OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yes. One objective but multiple decision variables. You need to find a way to combine those variables into expressions that connect them. Maybe you can compartmentalize the problem into sub problems — optimize locally and then aggregate into a global optimum?

Not sure if what you're saying is the same thing I did today but my boss discussed having the same draw each month or changing quarterly. I played around with solver for the same each month and for stable changes (amount halves every year or amount goes down X% each month). So that way I can set one objective and have that positive or negative growth reference it. It worked well except it was more money than I hoped. What I realized though was that the credit we're drawing was already more than the 1.25 mil I wanted to stay under. I may have to play around with assumptions to make it work.

The thing I don't like about solver though is that it's not dynamic.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Not sure if what you're saying is the same thing I did today but my boss discussed having the same draw each month or changing quarterly. I played around with solver for the same each month and for stable changes (amount halves every year or amount goes down X% each month). So that way I can set one objective and have that positive or negative growth reference it. It worked well except it was more money than I hoped. What I realized though was that the credit we're drawing was already more than the 1.25 mil I wanted to stay under. I may have to play around with assumptions to make it work.

The thing I don't like about solver though is that it's not dynamic.

Why not add a constraint of max 1.25MM outstanding? Maybe I’m not understanding?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why not add a constraint of max 1.25MM outstanding? Maybe I’m not understanding?

I could, but:

1) The objective was to minimize the loan amount so I'm accomplishing that. Either it'll be 1.25MM or less or unsolvable if I added that constraint.

2) The loans need to cover working capital and our loan portfolio. The loan portfolio under the current assumptions is already above $1.25MM, so there's no way to borrow less. We'll probably have to play around with assumptions or borrow more.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I could, but:

1) The objective was to minimize the loan amount so I'm accomplishing that. Either it'll be 1.25MM or less or unsolvable if I added that constraint.

2) The loans need to cover working capital and our loan portfolio. The loan portfolio under the current assumptions is already above $1.25MM, so there's no way to borrow less. We'll probably have to play around with assumptions or borrow more.

Can the loans be restructured?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can the loans be restructured?

So the million was just a number I was given for one loan but it's not capped at 1 million there is no cap. The 250k is. That said I was being silly. I always assumed that you can only change one variable in solver and then it hit me, why not try to change every relevant month. It ended up working. The only problem is solver isn't dynamic and because I have to change the variables and constraints based on the first month we go below $25k I can really create a macro for it using my non-existent VBA knowledge. So, I just have to constantly run solver which is a pain in the ass. Oh well.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
So the million was just a number I was given for one loan but it's not capped at 1 million there is no cap. The 250k is. That said I was being silly. I always assumed that you can only change one variable in solver and then it hit me, why not try to change every relevant month. It ended up working. The only problem is solver isn't dynamic and because I have to change the variables and constraints based on the first month we go below $25k I can really create a macro for it using my non-existent VBA knowledge. So, I just have to constantly run solver which is a pain in the ass. Oh well.

You can run solver via VBA ...

It’s inefficient, since you’d be looping through solver instances, but it’s the quickest solution that comes to mind.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You can run solver via VBA ...

It’s inefficient, since you’d be looping through solver instances, but it’s the quickest solution that comes to mind.

Yeah, I realized there's no way to make it faster. In order to know what my constraint and variable ranges are I have to manually reset the credit to 0 and see when it dips below 25K.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I have a wardrobe question. How should I dress if I’m invited to the Giants game tomorrow with people from work? Are jeans and a polo acceptable or am I supposed to be your typical suit?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I have a wardrobe question. How should I dress if I’m invited to the Giants game tomorrow with people from work? Are jeans and a polo acceptable or am I supposed to be your typical suit?

You can go with a polo (still appropriate because of temperatures) and a pair of chinos (better than jeans, but not formal/stuffy like dress pants).

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
You can go with a polo (still appropriate because of temperatures) and a pair of chinos (better than jeans, but not formal/stuffy like dress pants).

Right on. And if you work in finance or legal services, Vineyard Vines and RL go a long way in this case. Enjoy the game mate!

Reactions: Kane One

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Right on. And if you work in finance or legal services, Vineyard Vines and RL go a long way in this case. Enjoy the game mate!
Thanks!

I’m a software developer but the principal of the finance department asked if I wanted to go. Can’t turn down a suite. :D

I emailed him before I posted the question here and he said he’s going in “a shirt,” jeans and sneakers, so I guess that’s what I’m doing. I put a shirt in quotes because that’s pretty vague, so I’m just going with a polo since it’s not like that’s much different from a button down when you’re wearing sneakers and jeans.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks!

I’m a software developer but the principal of the finance department asked if I wanted to go. Can’t turn down a suite. :D

I emailed him before I posted the question here and he said he’s going in “a shirt,” jeans and sneakers, so I guess that’s what I’m doing. I put a shirt in quotes because that’s pretty vague, so I’m just going with a polo since it’s not like that’s much different from a button down when you’re wearing sneakers and jeans.
Sounds like a casual thing. If he said jeans and sneakers, go with similar.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Who still wears suits at work? Are you a banker?

Edit: I guess I got my answer. Why would you wear a suit ever as a software developer, much less during a football game?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Who still wears suits at work? Are you a banker?

No, but I work at a hedge fund. I also don’t know where you got that I wear suits to work.

Why would you wear a suit ever as a software developer, much less during a football game?

Because the suite is owned by a big 4 accounting firm so I thought I’d look more professional.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No, but I work at a hedge fund. I also don’t know where you got that I wear suits to work.

Because the suite is owned by a big 4 accounting firm so I thought I’d look more professional.

Actually I always knew Hedge Funds to be more business casual type places. Ditto accounting firms. It doesn't matter I was just f***ing around.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Actually I always knew Hedge Funds to be more business casual type places. Ditto accounting firms. It doesn't matter I was just ****ing around.
Yeah we literally just changed our dress code last week where we can now wear polos year round, which I’m still not going to do.

We instituted casual Friday’s like two years ago.

Lmfao

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah we literally just changed our dress code last week where we can now wear polos year round, which I’m still not going to do.

We instituted casual Friday’s like two years ago.

Lmfao

What's casual Friday at your job if you can wear polos year round but presumably can't wear jeans? What's in between?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
What's casual Friday at your job if you can wear polos year round but presumably can't wear jeans? What's in between?
So at first it was dress pants, button down, dress shoes year round. Then we had casual Friday’s where we can wear jeans and polos. Then we had a summer dress code where we can wear polos, but no jeans (just jeans on Friday’s). Now it’s polos year round, so only jeans on Friday’s.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So at first it was dress pants, button down, dress shoes year round. Then we had casual Friday’s where we can wear jeans and polos. Then we had a summer dress code where we can wear polos, but no jeans (just jeans on Friday’s). Now it’s polos year round, so only jeans on Friday’s.

We can wear polos and once in a blue moon for special occasions we can wear jeans. Only happened once since I've been there since January. It was before some holiday, I think.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
We can wear polos and once in a blue moon for special occasions we can wear jeans. Only happened once since I've been there since January. It was before some holiday, I think.
Usually here they would relax the dress code on holidays like Christmas Eve where the stock market closes early.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I work for an insurance company. The only one from our accounting firm who wears a suit is the partner. Typically only c-suite wear suits (or anyone going to a board meeting).

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Do you all find slacks and a button down, or even a suit sans a tie, uncomfortable?

I’ve always been intrigued by this. We have a business casual dress code, but you need to wear suits when you meet with clients. I find slacks and a shirt to be quite comfortable, so even on a “casual” Friday, when people tend to dress down a bit, I will go business casual. Some of my colleagues are flabbergasted at the notion that I wouldn’t take full advantage of casual Friday. I even have friends that don’t work in my industry that have said they couldn’t even imagine working in it because of the dress code.

I find it a bit amusing, but maybe I’m just used to dressing this way now. Even a suit I don’t mind wearing (I’ll rip a tie off the moment I’m out of a client meeting though) but evidently I’m not the norm here.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Do you all find slacks and a button down, or even a suit sans a tie, uncomfortable?

I’ve always been intrigued by this. We have a business casual dress code, but you need to wear suits when you meet with clients. I find slacks and a shirt to be quite comfortable, so even on a “casual” Friday, when people tend to dress down a bit, I will go business casual. Some of my colleagues are flabbergasted at the notion that I wouldn’t take full advantage of casual Friday. I even have friends that don’t work in my industry that have said they couldn’t even imagine working in it because of the dress code.

I find it a bit amusing, but maybe I’m just used to dressing this way now. Even a suit I don’t mind wearing (I’ll rip a tie off the moment I’m out of a client meeting though) but evidently I’m not the norm here.

I've talked about it here but I hate dressing up and wearing button downs and tucking in my shirts. I'll usually do the sweater one day a week and jeans another. My department is a little more business casual but sometimes people wear sneakers or t-shirts on Friday. I wear button downs or a polo as a respect to my manager but it's just method acting for me.

I'm in my 30s and it's not my thing. I grew up as a kid in the 90s playing in bands and that's the one decade kids didn't dress up at all. If someone wore a polo or a button down to HS you'd get very strange looks. I only dress up on weekends when I have a formal event otherwise I'm in a tshirt/shorts-jeans-khakis/sneakers most of the year.

I despise dress shoes. They could be $50 or $500 I just don't enjoy wearing them. Whenever management is out of the office pretty much everyone wears sneakers.

I'd say NY and DC are the two dressiest cities I've lived in. I was in Wisconsin this spring and no one dressed up, and I spend a decent amount of time in LA and unless you're like a super agent, or part of the corporate section of a film company, no one dresses up out there. It's the one city where you can go to a Starbucks and see punks and goths ahead of you and no one even blinks.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

Yea i work for a quant firm and were business casual in the main office and the trading/research branch is "smart casual"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad