OT: Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Conducting interviews sucks almost as much as going on interviews. Almost everybody, even those who give near perfect interviews, think they bombed. While HR tasks are only a small part of my job, I've found a lot more weaknesses in candidates references than their interviews.

Reactions: Ori

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Conducting interviews sucks almost as much as going on interviews. Almost everybody, even those who give near perfect interviews, think they bombed. While HR tasks are only a small part of my job, I've found a lot more weaknesses in candidates references than their interviews.

References? Really? Isn't that usually people that say good things about you?

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
References? Really? Isn't that usually people that say good things about you?

It should be lol. But too often the reference obviously has no clue who they’re talking about, the candidate didn’t alert the reference that they may be getting a call, or the reference isn’t appropriate for the job being applied for. I’ve interviewed and checked references for about ten candidates, so my experiences may not be typical.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So both, career thread and hockey board relevant. Part of my presentation is to talk about my favorite brand. At first I was going to do Nike and then realized how boring and cliche that was, so I decided to do Gritty. I know he's the Flyers mascot but he's pretty awesome!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Everyone seems to have disappeared from this thread. I thought I did really well in my interview now it's up to them.

BTW, I closed my browser and reopened it and the job posting now said that the status was changed and not on the career page. This happened after my interview. I thought it was weird but then again I didn't refresh it before so maybe that's been the case for a while. But is that weird, is that a good sign? A bad sign? Am I reading too much into it?

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Everyone seems to have disappeared from this thread. I thought I did really well in my interview now it's up to them.

BTW, I closed my browser and reopened it and the job posting now said that the status was changed and not on the career page. This happened after my interview. I thought it was weird but then again I didn't refresh it before so maybe that's been the case for a while. But is that weird, is that a good sign? A bad sign? Am I reading too much into it?
You’re reading too far into it. Usually the HR person controlling that isn’t the one you interviewed with. I’ve had Goldman Sachs website say they were interested in me a couple times then when my resume gets moved to someone in the field I’d get rejected.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You’re reading too far into it. Usually the HR person controlling that isn’t the one you interviewed with. I’ve had Goldman Sachs website say they were interested in me a couple times then when my resume gets moved to someone in the field I’d get rejected.

Thanks. The HR lady said that she'll get back to me by the end of the week with a status update. So if she keeps her promise (whether good news or bad) at least I won't have to suffer too long. Last time she said she'll get back to me by Wednesday (or maybe even said Wednesday) and I get an email on Tuesday.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just network.

Basically everything else is bull****.

I feel like the type of networking where you have a friend vouch for you works. The type of networking where you go to an event with a bunch of strangers and then act fake for a couple of hours hoping something comes out of it is bullshit. Though I am kind of doing that tomorrow.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
My wife may be on the cusp of a tremendous job opportunity in Los Angeles. I'm so excited for her. The challenge for us would be what happens with my career. California is the rare state attorneys cannot waive into -- they have to pass the state bar exam regardless of their standing in other jurisdictions and that process can take months. Also, my firm does not have a California office. I could go in-house but I'm on partner track here and weary of giving that up "too soon." We've of course talked through this and the different possibilities. At the end of the day, we both trust my ability to eventually find something in California that will make me happy. And she has given up a lot to stay in the States so this is the least I could do for her. I suppose the biggest challenge is navigating my disdain for uncertainty.

Of course, all this would be moot if they blow her out of the water with an insane offer, or make her no offer at all.

Reactions: Ori

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Reading way too far into it.

Even if they potentially said we have our person for this job, they still have to hire them. Pass any backgrounds, agree to salary, etc. if anything there is a lag on pulling these jobs down.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My wife may be on the cusp of a tremendous job opportunity in Los Angeles. I'm so excited for her. The challenge for us would be what happens with my career. California is the rare state attorneys cannot waive into -- they have to pass the state bar exam regardless of their standing in other jurisdictions and that process can take months. Also, my firm does not have a California office. I could go in-house but I'm on partner track here and weary of giving that up "too soon." We've of course talked through this and the different possibilities. At the end of the day, we both trust my ability to eventually find something in California that will make me happy. And she has given up a lot to stay in the States so this is the least I could do for her. I suppose the biggest challenge is navigating my disdain for uncertainty.

Of course, all this would be moot if they blow her out of the water with an insane offer, or make her no offer at all.

I feel you man. Uncertainty sucks. I was proud that I risked a lot to get my MBA. In the end it was a great life experience and I made a bunch of new friends, but it hasn't bared fruit career-wise. And I've been dwelling in uncertainty since 2014. But think about the fact that you clearly have a great job and it sounds like this job for your wife is great as well.

Reactions: Crease

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Reading way too far into it.

Even if they potentially said we have our person for this job, they still have to hire them. Pass any backgrounds, agree to salary, etc. if anything there is a lag on pulling these jobs down.

Yeah, that's why it's weird. Why would they take it down before the whole process goes through. I just don't understand why they pulled it down then.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

I understand the uncertainty, but would y'all even WANT to live in California?

I couldn't even begin to think about living there, just on cost of living alone. Not to mention, the state is the antithesis of almost all my thinking.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You know where I work and I couldn't begin to start with how screwed up we are.

We had close to 20 million dollars worth of equipment coming in for a project but because the higher ups were too nervous about waiting for it all to arrive in December we were getting it piece by piece for months. We could have sent it to a warehouse, but no, it had to go to 4 utilities. We were looking for missing equipment for months.

Reactions: NCRanger

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
We had close to 20 million dollars worth of equipment coming in for a project but because the higher ups were too nervous about waiting for it all to arrive in December we were getting it piece by piece for months. We could have sent it to a warehouse, but no, it had to go to 4 utilities. We were looking for missing equipment for months.

Sounds like you worked for the government.

I can give you one thing without going into too much detail. I was working on a data "correction" project. In order to "correct" some null data, some "manager" made the decision to default address fields. I immediately raised my hand and voice - NO, YOU CANNOT DO THAT. Basically, the old two wrongs don't make a right thing. Well, I was overruled and was told never to question things like that ever again (even though all the corporate BS nonsense training says to raise your hand immediately, and my job is like, ensuring the data is correct...). Anyway, I read a few months ago in the Wall Street Journal that we're getting a big *** fine from the Federal Government for defaulting address data...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I understand the uncertainty, but would y'all even WANT to live in California?

I couldn't even begin to think about living there, just on cost of living alone. Not to mention, the state is the antithesis of almost all my thinking.

NYC is beginning to eat my soul so I'm open to change. Not worried about cost of living, as we're currently in Manhattan. I'd have to re-learn patience though.

Reactions: Ori and NCRanger

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like you worked for the government.

I can give you one thing without going into too much detail. I was working on a data "correction" project. In order to "correct" some null data, some "manager" made the decision to default address fields. I immediately raised my hand and voice - NO, YOU CANNOT DO THAT. Basically, the old two wrongs don't make a right thing. Well, I was overruled and was told never to question things like that ever again (even though all the corporate BS nonsense training says to raise your hand immediately, and my job is like, ensuring the data is correct...). Anyway, I read a few months ago in the Wall Street Journal that we're getting a big *** fine from the Federal Government for defaulting address data...

Haha, that's strange often these companies are very risk averse. Also, close enough I worked for a utility company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad