If you're going to compare Price to the goalie of another era, say a Jacques Plante, then a reasonable question might be "Would Price have been the best goalie of Jacques Plante's era if like Plante, he only had access to the limited technical knowledge of the goalies issued from that era?"

Of course there is an argument to be made that Price is the best amongst the "technical" goalies of this generation. Going beyond that, is another dumb Marinaro show moment in the field of meaninglessless and the absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad