GDT: cardet

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I know we look at him as a future coach, and possibly an assistant on Roddy's staff, but what about announcing? I can easily see JW becoming a key guy for NBC -- at least on par with Patrick Sharp (although obviously, a less *hot* version).
He could do that, sure. But there were a lot of little bits of that interview that demonstrate how he'd be a really good coach too. Talking about when you're in the slot, you can't think, you're just trying to get it on net- great thing to beat into the heads of players. The attention he paid not just to Geekie's release, but how he's not saying much in the dressing room yet and how he needs to get a better sense of his personality, with the implication being that he's trying to find a way to get Geekie integrated into the group socially, not just as a player. Actively thinking about how to get Svech to just relax and let his talent take over. That's how you manage people. He'd make a stellar manager in any field. He's the boss you run through walls for no matter how boring the job.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I know we look at him as a future coach, and possibly an assistant on Roddy's staff, but what about announcing? I can easily see JW becoming a key guy for NBC -- at least on par with Patrick Sharp (although obviously, a less *hot* version).

If ugly dumb ass Roenick can stick around as long as he did, Williams would be totally fine.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Was wondering about all the empty seats. I know the team is dreadful but wasn’t there like a decade long waiting list for season tickets not that long ago? Are the seats sold and people just aren’t going to watch that crap?

I'm pretty sure there was, and thats even with a bad economy and people fleeing Michigan.

They were always one of my least favorite visiting fans in the 00's.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Depends on the target audience, I suppose.. but I wouldn't say less hot..easy on the eyes with intelligence and a sense of humor..he's hotter than the Ken doll to me.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You can protect 7 forwards 3 defenseman in the expansion draft or 8 players right?

You sign dougie and you're most likely losing him or Skeij:(
This is why you give up a pick to Seattle and say "you're getting a good player either way here, you agree to take (insert dman we can afford to lose) you get a good pick as well".

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Fleury's progression looks pretty typical to me. Expectations were probably too high for him early on. He was also tossed between the NHL and AHL for a long time. A lot of traveling back and forth. That's not easy to do, but he's still here and now he's getting sustained minutes and looks good. Not all that surprising.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He made about 5 plays that were Slavin-like tonight, taking the body and the puck at the same time, and turning the play around going the other way so fast you could see the forward's head spinning, like "what the **** just happened?"

You gotta find a way to keep a homegrown player like this, if it means sending Skjei or Gardiner on down the road that's fine.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Fleury's progression looks pretty typical to me. Expectations were probably too high for him early on. He was also tossed between the NHL and AHL for along time. A lot of traveling back and forth. That's not easy to do, but he's still here and now that he's getting sustained minutes and looks good. Not all that surprising.
Yep, he's on a pretty typical development path for a top 4 guy. Probably should have been in the league full season last year if not for our depth on D but the league's been spoiled by having guys ready to just step in as studs when they're not even legal to drink yet recently: Dahlin, Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Werenski. It feels like a guy that's on a pretty normal development path seems to be stagnating by comparison. Fleury will probably never be a top pair guy. He can be a Cal de Haan type #3 with more offense which is always useful to have around.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
You can protect 7 forwards 3 defenseman in the expansion draft or 8 players right?

You sign dougie and you're most likely losing him or Skeij:(

We'll see what they do in the off-season first. We have 4 potential Top4 LD and Forsling and Bean in the minors. I am pretty sure they won't keep all of them until the expansion draft.
Also who knows, maybe Nino or Trochek have a crazy season next year and Seattle ends up picking one of them.

Reactions: Tryamw

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Hadyn Fleury. Yes, that’s what you do when someone touches your goalie.

Fabbri horse-collared Fleury going around him at the blue line. Hadyn caught the number and went after him. I think Fabbri hitting Petr just made Fleury's decision easier, but he was coming in guns blazing even before Mrazek got hit.

I'm happy for the guy. He's clearly earning some trust. I still think he's crap with the puck, but he's learning how to work around that. Plus, I'm not sure we have *anyone* right now who can make a clean zone exit, so I'm not sure why I'd continue to pick on Fleury.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu

current mood update:

hurricanes vincent trocheck first goal with aho celebration.png

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
He made about 5 plays that were Slavin-like tonight, taking the body and the puck at the same time, and turning the play around going the other way so fast you could see the forward's head spinning, like "what the **** just happened?"

You gotta find a way to keep a homegrown player like this, if it means sending Skjei or Gardiner on down the road that's fine.

I gotta agree with this. There were a couple of plays where I was like damn Slavin dog walking mfs tonight. Then I saw it was Fleury and I was like good shit my man. Then he was ready to throw hands on old boy when he hit Mrazek and I was like who is this and can we keep him?

Speaking of people I wanna keep, Geekie is a man (is he grown? brb hockey db. 21? GTFO) possessed. He's the element that we've needed. Someone who will get in front of the net and pay the price but also can find the back of the net. His forechecking was phenomenal as well. Keep it up kid. Man. Whatever.

Remember Lucas Wallmark? Duh-ha, duh-ha
You never thought that Morgan G would take it this far
Now he in the limelight 'cause he score tight
Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade
Born sinner, the opposite of a winner
Remember when he used to eat Taco Bell for dinner
Peace to Dave G, Ryan B, Blake Winiecki
Kamerin Nault, Oliwer Kaski
He blowin' up like you thought he would
Call the crib, same number, same hood
It's all good (It's all good)
And if you don't know, now you know