OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Sorry to jump in the middle of a conversation, but seeing this thread pop up made my feel like it was fate to ask others out there... has anyone here done a complete career change? Or made a noticeable shift in the type of work they were doing? If so, did you go back to school to make the switch? Starting to think about what I might need to do to find something I enjoy more. Appreciate any insight.

I left finance to go into law. Before you make any change, figure out what the change will cost in terms of time and money. For me it was three years of income plus loans. I love what I do now more than my old job, and that's important. But it took serious hustle to land a new job that justified the cost of switching careers.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I left finance to go into law. Before you make any change, figure out what the change will cost in terms of time and money. For me it was three years of income plus loans. I love what I do now more than my old job, and that's important. But it took serious hustle to land a new job that justified the cost of switching careers.

Can I ask what kind of law you do?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Besides for Italian/pizza they have decent food. They have a lot of chains I love that we don’t really have a ton of in NYC like CAVA, Tropical Smoothie, MOD, and Raising Canes

There are a few CAVAs here. It's a block from where (Jersey City) I work and it's absolutely amazing. I can't believe it's a chain. Such high quality and I'm doing keto and it allows me to get a keto friendly meal that's delicious. It's absolutely mind-boggling how much better it is that almost all the salads I've had which are mostly horrible quality. Honestly, if not for CAVA I would have probably not been able to maintain my diet. A complete life saver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fongule

Fongule

Aug 12, 2013
Durbanville, South Africa
There are a few CAVAs here. It's a block from where (Jersey City) I work and it's absolutely amazing. I can believe it's a chain. Such high quality and I'm doing keto and it allows me to get a keto friendly meal that's delicious. It's absolutely mind-boggling how much better it is that almost all the salads I've had which are mostly horrible quality. Honestly, if not for CAVA I would have probably not been able to maintain my diet. A complete life saver.
Couldn’t agree more, get a water cup and for less than $10 you’re stuffed for the next 5 hours. The seasonal harissa tomato soup they have is also bomb. I love cava but unfortunately there’s none in Brooklyn or Staten Island yet :(, they’re everywhere down here in the DMV though, must of originated from here

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Couldn’t agree more, get a water cup and for less than $10 you’re stuffed for the next 5 hours. The seasonal harissa tomato soup they have is also bomb. I love cava but unfortunately there’s none in Brooklyn or Staten Island yet :(, they’re everywhere down here in the DMV though, must of originated from here

It costs me a little more because I take lamb. I literally get the same thing every day and the employee knows what I want. If I get another job I'll just have it delivered pay whatever charges and tips are necessary.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Any lawyers in the house?

Gonna be a rising 3L next year. Have my Biglaw summer approaching in a month. Both excited/nervous.
Hi

Enjoy 3L year haha

I'm not in big law, but had offers and have a handful of friends that went that route

Still might be able to help with the general gist of things

Reactions: Matt4776

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Does anyone have experience going from a smaller financial services firm to a larger bank? How difficult is it? Do they only look at people from larger banks?

Don't know, but don't let Big Bank Bros get you down.

I work in Insurance, and these dudes come in here and there from big banks, walking in like they own the place. And then they get eaten alive by the complexity of insurance (state regulations, compliance, etc). It's hilarious to see.

Learning the lapse rules by state is a little harder than monitoring ETFs on a screen all day.

(No offense to anyone here......I used to do it at the Mercantile exchange many years ago)

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Damn this board is full of geniuses I just took city tests til I hit the big one ;)

Good to have a few list #s in your back pocket while you’re going to school and starting out on a potential career.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Does anyone have experience going from a smaller financial services firm to a larger bank? How difficult is it? Do they only look at people from larger banks?
I was just going to ask a version of this.

I just got promoted from the legal dpt to the Operations and Client service group at my firm... I'm planning on take the CFA level 1 in December, but would eventually like to move to a market facing role (Trading/ equity research). Is this unheard of? what sort of obstacles will I face and how should i prepare?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was just going to ask a version of this.

I just got promoted from the legal dpt to the Operations and Client service group at my firm... I'm planning on take the CFA level 1 in December, but would eventually like to move to a market facing role (Trading/ equity research). Is this unheard of? what sort of obstacles will I face and how should i prepare?

Have you considered getting an MBA?

Edit: Though neither of those are traditional MBA jobs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Any lawyers in the house?

Gonna be a rising 3L next year. Have my Biglaw summer approaching in a month. Both excited/nervous.

I am a member of the Swedish Bar Association and has worked for a law firm for almost a decade now. Working at a law firm is really fun, very challenging but also pretty diverse work. The first 5-6 years were really tough work wise with long hours while having 3 small kids. Now the work part is much easier, I’ve done well more than my 10,000 hours so to speak. But the selling part is still a bit tough.

If anyone ever want to get in touch, ask about how something is regulated by the EU or whatever, don’t hesitate to ask.

Reactions: Matt4776

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Besides for Italian/pizza they have decent food. They have a lot of chains I love that we don’t really have a ton of in NYC like CAVA, Tropical Smoothie, MOD, and Raising Canes

There’s actually a really good Italian (pasta) joint in Richmond called Edo’s Squid. Excellent beer scene too, Triple Crossing topping my list.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

I went from a small regional bank to a "small" larger bank. They culture was much different and that took some getting used to but nothing too crazy.

If your the right candidate and have the right things the hiring manager is looking for, it doesnt matter the size of the bank you came from.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig