OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure where else to put this, but maybe here I can get some help.

Is there anyone here who is savvy with Photoshop? I need to isolate some players from on-ice photos but my Photoshop skills aren't nearly as advanced as they need to be to get it done without it looking like shit.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Would you ever consider leaving and taking a pay cut?

You know the hellish situation I'm in now and the market not being "friendly" to older, experienced people. My wife will not move. She's bound and determined to defy logic and reason. I don't know how much more idiocy I can put up with in my current job.

I ask because a recruiter contacted me from another company with an interesting position. The issue is that the top range of the salary is what I make now. It's certainly not a step forward in any way whatsoever. It's a step sideways and maybe even backward. But, it would get me out of this hell and I wouldn't have to commute into the pit of Mordor every day (uptown Charlotte).

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

You know the hellish situation I'm in now and the market not being "friendly" to older, experienced people. My wife will not move. She's bound and determined to defy logic and reason. I don't know how much more idiocy I can put up with in my current job.

I ask because a recruiter contacted me from another company with an interesting position. The issue is that the top range of the salary is what I make now. It's certainly not a step forward in any way whatsoever. It's a step sideways and maybe even backward. But, it would get me out of this hell and I wouldn't have to commute into the pit of Mordor every day (uptown Charlotte).

I always consider things. That's what smart people do - consider (but not necessarily act on) opportunities put in front of them.

My father told me when I was younger, "It's better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable." So, I toughed it out at a job I liked instead of going on a Crusade for riches by bouncing around. If you don't like your job, then that's a good reason to begin shopping and considering other opportunities.

You'll need to ask yourself if you can afford the potential loss of income. Yes, you may not be making as much, but you write that you'll also no be commuting as far, and therefore, you'll save wear, tear, and maintenance on the car (not to mention parking, if you currently pay for it.) You'll also get a good chunk of your day back to do other things. So even though you may see a reduction in income, it may come out as a net gain if you save $$$ on gas and parking (plus the time spent behind the wheel.)

Does the opportunity have no possibility for advancement? Maybe you take a step back before you can make two steps forward.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Commute is that bad into Charlotte? Isn't the city like smaller than Philly??

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Commute is that bad into Charlotte? Isn't the city like smaller than Philly??

The drive itself isn't that bad, assuming I leave early enough, even though I live within the city itself. Leaving early is like leaving well before 7 AM. It's the nonsense that goes with working in a city with non-stop building and not enough parking (and non-existent reliable public transportation). Have to watch out for construction trucks that aren't looking, cranes, open holes, and other nonsense you'd expect to see at a construction site, not on public sidewalks and streets.

Actually, if you live to the north, the commute is worse than the LIE on I-77. I don't. I live in SE Charlotte.

Charlotte traffic is bad. It's not quite NJ/NY bad, but the infrastructure cannot handle much more. As I said in a previous post, it's not extended out 35 miles like it is up there. But inside city limits? It can be as bad.

This other opportunity? The actual drive might be twice as long, but it's less crazy, meaning I don't have to rush out the door, and it's in an office park - no getting wallet raped to park. Plus no life risking walking into the building.

Area wise - Charlotte itself is larger than Philadelphia. MSA wise - Philadelphia is much larger.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Not sure where else to put this, but maybe here I can get some help.

Is there anyone here who is savvy with Photoshop? I need to isolate some players from on-ice photos but my Photoshop skills aren't nearly as advanced as they need to be to get it done without it looking like ****.
I'm no Photoshop expert, but I've dabbled. My recommendation is to zoom in a lot and use the Pen/Path tool to trace.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
I'd say a one year party especially at hard programs like the one I went to. In year two you can choose any classes. In our 4th quarter half the people travelled.
Where did you go? I went to solid program and absolutely two year party. You worked your butt off for sure, but it's still school and not work work.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Where did you go? I went to solid program and absolutely two year party. You worked your butt off for sure, but it's still school and not work work.

Carnegie Mellon. Notoriously tough quantitative curriculum. Some better schools are more case study based and more networking based.

Where'd you go?

Reactions: CasusBelli

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Hey guys, I have one last paper due for the end of the semester and am doing it on "HF Boards" and how far the forums have come (along with technology). I know some have been on here for a while and was hoping to score some assistance. Thanks!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Put in my notice today. Switching firms to join a couple partners who recently departed and asked me to come with. The move comes with better comp, better health insurance, and better branding. My firm offered to counter, which I politely declined. People will have different opinions on that. Off to celebratory drinks with the wife.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Not sure if there's any Firefighters in here but I just got my letter for the CPAT (physical) training program. I've been training for a few months now and still have until Fall but the letter just shows it's one step closer to becoming a reality. I've been dreaming of being in the FDNY since I was a kid so to say this whole process has been anxiety inducing would be an understatement, I'm so nervous about it lol.

Reactions: NCRanger

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For the first time in my career, the professor professor (I'm an assistant instructor) let me do THE grades. So I was feeling pretty good today. That is, until I actually had to fail people and hit "submit." Nothing about that feels good. But I have to. It's not fair to my passing students who worked hard to pass not to. I'll never understand people who sign up for a course and PAY FOR IT and don't even remotely try.

To that point, it's sort of like an unwritten/pseudo-written rule that we're not supposed to grade on attendance for three reasons and I'm going to tell you why they're all bullshit.

1) It's not a true measure of performance.

First of all, neither are tests but we grade them on about three of those every semester, but I digress. Performance is important, but when you have a job, you actually have to show up to that job to perform. Any boss in the world is going to take a C performer who's always there when needed over an A performer who misses days constantly.

2)Students have other engagements which preclude them from participation.

Then don't take the class?? :help:

You signed up for it. You gave your word. You made a written commitment. You're over 18 and that means something now.

I know you have a life. Two years into my career and I've already seen it all. I've had full-time workers, soldiers, police academy recruits, firefighters, EMT's, nurses, mothers, fathers, caretakers, disabled students, sick students, and everything else. Most of them, actually, managed to do very well.

If something comes up that severely limits your participation, talk to me and we'll set up a schedule for you to make up work. I'm not a drill sergeant. But if you completely ignore my class all semester, I'm going to ignore you on the spreadsheet.

3)It creates bias towards students who attend regularly.

You're god damn right it does!

If you score 1 point below a grade level (let's say you got 79 and 80 is B-range) and I see you twice a week every week busting your butt, I'll say "close enough."

If I don't know who you are, when I submit my grades, I'm going to treat you like I don't know who you are.

Guilty as charged. I am biased towards students who show up.

Why? Because your job is going to be biased towards employing people who show up.

Everyone gets sick and has bad days. I don't expect you to be perfect. I'm talking about students who are out here scoring 31/100 for the semester because in four months I saw them three times, with no correspondence.

I swear, I'm the nicest guy in the world, but when you make a commitment to a course and straight up ignore it for months on end, you have pushed my comprehension beyond its limits.

Now don't get me wrong, everyone gets the same points on tests and papers and attendance does not factor in to those grades whatsoever. That's technically what the rule is, and that's the way it should be.

But there's also going to be a bunch of in-class assignments and students who were in class to do in-class assignments are getting an extra 20-30 points on their final grade. That's a loophole we've found to reward attendance and we've gone out of our way to do that because most of the faculty agrees that the kid who shows up for the midterm and the final, and f***s off the other 14 weeks and gets an A for the course because he tests well, is not how it works in the real world.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oh and here's another one. The semester officially ends May 28th. After that, I am contractually obligated to sit on my couch until the first summer session.

One of these students I described above, who I've seen literally twice since January 25th, is going to see their grade, be disappointed, and email me "what can I do to make this work up?" on May 29th.

And this is the exact face I'm going to make

David-Quinn-1.jpg

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I work for a small(ish) financial services company and am vastly underpaid. But they supposedly give everyone who was there a year equity (do the same at 3 and 5 years). I was told by someone who worked there a year that because he performed well he got more equity. I'll probably be staying a year regardless but should I not hold my breath that the equity will be worth anything? The CEO has sold before so the equity might vest.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
So I work for a small(ish) financial services company and am vastly underpaid. But they supposedly give everyone who was there a year equity (do the same at 3 and 5 years). I was told by someone who worked there a year that because he performed well he got more equity. I'll probably be staying a year regardless but should I not hold my breath that the equity will be worth anything? The CEO has sold before so the equity might vest.
Do you enjoy the work? the company? I would rather lose out on the equity and work somewhere I like. Also I assume theres some vesting rules, to keep you there to avoid losing the equity.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Do you enjoy the work? the company? I would rather lose out on the equity and work somewhere I like. Also I assume theres some vesting rules, to keep you there to avoid losing the equity.

I very much enjoy what I do and the people I work with. That said that doesn't pay the bills.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Then you have to decide if you’d rather enjoy what you’re doing or make more money. Or try to find the perfect spot that you enjoy and pays well.

Well, that's why I'm asking about equity. I wonder if it'll be anything worth being patient for. I don't know how much equity I would get so hard to answer that question.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So checking in because I barely have time to post anymore and a dilemma. It's been about six months at my new job and I absolutely hate it. To the point where I dread Sunday nights and the best part of my work week is the morning naps. It's a very good reputable company and in a lot of ways I've finally "made it" after working for smaller companies the last decade plus. I don't fit in culturally, my manager who hired me has no time for me anymore and has a very short temper, (think of an AV style of delegation with Tortorella's attitude) and I get routinely made to look like a goober at meetings and in social situations. This is not a cry for help or me complaining, I believe all of us whether on this board, real life, etc. you shouldn't have to eat crap and take it everyday.

I had a chance about a week in to go back to my old company where the pay wasn't as good but I never minded being there and even working on weekends because they trusted me to do a good job and I could talk to anyone at any point and learn. My current manager pleaded with me not to leave and rather than follow my gut that something was wrong with this situation, I decided to keep with it and swing big. Bad choice.

I've went from wanting to stay for two years for the benefit match to fully accrue to one year just to have it on my resume to pretty much wanting to go in and quit on the spot. Obviously I'm not going to do that. If they can me or if I get to the point where I casually tell my manager off forcing them to get rid of me, so be it. The hours are long and while that's fine my health and mood have greatly suffered. It's either wake up at 4AM to go to the gym or only go at most 3 times a week if I'm lucky. Sundays are usually spent sleeping and recovering from all the BS and scolding.

I've moved around a lot over the last few years after having a very stable work life and being at a company for fairly long time so it looks a little weird. I have friends who own companies and will help me fix the appearance of being a "journeyman" the last two years. I've reached out to friends in markets outside of New York.

I'm writing this very personal information here for three reasons. The first is to hear people's opinions of the situation good or bad. If you're gonna blast me and call me spoiled and entitled, that's ok. I'm curious if anyone has ever been in a situation like this where they left a decent job to follow the money/reputation and after a short time realized it's not right. The second is this is a cautionary tale to anyone. Follow your gut. If you sense something isn't right, sometimes money isn't everything but sanity and not feeling miserable is. And the third is because I truly do miss posting here as much as I used to and while not everyone agrees with my opinions or even answers my content and I'll never win most popular poster (I'm a misfit I was born one and that's who I will be as long as I'm around) I know career comes first, family and health and everything else before HFBoards lol, but it's just an example of how important this place is and something as little as arguing about Pionk being unavailable is part of losing some of your happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad