OT: Career advice Part II

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
It's funny I got an email about Alteryx today and I've never heard of it before. We're very basic, our BI is just excel. I know how to use Tableau, not the other two. I don't even know if what I do is really BI, but that's what we call it. I guess I differentiate the finance stuff that deals with modeling out budgets and the like and every other example of number crunching which is more BI.
Yeah I heard about it from my previous manager here who is part of a project to expose our database to the business users in Alteryx. Last November I was at a conference and Alteryx had a booth there where I saw it in action, and it's pretty great. Finally the business users I make apps for can now start creating these reports themselves while I can focus on other things.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I heard about it from my previous manager here who is part of a project to expose our database to the business users in Alteryx. Last November I was at a conference and Alteryx had a booth there where I saw it in action, and it's pretty great. Finally the business users I make apps for can now start creating these reports themselves while I can focus on other things.

I just ignored the email. I mean I doubt anyone will sign up anyway.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I just ignored the email. I mean I doubt anyone will sign up anyway.
Alteryx's main use is to replace excel for BI, so you should definitely look into it. It will centralize the location of everyone's custom logic, so that you won't have that common issue of one person leaving and trying to figure out how someone's macro works.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Alteryx's main use is to replace excel for BI, so you should definitely look into it. It will centralize the location of everyone's custom logic, so that you won't have that common issue of one person leaving and trying to figure out how someone's macro works.

Last time I shared something with the head of IT he took great pleasure in telling me that he put it in his trash, haha.

Reactions: Kane One

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I shared it with my boss. We'll see. And no, but I figure I need IT's approval.
Is there a developer there you're friendly with? Propose it to him/her. Say something like "If we access the databases ourselves, you won't have to create all these reports for us." Or something like that and let them propose it to the head of IT.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is there a developer there you're friendly with? Propose it to him/her. Say something like "If we access the databases ourselves, you won't have to create all these reports for us." Or something like that and let them propose it to the head of IT.

Not particularly. Developers don't create reports for me, maybe others. There are other groups that use a tool that I'm not familiar with that pull data for me though.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I was scheduled to move internally in late May to a special project targeting tech modernization (specifically around our cash management operation which is my expertise). It's all been put on hold and up for review due to COVID (it would be a large tech spend). So the move is off.

I'm miserable in my current role, thankfully I have still have a job and I'm really busy, but I worked on securing this move around the holidays into Feb. Had other options but this seemed like the best.

Man did that blow up in my face.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Typically you open them when you want fresh air and close them when it gets cold.
giphy.gif

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I updated my profile on LinkedIn and marked myself as open for recruiters. I'm really not looking to leave until I've been at the job for 3 years (Jan 2022), it's been a year and a half. This is really my first real corporate finance job and I think my resume doesn't look great with a bunch of short stints. Plus I like this job. But it doesn't pay shit. Should I be open to a move if something finds me or should I stick it out the last year and a half?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I don't think that would give you the work experience required so you might essentially be starting over. Long term it depends what you want to do. I'd think a CPA would be more appropriate for an FP&A role. But I don't have either so take it for what it's worth.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think that would give you the work experience required so you might essentially be starting over. Long term it depends what you want to do. I'd think a CPA would be more appropriate for an FP&A role. But I don't have either so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks, I have work experience in the area now. I was wondering if it would boost my credentials.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So I updated my profile on LinkedIn and marked myself as open for recruiters. I'm really not looking to leave until I've been at the job for 3 years (Jan 2022), it's been a year and a half. This is really my first real corporate finance job and I think my resume doesn't look great with a bunch of short stints. Plus I like this job. But it doesn't pay shit. Should I be open to a move if something finds me or should I stick it out the last year and a half?

Absolutely. So long as you have a valid reason for leaving and are leaving on decent terms then it's not an issue, IMO.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Always be open. Always.

However, you have to realize the grass isn't always greener. If you have the opportunity to move, ask yourself a couple of basic questions such as... Which role helps me more in the short term, which helps more in the long term, which do I care about more and if I have 5, 10, 15 year goals which role is more likely to allow me to achieve those goals.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Do you know if your job will pay better elsewhere? Or maybe think about a career switch or a transfer in your company to another role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad