OT: Career advice Part II

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So Apple has decided to attempt to destroy me. They suspended my AppleID for "spam".

In my line of work, I text leads (which I have bought). These leads are not cold. These people have responded to solicitations and have agreed to getting called or texted.

I guess people complained about getting texts that they agreed to receive because Apple flagged my account. Apple doesn't seem to care that I have done no wrong.

And because I had consolidated all of my email into one account, I do not have an additional active email account to get a new AppleID. If I were to create another email, I have to wait 30 days to use it as an AppleID.

So my phone, while I can still call and text, I cannot use iMessage, and I cannot download any apps.

I'm going to have to get an Android phone that I cannot afford just to be able to try to run my business.

• Wow
Reactions: Machinehead

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have an "only child; wait till dad croaks" portfolio.
Just hope mom doesn't die. Dad starts with early dementia. Gets a golddigger "girlfriend" who robs him blind for over a million dollars. When she realizes he's too far gone, she leaves him. We find out he's a couple hundred grand in debt. Sell the house, put him in a facility. Pay for it with what's left after the debt gets handled through a lawyer. Social Security is used to pay for the facility. He dies 6 years later. I inherit an acoustic guitar.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just hope mom doesn't die. Dad starts with early dementia. Gets a golddigger "girlfriend" who robs him blind for over a million dollars. When she realizes he's too far gone, she leaves him. We find out he's a couple hundred grand in debt. Sell the house, put him in a facility. Pay for it with what's left after the debt gets handled through a lawyer. Social Security is used to pay for the facility. He dies 6 years later. I inherit an acoustic guitar.
She's already dead and he's not interested. Plus, we've already got the paperwork.

Reactions: NCRanger

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is terrible.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
My therapist referred me to another therapist and I might work with that one on this. I think I had two jobs where I thought I was hot shit and everywhere else I just thought I was shit. Never in between.
That may be true or may be in your head.

Regardless, in my opinion, when it comes to work stuff you should always be asking yourself 3 questions: (1) Am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing? (2) Is how I'm doing it providing a material impact on the business? (3) What is my value proposition to the company / what am I providing that is unique or differentiated? If you have positive responses to those Qs you will thrive.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I have no idea what any of these words mean.
What would you say is your financial literacy / experience? I’d like to help where I can, but please do note that I am not a financial advisor.

My goodness. I think my eyes popped out of their sockets reading this. I’m so sorry to hear that, friend. Some people are just evil.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm generally seen as smart by my peers and a lot of my peers are the same people I mentioned here with the fancy jobs. But every now and then I wonder if I'm not smart enough for corporate America period.
Im sure you are as smart as they are but you may not have found a way to process or organize some things as well. You can get there.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm generally seen as smart by my peers and a lot of my peers are the same people I mentioned here with the fancy jobs. But every now and then I wonder if I'm not smart enough for corporate America period.
I say this with the utmost respect, care and I want you to know it is coming from a place of honesty and I hope that it helps you improve. You are a SMART person. Very smart. However, you have a deficiency in what is known as emotional intelligence. We have all seen it over the years, your tendency to go off the deep end after one bad game by the Rangers/Henrik/Igor/etc.

Those who advance in their careers often demonstrate poise and an ability to avoid overreactions. They are able to reign in their emotions and not succumb to the immediate desire to lash out. Back when I was an HR Manager, the Head of HR had her entire team read this book. There are other wonderful books that are more recent, but this one impacted me the most. If you don't want to read, there is an audio version.

You clearly possess the required IQ to advance and have a successful career. But, as someone who has interacted with you regularly over the last decade-plus, your EI is what will hold you back in my opinion. The good news is EI can be developed and learned!!!

Reactions: kovazub94

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I say this with the utmost respect, care and I want you to know it is coming from a place of honesty and I hope that it helps you improve. You are a SMART person. Very smart. However, you have a deficiency in what is known as emotional intelligence. We have all seen it over the years, your tendency to go off the deep end after one bad game by the Rangers/Henrik/Igor/etc.

Those who advance in their careers often demonstrate poise and an ability to avoid overreactions. They are able to reign in their emotions and not succumb to the immediate desire to lash out. Back when I was an HR Manager, the Head of HR had her entire team read this book. There are other wonderful books that are more recent, but this one impacted me the most. If you don't want to read, there is an audio version.

You clearly possess the required IQ to advance and have a successful career. But, as someone who has interacted with you regularly over the last decade-plus, your EI is what will hold you back in my opinion. The good news is EI can be developed and learned!!!

Well, I think it's related to anxiety that I have. And that's one of my issues. It kind of spills over into lots of different areas of work.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I am not a financial advisor. I've been doing a lot of research and have been doing very well in the markets. I'm just gonna share what I have for possible ideas for you guys.

MSFT
MICROSOFT CORP

IVV
ISHARES CORE S&P 500 ETF

DFAU
DIMENSIONAL US CORE EQUITY

DFAC
DIMENSIONAL U S CORE EQUITY

ITOT
ISHARES CORE S&P TOTAL US S

GLD
SPDR GOLD SHARES ETF