OT: Career advice Part II

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Sadly, I will never have more money than my dad. I’m pretty sure by 33 he had more money in the bank than I’ve earned in my lifetime; I’d probably make more money writing a book about his life than working the rest of mine.
This doesn't sound sad lol

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I haven't done a video call for work yet. Are you expected to be dressed professionally?

It depends on the call in my company. We’ve had 2-3 a day for the past 2+ weeks. If it’s internal like just your team it’s casual. If it’s a presentation or we have clients on the call it’s professional. This was a late Friday call, I knew it would be okay to joke.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I've been logging a lot of OT lately but not getting paid because "it would look awkward with the layoffs. I'm really annoyed.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So I've been logging a lot of OT lately but not getting paid because "it would look awkward with the layoffs. I'm really annoyed.
giphy.gif

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
OT for the majority of salaried positions is a total scam. If you're not getting paid for it you should simply not do it and not rely on promises of them making it up to you later when that is highly uncertain. In the vast majority of salary cases OT is just the company taking advantage of the worker.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm already underpaid. My hope is that I make a good network here and if we don't survive this either my boss or the CFO would hire me if they get to build a team in their next gig.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Yeah, to me that would come across as an implied threat, ala "Do the work of two people, or someone else will do your job when we lay you off..." Happened to my older brother (worked for Merrill Lynch--now BoA). His department just kept shrinking in the aftermath of the 08 recession until it was just him and like three other people doing what had been the work of 35+ employees. He's miserable, but he also has 3 kids, a ton of student loans, and a wife with expensive tastes, so he feels like he can't re-start somewhere else.

TL/DR-- If you have the means and don't have the obligations yet, it could well be worth standing up for yourself now. A company that will exploit a pandemic to screw over their employees will not stop said screwing once the pandemic ends. I know in my field, I fully expect today's misery to be tomorrow's new normal.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, to me that would come across as an implied threat, ala "Do the work of two people, or someone else will do your job when we lay you off..." Happened to my older brother (worked for Merrill Lynch--now BoA). His department just kept shrinking in the aftermath of the 08 recession until it was just him and like three other people doing what had been the work of 35+ employees. He's miserable, but he also has 3 kids, a ton of student loans, and a wife with expensive tastes, so he feels like he can't re-start somewhere else.

TL/DR-- If you have the means and don't have the obligations yet, it could well be worth standing up for yourself now. A company that will exploit a pandemic to screw over their employees will not stop said screwing once the pandemic ends. I know in my field, I fully expect today's misery to be tomorrow's new normal.

Thanks, I just don't want to burn bridges for the future. I'd like to get some experience in this industry/function before I rock the boat and it would be nice if the company doesn't survive if either my boss or the CFO would hire me if they're starting a team elsewhere. Maybe I'm naive?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Thanks, I just don't want to burn bridges for the future. I'd like to get some experience in this industry/function before I rock the boat and it would be nice if the company doesn't survive if either my boss or the CFO would hire me if they're starting a team elsewhere. Maybe I'm naive?

Not necessarily. It totally depends on where such policies are coming from. If your boss and the CFO are implementing policies handed down by the CEO, then I can see those as people to keep on your side. If these policies are coming from them? I would push back a bit. I'm also not a corporate-minded person, though. My brother does finance and retirement stuff. I'm a Shakespeare scholar. I'm pretty sure at least one of us was delivered to the wrong room at the hospital, haha.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not necessarily. It totally depends on where such policies are coming from. If your boss and the CFO are implementing policies handed down by the CEO, then I can see those as people to keep on your side. If these policies are coming from them? I would push back a bit. I'm also not a corporate-minded person, though. My brother does finance and retirement stuff. I'm a Shakespeare scholar. I'm pretty sure at least one of us was delivered to the wrong room at the hospital, haha.

My boss wants me to get OT but we need the CFO's approval. The CFO was the one that said it would be "awkward". Yesterday when I asked me boss if I'll have to work the weekend again, he said it's not up to him. He said "if it were up to me you'd be working but getting paid. I didn't appreciate that".

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

I feel for you. With salaried OT, there's a fine line between becoming a hero and being taken advantage of. I understand the compulsion early on in a role to work extra to establish yourself as reliable and committed. There's value in that. But eventually you have to set boundaries and reasonable expectations, or you risk being taken advantage of. It's not always nefarious either--it can be that your boss simply wants (not needs) something on his desk Monday morning and knows you're willing to work weekends no questions asked so he comes to you with the request. And saying yes does not guarantee anything. I've worked with associates who are first in, last out, and log in on the weekends but will never make partner, because they're focused on grinding out work and not other things that will get help them ahead, like building relationships, being a leader, and advocating for themselves. You're right to feel annoyed.

Here is what has worked for me: grind it out early on and establish yourself as someone who does quality work and cares. Once you've built up goodwill, begin setting boundaries. "I am spending the evening with my wife/family. Is this urgent or can we discuss tomorrow?" "I will be out of pocket this weekend. Can we catch up when I'm back?" Be an adult about it and trust that your bosses are sensible people too. If they are not, you should be looking for a raise or another job.

Last edited:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Does anyone know much about Arkansas? I'm working through some job anxiety at the moment. On the positive side, I was recently offered a tenure track faculty position. For those not familiar with academia, those positions have been vanishing at an exponential rate. There were ~30 positions (worldwide) in my field, and in any given year, there are 200-300 people applying for them, including folks who are already IN tenure-track gigs who are looking to jump to a better position/area/school/etc. On top of that, my job offer came in literally hours before the academic job market started shutting down due to the virus. If the interview had been a week later, they likely would have just canceled the search (hundreds of searches were canceled in the last month, including another one I was in the running for that wasn't as far along in their process). That, combined with the fact that some schools are starting to shut down permanently (see Vermont) and the fact that nobody expects there to even BE a job market next year, makes me very happy that I received this offer when I did.

I am legitimately excited about this opportunity, but I'm also freaking out a little bit. I've lived in the Northeast my entire life (NY, PA, MD, and back to NY). I've seen stories of neo-Nazis marching in the streets of Arkansas as recently as last summer. I'm white, but I'm also gay (and Nazis weren't overly fond of my people either). I can't turn down this opportunity, as it is literally a choice between the entry job in my very difficult to crack field or switching gears to another field altogether. I'm hedging my bets a little bit by renting out my condo in NY (so if I end up being truly miserable, I have an escape hatch).

I guess what I'm asking is: has anyone else ever re-located to the deep South after living in the NE your entire life? Am I over-reacting w/the anxiety? Any tips for how to adjust to life in that area/make social connections?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone know much about Arkansas? I'm working through some job anxiety at the moment. On the positive side, I was recently offered a tenure track faculty position. For those not familiar with academia, those positions have been vanishing at an exponential rate. There were ~30 positions (worldwide) in my field, and in any given year, there are 200-300 people applying for them, including folks who are already IN tenure-track gigs who are looking to jump to a better position/area/school/etc. On top of that, my job offer came in literally hours before the academic job market started shutting down due to the virus. If the interview had been a week later, they likely would have just canceled the search (hundreds of searches were canceled in the last month, including another one I was in the running for that wasn't as far along in their process). That, combined with the fact that some schools are starting to shut down permanently (see Vermont) and the fact that nobody expects there to even BE a job market next year, makes me very happy that I received this offer when I did.

I am legitimately excited about this opportunity, but I'm also freaking out a little bit. I've lived in the Northeast my entire life (NY, PA, MD, and back to NY). I've seen stories of neo-Nazis marching in the streets of Arkansas as recently as last summer. I'm white, but I'm also gay (and Nazis weren't overly fond of my people either). I can't turn down this opportunity, as it is literally a choice between the entry job in my very difficult to crack field or switching gears to another field altogether. I'm hedging my bets a little bit by renting out my condo in NY (so if I end up being truly miserable, I have an escape hatch).

I guess what I'm asking is: has anyone else ever re-located to the deep South after living in the NE your entire life? Am I over-reacting w/the anxiety? Any tips for how to adjust to life in that area/make social connections?

I don't know where in Arkansas this is but college towns tend to be more on the liberal side. Plus, the media has blown this Neo-Nazi shit out of proportion. Not that it doesn't exist but listening to the media you'd think they're on every street corner.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

Arkansas is great. The media over blows everything. Arkansas is diverse, just like anywhere, and there’s a lot of great towns and people in the state. In general, people just want to get along and it’s 2020. Homosexuality is a non-issue for the vast majority of the populace everywhere. Yes, there are backwoods people with backwards ideas. Those people exist in NYC (though they’re vastly outnumbered) and they exist in upstate NY and Vermont and NH, etc. I was stationed in TX near Arkansas for years, went to Little Rock dozens of times for training or other reasons, and the reality is the same as it is anywhere. Most people are honestly friendlier than they are here in the northeast. As with anywhere, there’s racists or bigots or just overall jackasses. The military moved me around quite a bit and the biggest take away was that wherever you live is what you make of it. If you have a good opportunity, be excited. Honestly, you won’t experience any more, or less, positive/negative people than you already do.

As for life in the area? Follow your interests. As with anywhere, you’ll meet more like minded people following your heart. Find a good watering hole. Establishments down there tend to have more of a community vibe and they’ll take good care of you and make you feel welcome quickly if you’re a good customer. And people are more social down there; more strangers will start chats, about just about anything, and you’ll meet plenty of sweet, kind hearted people just by being open. People appreciate trustworthiness and genuine kindness more than they care about race or sexual orientation. They expect a level of graciousness and a little less of that NY “chip on the shoulder” down there. Be warm and inviting, old fashioned manners go a long way.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's probably true that a higher percentage of people have unpopular views about homosexuality. But most people that have unpopular views don't actually act on them.

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013

Definitely take the position. As you say and know, tenure track positions are becoming a rarity as schools move to part time teachers. So it sounds like a no-brainer.

Accepting a position in a far flung place isn’t that bad either. Obviously it isn’t ideal but university towns are generally more accepting and liberal. Look at places like Austin, TX and Athens, GA. One other consideration is you don’t necessarily have to spend all your time there. Many academics live between locations and juggle traveling with teaching responsibilities. For example, the noted paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould was a professor at Harvard but resided in NYC. If you do eventually get tenure you can stack your courses into a semester and spend the majority of the year elsewhere. Obviously that type of traveling occurred in more normal times and my assumption is we will return to that level of freedom of movement.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Definitely take the position. As you say and know, tenure track positions are becoming a rarity as schools move to part time teachers. So it sounds like a no-brainer.

Accepting a position in a far flung place isn’t that bad either. Obviously it isn’t ideal but university towns are generally more accepting and liberal. Look at places like Austin, TX and Athens, GA. One other consideration is you don’t necessarily have to spend all your time there. Many academics live between locations and juggle traveling with teaching responsibilities. For example, the noted paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould was a professor at Harvard but resided in NYC. If you do eventually get tenure you can stack your courses into a semester and spend the majority of the year elsewhere. Obviously that type of traveling occurred in more normal times and my assumption is we will return to that level of freedom of movement.

Thanks all. I've already accepted the position, and I am legitimately excited about it. I'm mainly just processing through the anxiety of the change (now that it's "real" haha). I've also been looking into the commute option. The school itself is in a pretty rural area, but there are more urban areas within a ~45 minute commute. Would probably live in the town the first year while getting my bearings and then move to someplace where there would be a longer commute but a better work/life balance.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So there's now an official OT freeze. My boss asked me not to log more than 40 hours in the timecards. But he suggested to record OT that I do work in a spreadsheet.

There's a team that I worked closely with that did BS work. So they made sure they don't log more than 40 hours. So they'd sometimes leave at like 2 on a Friday to make sure that happens. I don't foresee this since I'm actually working on an important project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad