OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Nah. You didn't **** it up, so long as you sent that email to the alum reasonably quickly.

I bet wrong MS Word docs and stuff happen all the time. Because you knew someone there (the alum), it makes it easier to explain the screw up and have them understand.

As long as your cover letter didn't include the name of a different company, you're gucci.

Well, my email to the alum was just a general email of why I'm a good fit. I didn't really dwell on the cover letter just mentioned that I attached a copy of my resume and amended cover letter. I don't want to make too big of a deal about it. It's possible they don't even read cover letters. Sometimes I think if I make too big of a deal about something the other party is more likely too. Thanks for the help!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Funny story, I have left a company name of a company that I wasn't applying to before and still got the interview. They probably didn't even read the cover letter or just skimmed through it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
dude....this sounds like a train wreck

congrats on the interview though

Thanks, it was a shitty interview though, haha.

In some way what happened this time is more of a train wreck because it was way more conspicuous. Oh well, at least it'll be clear that I wasn't just copy and pasting an old cover letter.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm in a crisis right now. It's partially personal and partially career. I just have this really bad feeling that I'm not cut out for the type of jobs I want. And it's not just because of a lack of experience. It's in part that I don't have amazing experience but it's much more than that. I don't know how much I want to get into but I feel like the type of person that succeeds in business has the opposite personality of me. They tend to be these quiet reserved guys that show no emotion. I'm the opposite of that. I always wish that I'd find a company where they're a little more open minded. But I don't know maybe at some point I just have to change who I am. I've worked at it, but it's not easy. It's my personality.

Sorry about opening up here but I've been really down lately.

I read your latest post which led me to this one.

Few things if you don't mind me giving my opinion.

Experience is everything but depending on the situation, sometimes you have to manipulate the facts a little.

Example.. When I was 16 years old and in between construction jobs, I ended up passing a company that delivered propane tanks in NYC.
I was always a hustler and loved making money so I decided to BS my way through the whole application.
I mean.. What's the worst that can happen..I don't get the job right?

Long story short..I ended up getting the job and here I was, 16 years old, driving a 35' box truck into Manhattan every day and didn't even have a f***ing license haha.

I was making as much money as most of the adults I knew.

Anyway.. The point being that sometimes you may have to BS a little in order to get ahead in life.
As long as you really know what you're doing in your field and can actually back it up then just get after it!

As far as emotions go?

Put on your big boy pants and leave that shit at home.

It does not belong in the work place and nobody, I mean nobody...gives a flying f*** about your personal issues in the business world and it's none of no one else's business anyway.

Use your head, work hard and get creative if you want to get ahead.

Never give up!

Good luck to you..

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I read your latest post which led me to this one.

Few things if you don't mind me giving my opinion.

Experience is everything but depending on the situation, sometimes you have to manipulate the facts a little.

Example.. When I was 16 years old and in between construction jobs, I ended up passing a company that delivered propane tanks in NYC.
I was always a hustler and loved making money so I decided to BS my way through the whole application.
I mean.. What's the worst that can happen..I don't get the job right?

Long story short..I ended up getting the job and here I was, 16 years old, driving a 35' box truck into Manhattan every day and didn't even have a ****ing license haha.

I was making as much money as most of the adults I knew.

Anyway.. The point being that sometimes you may have to BS a little in order to get ahead in life.
As long as you really know what you're doing in your field and can actually back it up then just get after it!

As far as emotions go?

Put on your big boy pants and leave that **** at home.

It does not belong in the work place and nobody, I mean nobody...gives a flying **** about your personal issues in the business world and it's none of no one else's business anyway.

Use your head, work hard and get creative if you want to get ahead.

Never give up!

Good luck to you..

Thanks, the emotions thing was about this conversation I had with my friend who thinks that only taciturn types of people get ahead. I don't think it's prudent to be super emotional at work. Regarding the rest, it's tough it's not really my personality. I've long since gone for roles that should be in my wheelhouse and I shouldn't have to lie, except nothing happened, no interviews, nothing.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Thanks, the emotions thing was about this conversation I had with my friend who thinks that only taciturn types of people get ahead. I don't think it's prudent to be super emotional at work. Regarding the rest, it's tough it's not really my personality. I've long since gone for roles that should be in my wheelhouse and I shouldn't have to lie, except nothing happened, no interviews, nothing.

When companies are looking to hire, they already have a very specific type of person in mind so I don't think you should take it personally.

Start focusing on what is going to set you apart from everyone else.

Find a something, anything, that someone else might not bring to the table.

Working late hours?
Holidays?
Start early?

You get the idea.

Make it happen my man

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
When companies are looking to hire, they already have a very specific type of person in mind so I don't think you should take it personally.

Start focusing on what is going to set you apart from everyone else.

Find a something, anything, that someone else might not bring to the table.

Working late hours?
Holidays?
Start early?

You get the idea.

Make it happen my man

Well, the problem is I don't have the opportunity to even tell them what will set me apart. I don't even get interviews. Honestly, I could do the job for most of these jobs I apply for better than most. I have an MBA and I know how to analyze data. In fact, it's one of my biggest hobbies. It's frustrating that I don't even get the opportunity to make the case.

I posted this a few times in the analytics thread and the football thread, but it's appropriate here too. I think this blog that I have for sports analytics is a good work sample.

Sports Analysis

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
So I counted today. Since June I have sent out 207 applications. I got 2 interviews. FML.
I'm not a business person, not even close to understanding that field to be honest. Just from my experience in applying for jobs or schools, have you tried changing up these applications at all or are you basically sending the same one to all these companies?

Insert cliches: gotta sell yourself, have to grab their attention, etc.

maybe open a couple empty word docs and rewrite your cover letters and resume?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Well, the problem is I don't have the opportunity to even tell them what will set me apart. I don't even get interviews. Honestly, I could do the job for most of these jobs I apply for better than most. I have an MBA and I know how to analyze data. In fact, it's one of my biggest hobbies. It's frustrating that I don't even get the opportunity to make the case.

I posted this a few times in the analytics thread and the football thread, but it's appropriate here too. I think this blog that I have for sports analytics is a good work sample.

Igor Zolotusky's Analysis

If you're not getting interviews then maybe try going back to the basics.

Is it something that you can do to improve your resume?

Keep it very business like but add as much information that pertains to EXACTLY what they're looking for as opposed to just a generic version that maybe you're looking to mass send?

Take the time to personalize and tailor each resume for that specific company and their needs.
Address every single thing in their ad and be meticulous about the details even if you have to blow sunshine up their ass.

What is it that's going to set you aside from all the other applicants?

Instead if getting down on things, try to take on the mind set that you are an asset to anyone that hires you.
Very important!

You know.. The polar opposite of the way I look at the NYR management? :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not a business person, not even close to understanding that field to be honest. Just from my experience in applying for jobs or schools, have you tried changing up these applications at all or are you basically sending the same one to all these companies?

Insert cliches: gotta sell yourself, have to grab their attention, etc.

maybe open a couple empty word docs and rewrite your cover letters and resume?

I have a couple of versions for cover letters, I do with resumes too but that's more like switching bullet points. I don't know I feel like I'd send 1 application a week if I had to change my resume and cover letter for all of them.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you're not getting interviews then maybe try going back to the basics.

Is it something that you can do to improve your resume?

Keep it very business like but add as much information that pertains to EXACTLY what they're looking for as opposed to just a generic version that maybe you're looking to mass send?

Take the time to personalize and tailor each resume for that specific company and their needs.
Address every single thing in their ad and be meticulous about the details even if you have to blow sunshine up their ass.

What is it that's going to set you aside from all the other applicants?

Instead if getting down on things, try to take on the mind set that you are an asset to anyone that hires you.
Very important!

You know.. The polar opposite of the way I look at the NYR management? :laugh:

I don't know, as I said it'll take forever to do and what I did is what I did. How do I personalize? Sometimes I can and do. But there's just so much I can change.

And I had some success previously with a resume that I didn't customize. Just not this time for some reason.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Have you looked at key words these postings are using? Don’t be afraid to borrow their language.

In general don’t be afraid to use empowered words when describing what you did.

Don’t just tell me you worked at the supermarket and stocked produce, tell me you worked to enhance the retail experience by ensuring supply chains reflected customer preferences and that you oversaw front line quality control for the largest grocery chain in Nassau County.

Reactions: Crease

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I have a couple of versions for cover letters, I do with resumes too but that's more like switching bullet points. I don't know I feel like I'd send 1 application a week if I had to change my resume and cover letter for all of them.
Oh no, I agree. Re-writing for each application is impractical. I just meant if you're not getting the results you want maybe try changing things up.

I saw above that fibbing a bit was suggested. Sure it could make you look better, but I personally am really against that. In my past I have felt that my resume speaks for itself and is impressive enough that I should not have to lie to be interesting.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I don't know, as I said it'll take forever to do and what I did is what I did. How do I personalize? Sometimes I can and do. But there's just so much I can change.

And I had some success previously with a resume that I didn't customize. Just not this time for some reason.

Well.. This time is obviously what matters and the past is the past.

It's not easy out there but if it's important than it takes as long as it takes.

I'm not sure how old you are but I would like to think that your well being is worth taking the extra time to change whatever is necessary in order to get a leg up on things, no?

I'll try a different approach.. Think of a job application like a women in distress.

Speak to the feelings instead of just offering a solution, if that makes sense.

Just go with whatever they're looking for and accent the f*** out of it.

Be very specific to their needs otherwise they will just glance over your resume..

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Oh no, I agree. Re-writing for each application is impractical. I just meant if you're not getting the results you want maybe try changing things up.

I saw above that fibbing a bit was suggested. Sure it could make you look better, but I personally am really against that. In my past I have felt that my resume speaks for itself and is impressive enough that I should not have to lie to be interesting.

I am firm believer in being honest with your resume.

For me it’s all in the presentation. Don’t lie, but don’t be afraid to brag.

A lot of people don’t really state the value in what they do. They tell you what they did, often in a very bland way. But they don’t always tell you why it was important.

And my advice for anyone is to understand that sometimes the potential employer is just a shit show and there is very little you can do about that.

I once lost out on a job I was an ideal fit for on paper because “we liked the other persons PowerPoint better.” The entire process was weird and the truth is I had some serious doubts about the company prior to that comment.

Meanwhile, the PowerPoint wasn’t actually a stated part of the interview process — it was supposed to compliment a portfolio presentation.

Needless to say, they went through 3 people in 3 years in the position.

Sometimes it’s better to not get the job.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I am firm believer in being honest with your resume.

For me it’s all in the presentation. Don’t lie, but don’t be afraid to brag.

A lot of people don’t really state the value in what they do. They tell you what they did, often in a very bland way. But they don’t always tell you why it was important.

And my advice for anyone is to understand that sometimes the potential employer is just a **** show and there is very little you can do about that.

I once lost out on a job I was an ideal fit for on paper because “we liked the other persons PowerPoint better.” The entire process was weird and the truth is I had some serious doubts about the company prior to that comment.

Meanwhile, the PowerPoint wasn’t actually a stated part of the interview process — it was supposed to compliment a portfolio presentation.

Needless to say, they went through 3 people in 3 years in the position.

Sometimes it’s better to not get the job.

Well you got a rare honest answer as to why you didn't get it.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Re-tailoring your resume to fit their application and career path options that they list can sometimes be a help. Sometimes they automatically sort out applications by certain criteria.

Sending a follow-up email to whatever or whoever is listed in recruitment/hiring/etc. with something simple along the lines of 'I recently applied... hope to gain an interview... thank you for taking your time to read this... blah blah' can help as well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Re-tailoring your resume to fit their application and career path options that they list can sometimes be a help. Sometimes they automatically sort out applications by certain criteria.

Sending a follow-up email to whatever or whoever is listed in recruitment/hiring/etc. with something simple along the lines of 'I recently applied... hope to gain an interview... thank you for taking your time to read this... blah blah' can help as well.

So I did that for a while. I sent an email right after applying. I got one interview, not even sure if it had anything to do with the email. Outside of that I never heard anything or if I did I was asked if I applied on the website or was told I didn't have the experience. Extremely frustrating.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
So I did that for a while. I sent an email right after applying. I got one interview, not even sure if it had anything to do with the email. Outside of that I never heard anything or if I did I was asked if I applied on the website or was told I didn't have the experience. Extremely frustrating.
Man, that just sucks. Sorry. You gotta keep plugging along - works out eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad