OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
Well, the problem is I don't have the opportunity to even tell them what will set me apart. I don't even get interviews. Honestly, I could do the job for most of these jobs I apply for better than most. I have an MBA and I know how to analyze data. In fact, it's one of my biggest hobbies. It's frustrating that I don't even get the opportunity to make the case.

I posted this a few times in the analytics thread and the football thread, but it's appropriate here too. I think this blog that I have for sports analytics is a good work sample.

Sports Analysis

Many years ago I was in a similar spot so I empathize with your plight. Keep plugging away, don’t get too discouraged.

One thing I would say having worked in hedge funds and finance, competition is extremely stiff for the data analysis roles you might be seeking. To be honest, an MBA doesn’t mean dick (and I have one from a top 5 school). Most data guys have high level statistics and hard science PhDs. I’m not demeaning your abilities, I’m just saying you might be applying for a position where others who have better qualifications.

Also, have you worked your alumni database? It takes work to go through people’s profiles and screen out people who work in the field you’re interested in but most people are more than happy to have coffee with a fellow alum. That might not directly lead to a job, but they’ll keep you in mind if something comes across their desk or they might know of someone you could talk to.

Reactions: will1066

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I don't know, as I said it'll take forever to do and what I did is what I did. How do I personalize? Sometimes I can and do. But there's just so much I can change.

And I had some success previously with a resume that I didn't customize. Just not this time for some reason.

Another thing I thought of that I used to do is to always deliver the resume in person and when I got there I'd always ask to speak to the person the resume was going to.

Then I would hand it to them personally, shake their hand and say that I just wanted to take a minute to say hello and introduce myself.

People tend to always remember their last transaction and since interviews are really a reason to meet someone and gauge if they're a fit for the position they're offering, by introducing yourself they're gonna remember and think about you first.

You've essentially had the first part of an interview and left an impression, only they don't realize that part of it ;)

It gives you an immediate jump on the rest of the applicants.

PS..When I suggested stretching the truth on some things, that did not imply doing what I did at 16 and BSing through the entire resume lol but do sell yourself with a bit generously if you know what I mean..

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Many years ago I was in a similar spot so I empathize with your plight. Keep plugging away, don’t get too discouraged.

One thing I would say having worked in hedge funds and finance, competition is extremely stiff for the data analysis roles you might be seeking. To be honest, an MBA doesn’t mean dick (and I have one from a top 5 school). Most data guys have high level statistics and hard science PhDs. I’m not demeaning your abilities, I’m just saying you might be applying for a position where others who have better qualifications.

Also, have you worked your alumni database? It takes work to go through people’s profiles and screen out people who work in the field you’re interested in but most people are more than happy to have coffee with a fellow alum. That might not directly lead to a job, but they’ll keep you in mind if something comes across their desk or they might know of someone you could talk to.

I'm not looking for hedge fun or finance roles. Most of these roles are paying like 75k max. Compare that to what the average coming out of my business school two years ago, it's $40k less. There's a huge gap between what people in marketing analytics/research and finance/hedge funds, I don't think you can even compare the two. Some of the roles I applied to admittedly are probably a bit above my abilities (and I ended up interviewing for one), if I see a role asking for exclusively statistics degrees or even see the word Ph.D. on the job description I don't apply. I've also applied to roles well within my capabilities.

As far as the alumni database, I went through it in LinkedIn and virtually everyone worked for financial services or for consulting companies. Mind they probably have some marketing roles too but I have experience at neither a bank or consulting company and I think it's a long shot.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Another thing I thought of that I used to do is to always deliver the resume in person and when I got there I'd always ask to speak to the person the resume was going to.

Then I would hand it to them personally, shake their hand and say that I just wanted to take a minute to say hello and introduce myself.

People tend to always remember their last transaction and since interviews are really a reason to meet someone and gauge if they're a fit for the position they're offering, by introducing yourself they're gonna remember and think about you first.

You've essentially had the first part of an interview and left an impression, only they don't realize that part of it ;)

It gives you an immediate jump on the rest of the applicants.

PS..When I suggested stretching the truth on some things, that did not imply doing what I did at 16 and BSing through the entire resume lol but do sell yourself with a bit generously if you know what I mean..

I mean, nowadays everything is done online. I'm not even sure how I'd do it in person.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm not looking for hedge fun or finance roles. Most of these roles are paying like 75k max. Compare that to what the average coming out of my business school two years ago, it's $40k less. There's a huge gap between what people in marketing analytics/research and finance/hedge funds, I don't think you can even compare the two. Some of the roles I applied to admittedly are probably a bit above my abilities (and I ended up interviewing for one), if I see a role asking for exclusively statistics degrees or even see the word Ph.D. on the job description I don't apply. I've also applied to roles well within my capabilities.

As far as the alumni database, I went through it in LinkedIn and virtually everyone worked for financial services or for consulting companies. Mind they probably have some marketing roles too but I have experience at neither a bank or consulting company and I think it's a long shot.

There are tons of roles in banking which use/require analytics.

Don't write off consulting companies either.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Hey guys I'm a senior in college right now and I was wondering if anyone had some career advice for me. I'm applying for a bunch of financial analyst and data analyst positions right now and haven't gotten much good news yet. Yes that means I'm one of those fancy stats people! Just figured I'd ask you guys since we're a pretty diverse group. Feel free to respond or DM me!

Don't be like the normal, whiny, lazy, legend in your own mind, millennials who suck as employees. That will give you an advantage right off the bat.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Don't be like the normal, whiny, lazy, legend in your own mind, millennials who suck as employees. That will give you an advantage right off the bat.
I've been at this firm for nearly a year in a back office role. At first they treated me like "the Millennial" but i think i've done a good job of getting them to drop that impression

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because normal humans and people good at their job usually are able to function without freaking out about generational stereotypes.

There are people that do act like what tradenashnow said but his post was just an opportunity to vent about frankly, politics. And honestly I ridicule millennials as much as anyone but his post was ridiculous and inappropriate, in keeping with his hockey posts.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
@SnowblindNYR just catching up on the last couple pages on your plight. I feel for you man. It's frustrating.

This time of year most companies aren't hiring as much they're posting jobs. A lot of time don't have the budget to add employees for 2018, and are looking at 2019. At this point they're mostly building a profile of the candidate they can get for roles.

I would take this time to get ready for your search post holidays. Take a step back and regroup. Take a look at the types of jobs you've been applying to. Categorize them. Say marketing research, finance, and management consulting (all just examples). Review job postings for these types and concentrate on what they're looking for. Keep in mind that a lot of recruiters aren't experts in every job they're looking for. So they are looking for certain terms/words to help them find candidates. For example, I worked in my company on our finance transformation, implementing a new ERP for the company. Since I did that and updated my linkedin profile, i get emails from recruiters every day. Everyone is doing some sort of transformation and ERP upgrade, and those key terms/words on my resume seem to be a hot topic. If you worked on a project to update a system, don't just say that - say you worked to help modernize and streamline processing on blah blah blah. Think strategic and not tactical in your language.

Create your own profile of you for each job. Tailor the resume and cover letter. Then start applying. I would recommend less of a mass appeal - don't send it to a million places. Focus more on places you want to work, research the company and industry. Have your cover letter or discussion center around why you can help THAT company. You're less likely to get hits with a very generic resume that appeals to all.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
@SnowblindNYR just catching up on the last couple pages on your plight. I feel for you man. It's frustrating.

This time of year most companies aren't hiring as much they're posting jobs. A lot of time don't have the budget to add employees for 2018, and are looking at 2019. At this point they're mostly building a profile of the candidate they can get for roles.

I would take this time to get ready for your search post holidays. Take a step back and regroup. Take a look at the types of jobs you've been applying to. Categorize them. Say marketing research, finance, and management consulting (all just examples). Review job postings for these types and concentrate on what they're looking for. Keep in mind that a lot of recruiters aren't experts in every job they're looking for. So they are looking for certain terms/words to help them find candidates. For example, I worked in my company on our finance transformation, implementing a new ERP for the company. Since I did that and updated my linkedin profile, i get emails from recruiters every day. Everyone is doing some sort of transformation and ERP upgrade, and those key terms/words on my resume seem to be a hot topic. If you worked on a project to update a system, don't just say that - say you worked to help modernize and streamline processing on blah blah blah. Think strategic and not tactical in your language.

Create your own profile of you for each job. Tailor the resume and cover letter. Then start applying. I would recommend less of a mass appeal - don't send it to a million places. Focus more on places you want to work, research the company and industry. Have your cover letter or discussion center around why you can help THAT company. You're less likely to get hits with a very generic resume that appeals to all.

Thank you, much appreciated.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I got a LinkedIn message from a recruiter for a role at a cool company in NY. The role seems a bit junior but it does say that they have several roles and they're "junior-mid level". So maybe I'll have an opportunity for a bit of a higher role (i.e. mid-level). Anyway, it seems like a great opportunity that checks all the boxes. I replied back to him but haven't gotten a response yet. It's a bit unreasonable to expect an answer that day but last time a recruiter contacted me she disappeared, so I'm a little worried. But, I'm crossing my fingers it works out. I got my second job out of college this way. A good friend of mine got a job at a well-known tech company like that. So, I'm being really hopeful.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I just had an interview and I think I blew it. I'm super depressed.
If I had a dollar for every interview I blew....

I remember I interviewed with IBM. It was like a full day 3 part interview thing. The first two interviews I knocked out of the park. The third i was so confident that i blew it all at the end.

Learn from your mistakes and keep moving.

My current job i thought i was bombing mid-way through the interview. It turns out I was the first guy to interview and after i interviewed they cancelled everyone else.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So I got a LinkedIn message from a recruiter for a role at a cool company in NY. The role seems a bit junior but it does say that they have several roles and they're "junior-mid level". So maybe I'll have an opportunity for a bit of a higher role (i.e. mid-level). Anyway, it seems like a great opportunity that checks all the boxes. I replied back to him but haven't gotten a response yet. It's a bit unreasonable to expect an answer that day but last time a recruiter contacted me she disappeared, so I'm a little worried. But, I'm crossing my fingers it works out. I got my second job out of college this way. A good friend of mine got a job at a well-known tech company like that. So, I'm being really hopeful.

I get ghosted ALL THE TIME, I'd say 95% of the time I respond to a recruiter on LinkedIn. I don't even bother following up any more. Honestly, it's a numbers game with them. If you check all the boxes and they get you first, you win. Otherwise, you could now be on Mars.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I just had an interview and I think I blew it. I'm super depressed.

The job that I got in Nashville, and then no offer given, I bull****ted my way through it because I had never done what they were asking me. I've worked around it and had been involved in aspects of it, but never directly in it. I put myself in the role and used what I knew from what I heard. I thought a company that large and that international would have seen through the facade. They didn't and absolutely loved me. Only didn't get the job because the hiring manager wanted to hire me and give me a team to start when it wasn't in the budget. Still pissed about it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The job that I got in Nashville, and then no offer given, I bull****ted my way through it because I had never done what they were asking me. I've worked around it and had been involved in aspects of it, but never directly in it. I put myself in the role and used what I knew from what I heard. I thought a company that large and that international would have seen through the facade. They didn't and absolutely loved me. Only didn't get the job because the hiring manager wanted to hire me and give me a team to start when it wasn't in the budget. Still pissed about it.

I just answered a question about client interaction poorly in an account management role. I was doing really well up to that point and I thought pretty well after it too. But that question I have an awful feeling about. Last time I had an awful feeling about a question it was the reason I didn't go through. One question was whether I've done market research and I've done some of what they do which is quantitative but was way more confident talking the qualitative research that I've done because that was way more extensive. Later she said that it's a quantitative role and whether that would be a problem since I mentioned my qualitative research. So a friend of mine thinks that's a good sign that she wants me and what's to check the box.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I just answered a question about client interaction poorly in an account management role. I was doing really well up to that point and I thought pretty well after it too. But that question I have an awful feeling about. Last time I had an awful feeling about a question it was the reason I didn't go through. One question was whether I've done market research and I've done some of what they do which is quantitative but was way more confident talking the qualitative research that I've done because that was way more extensive. Later she said that it's a quantitative role and whether that would be a problem since I mentioned my qualitative research. So a friend of mine thinks that's a good sign that she wants me and what's to check the box.

Was it an interview with a recruiter, or an interview at an actual company? The recruiter is just looking to send over candidates. She's just looking for the best person to make her firm money.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm supposed to do a presentation for next round. This is a market research company and the focus is on advertising. So I'm going to keep it humorous and light-hearted. But I'm not sure if that will be seen as unprofessional.

Reactions: NCRanger

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
So I'm supposed to do a presentation for next round. This is a market research company and the focus is on advertising. So I'm going to keep it humorous and light-hearted. But I'm not sure if that will be seen as unprofessional.
OK, I'm sure you've done this already, but try and find out who this company has as its current clients. Then take a look at these clients' ads and media presence and that should give you an idea of what type presentation they would find relevant. Good luck!

Reactions: Ori and NCRanger

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
OK, I'm sure you've done this already, but try and find out who this company has as its current clients. Then take a look at these clients' ads and media presence and that should give you an idea of what type presentation they would find relevant. Good luck!

Thanks. I haven't done that, haha. That's a good idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad