OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Honestly i know the answer its the hours. Right now its nights weekends and 80hr weeks. The time and a half is awesome but at some point its not worth it. Might just be me venting though

The hours you work, is that something standard in your field or is it more specific to your company?

Aside from the hours, do you like the work? Do you find it interesting? Does it pay you enough for the life style you want?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I got a question. What would you advise a 36 yo engineer that is really starting to think of a career change?

One popular route is going into business. Lots of people go from engineering to business. Unlike other grad degrees 36 years old isn't too old for an MBA. Operations, marketing, and consulting are 3 areas a lot of engineers go into. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
The hours you work, is that something standard in your field or is it more specific to your company?

Aside from the hours, do you like the work? Do you find it interesting? Does it pay you enough for the life style you want?

Standard for the industry heavy construction tends to happen at nights and weekends to reduce impact on traffic or in my case air traffic (im a construction engineer at an airport). I do love the work but the hrs kill my personal life ive lost multiple girlfriends because of the nights i had to work or i couldnt go to a family thing because i had to work all weekend

One popular route is going into business. Lots of people go from engineering to business. Unlike other grad degrees 36 years old isn't too old for an MBA. Operations, marketing, and consulting are 3 areas a lot of engineers go into. Is that something you'd be interested in?

I went into engineering because i love construction and am awesome at math so i figured it was a great combo for me. Mot sure id be good at the marketing thing but operations and consulting sound intresting.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Standard for the industry heavy construction tends to happen at nights and weekends to reduce impact on traffic or in my case air traffic (im a construction engineer at an airport). I do love the work but the hrs kill my personal life ive lost multiple girlfriends because of the nights i had to work or i couldnt go to a family thing because i had to work all weekend

I went into engineering because i love construction and am awesome at math so i figured it was a great combo for me. Mot sure id be good at the marketing thing but operations and consulting sound intresting.

When I read your concern I realized consulting may not be for you. It has poor work/life balance.

Reactions: NCRanger

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
My wife's job is being relocated from DC to Atlanta. She kind of saw it coming, but it became official today. She does not intend to relocate. The job originally made her, and thus, me, relocate from NY to DC. We bought a house here.

The thing is, she is worried about her severance. She has been with the company for 15 years. So, there is a lot invested. Will the company treat it as a restructure or layoff, thereby entitling her to her vested amount? Do you guys have any experience or words of advice?

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
My wife's job is being relocated from DC to Atlanta. She kind of saw it coming, but it became official today. She does not intend to relocate. The job originally made her, and thus, me, relocate from NY to DC. We bought a house here.

The thing is, she is worried about her severance. She has been with the company for 15 years. So, there is a lot invested. Will the company treat it as a restructure or layoff, thereby entitling her to her vested amount? Do you guys have any experience or words of advice?

Only they (the company) can answer. I assume she is "At-Will", and thereby she might not be entitled to anything. What is this "vesting" of which you write? Shares? Or are you just referring to returement? (401-k and/or pension)?

Why no move to Atlanta? You write that you purchased a home, and that part I understand. If you have no children, or your children are young, it's easier to pack up and move. If you children are in junior high / high school, well, it becomes a bit tougher. A buddy of mine made sure that he, wife, and two kids left New York before it would have become too much of a hit on the kids.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Only they (the company) can answer. I assume she is "At-Will", and thereby she might not be entitled to anything. What is this "vesting" of which you write? Shares? Or are you just referring to returement? (401-k and/or pension)?

Why no move to Atlanta? You write that you purchased a home, and that part I understand. If you have no children, or your children are young, it's easier to pack up and move. If you children are in junior high / high school, well, it becomes a bit tougher. A buddy of mine made sure that he, wife, and two kids left New York before it would have become too much of a hit on the kids.

You're right. The job is "at will" employment. The reasons why we don't want to move to Atlanta is we're not sure of the lifestyle and right now in DC I'm still within driving distance to NY. I still go back to check in on my folks every six or so weeks. By "vested" I didn't mean it technically. She has put her heart and soul into the job for a long time--yes, I know that might not have been the best thing to do. But that's her loyalty type of thinking. Right now she's negotiating, but we don't know what the exit plan will be like, whether she's going to get a package of some kind.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Question on Salesforce. How valuable is it? I've talked about how frustrating my job is and wanting to get out. My friend recommended TrailHead for improving my limited Salesforce skills and getting a certificate by training over the next few weeks. I have some informal experience while working for startups using it.

As I've mentioned before my job is very stressful but the longer I'm able to stay, the more I'll save up for a move plus the closer it is to a year, the better.

Resume updating is almost done, so while I have some quiet time the next couple of weeks, this Salesforce project seems doable.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Faced with some poor choices.

Another team in my company set up meetings for me and made my current team management aware; my current management shot them down 5 minutes before they were scheduled and said I am not permitted to take the next step in the process to transfer. I have notified the team management who initiated this and they allowed me to re-schedule, however, current boss is refusing to answer or provide me with any type of times that will alleviate my absence for an hour. At this point I think I should contact HR and show them the emails and proof of awareness because this feels like I am being purposely held back. If this doesn't get rectified, I feel like I will be forced to look for outside opportunities and put my 2 weeks in.

pls help

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

Another team in my company set up meetings for me and made my current team management aware; my current management shot them down 5 minutes before they were scheduled and said I am not permitted to take the next step in the process to transfer. I have notified the team management who initiated this and they allowed me to re-schedule, however, current boss is refusing to answer or provide me with any type of times that will alleviate my absence for an hour. At this point I think I should contact HR and show them the emails and proof of awareness because this feels like I am being purposely held back. If this doesn't get rectified, I feel like I will be forced to look for outside opportunities and put my 2 weeks in.

pls help

Reads as if your current boss doesn't want to let you go, lest he get screwed in the deal. I see both sides of this. You want to move on. Your boss doesn't want to lose you, because he needs to find a replacement.

Before escalating, I would talk to HR and ask for any policy on internal transfers.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Reads as if your current boss doesn't want to let you go, lest he get screwed in the deal. I see both sides of this. You want to move on. Your boss doesn't want to lose you, because he needs to find a replacement.

Before escalating, I would talk to HR and ask for any policy on internal transfers.

Agreed with bolded. Also if it's only an hour, you can technically use "your lunch" which you're entitled to and they really can't say anything. Hundreds of times employees use lunch hour or the equivalent for doctors appointments, run to the bank, pick up children, etc.

If you have emails or proof of awareness/an agreement, you should be good even if it takes some time. Often I've worked in placed where they have an internal transfer document that the current manager and employee have to sign before the process begins.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ

pls help
It's a little hard to understand given the context. Typically, at larger firms, the process for switching roles varies by seniority. For simplicity, let's say there are "senior" roles and "junior" roles. Senior roles are usually filled via a skating or succession process (eg there isn't a job to bid on). Junior roles are generally filled, administratively at least, very similarly to an external hire. There's often an interview (albeit different formality) which is usually followed or preceded by due diligence by the new hiring manger.

I'm assuming the meetings you described were effectively proxies for interviews or fit. Assuming there is a fit, most organizations ensure that there is an amicable time frame established for the transition to allow the manager of the departing resource to maintain business continuity. This is generally a non-issue because employees in these roles are generally more fungible and .org. want to retain and promote talent. Of course, this assumes this isn't a critical time of year, there's some major activity going on where you are truly indispensable, or you've been in the role less than a year (or whatever Hr policy is)

I'd simply have a conversation with your manager about the situation to understand his/her perspective and take it from there.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

In my ~13.5 years experience in financial services operations, I would say hands-down that an engineering mindset would contribute to being successful. Being able to logically think through problems and come up with solutions is huge. The day-to-day stuff isn't what kills you, it's dealing with problems that represents 90% of your stress and headache. That may not apply to all operations everywhere as it's kind of a catch-all word for a lot of different things but just my two cents.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It's a little hard to understand given the context. Typically, at larger firms, the process for switching roles varies by seniority. For simplicity, let's say there are "senior" roles and "junior" roles. Senior roles are usually filled via a skating or succession process (eg there isn't a job to bid on). Junior roles are generally filled, administratively at least, very similarly to an external hire. There's often an interview (albeit different formality) which is usually followed or preceded by due diligence by the new hiring manger.

I'm assuming the meetings you described were effectively proxies for interviews or fit. Assuming there is a fit, most organizations ensure that there is an amicable time frame established for the transition to allow the manager of the departing resource to maintain business continuity. This is generally a non-issue because employees in these roles are generally more fungible and .org. want to retain and promote talent. Of course, this assumes this isn't a critical time of year, there's some major activity going on where you are truly indispensable, or you've been in the role less than a year (or whatever Hr policy is)

I'd simply have a conversation with your manager about the situation to understand his/her perspective and take it from there.

The boss of that entire division essentially sought me out and cleared it with all parties; my current boss though went back on what he said and documented (all through email and our data system). The new position I'd hold would/will be a construction/contractor account manager.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
For my fellow software developers here, do any of you work on any freelance projects outside of your normal full-time job?

Is this something my employer could get upset about? The small project I may take on isn’t for a competitor or anything, so I don’t think there should be a problem.

I should probably find my employment contract.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
For my fellow software developers here, do any of you work on any freelance projects outside of your normal full-time job?

Is this something my employer could get upset about? The small project I may take on isn’t for a competitor or anything, so I don’t think there should be a problem.

all the time and if they get upset that would be really strange...

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

When I did code, I wrote a few small database apps for my local political party's organization. Nobody said anything. I really didn't get paid for it either.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Just spoke to my boss and he said it’s fine as long as they don’t compete with us and I don’t use any proprietary libraries. Those are both obvious.

I’m going to confirm with my director next.

Now for those of you who freelanced, how do you handle support? Like I plan on making this desktop app but I don’t really plan on supporting it forever. What I want to do is make the app, ship it, support it for a couple months to work out the kinks, then be gone.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
So I just found out it’s allowed, but I have to fill out a compliance form for every company I do a project for. I just can’t work on certain types of projects (anything related to investments) and I need manager and compliance approval.

I should be good to go.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Any writers in here? I've found myself a job that I'm eager about that has some really solid opportunity but I was unsure about pay rates or retainers? I'd be writing articles for events the company covers and maybe some social media work for their Facebook page to start and can take on more responsibility as I go.

I graduated college a few months ago and this would be freelance work so I'm not expecting anything crazy, I just didn't want to needlessly undersell myself either :laugh:

Any advice?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Any writers in here? I've found myself a job that I'm eager about that has some really solid opportunity but I was unsure about pay rates or retainers? I'd be writing articles for events the company covers and maybe some social media work for their Facebook page to start and can take on more responsibility as I go.

I graduated college a few months ago and this would be freelance work so I'm not expecting anything crazy, I just didn't want to needlessly undersell myself either :laugh:

Any advice?

IIRC, Killem did some free lance writing. He might be a good person to ask.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Study: 8 out of 10 people have cried at work

Interesting stat. And what % of the 2 remaining lied? I don't remember if I ever cried AT work but I have cried because of work. I probably did cry at work at some point. My last job before this was utter hell.

Don't think I've ever cried, but I have punched a wall. I've screamed when I've gotten back to my car.

This past Friday I got into an argument on a call. Thankfully, it was only three people. I was not going to be continually disrespected. I told her that and hung up.

I could go on for days as to what's happened over the last few months, but unfortunately, most of it is confidential, and don't want to post anything that would be used against me if I take legal action.

Still TRYING my damnedest to leave! There is just absolutely nothing full time near my salary and experience level. I do not buy this "great economy" nonsense and 3.8% unemployment BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad