Carabao (EFL) Cup 18/19

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Lolpool. The mighty Arsenal get through playing their C- team and Pool can't beat just one good player in Hazard's Chelsea.

But Arse couldn't even keep a clean sheet against who-the-f***-is-Brentford

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Take that Watford!

Your B team couldn't even beat our A and a half team in shoot-outs, pathetic.

I am not sure whether to be happy, relived, pissed, disappointed or all 4.

This Cup sure brings out odd emotions when you really aren't sure how much you actually want to win these games. Oh well I guess winning should always be better than losing but considering the squads each team put out this seems like a loss as much as win that it took PKs to move on.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe I’m blind, but why have the lines? It doesn’t matter but it did look offside
The ref was brutal in general. Missed at least one clear pen, maybe two, let Chelsea get away with a lot. But it's fine it was a good game but the extra fixtures while chasing the league/CL might have been a bit much.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
A trophy is a trophy, but Liverpool should have their sights on the EPL, CL and FA in that order.

Frailty of some of the backups is a concern, but none of the defensive starters or keeper played a minute.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Where's the guy who said Hazard shouldn't carry the ball and try to dribble 2 opponents or he'd lose the ball?
That was literaly this week.

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I’m not sure one should plan a parade after he made Moreno look bad.

It was a pretty goal, but also horrid defending from Liverpool
Plan a parade?
Moreno?

Are we talking in the same galaxy?
Nobody said a parade should be planned.
And nobody saw that only Moreno was beaten.

:facepalm:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Didnt watch a second of the game. Dont care that they are out of the participation trophy cup.

Heard the ref was bad. That's all I've got.

Onto the weekend

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The ref was bad. So were Matip and Morono. Morono makes two mistakes on the last goal, Matip's bad on the first.

Two guys who will probably hardly play as well. We can move on.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Where's the guy who said Hazard shouldn't carry the ball and try to dribble 2 opponents or he'd lose the ball?

That's exactly what I was thinking about while watching him do it too, except I was also like, this smells like a goal

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I'm still here and I'm still saying the same thing.
For reference point, I wasn't even talking about his play in the "last mile" of the pitch, I was talking about him dropping deep then taking 5 seconds on the ball every time.

My actual quote was:

That has nothing to do with him coming down the pitch between the three midfielders who all have one or two touches on the ball, then dragging the ball around for 5 seconds every time he gets it.

But even in that "last mile", yes, hanging on to the ball for ages every time makes you predictable and isn't usually the optimal play.
One goal doesn't change that.

Anyway, Lovren is back, and had a decent game by all accounts. Hooray.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Just saw the first half highlights.

Wow, Caballero made four top class saves before Liverpool broke through. First on Keita, then on Mane's header, then on Sturridge when he was through on goal to at least force the initial attempt away and him into the off balance miss, and then the one where he got his leg to it. Probably his best game in years.

I'm not a Morata fan by any means, and in the second half when I actually watched I thought he was f***ing dreadful but highlights wise he got himself into position to score a handful of times which is nice to see.

At the end of the day, it's a whatever trophy. We do have a few useless plugs and prospects that need an occasional game so having the cup will be nice.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Fabinho looks shaky still...he's not really doing anything so far to make his way into the team. At this point he should be 5th choice so I hope that he can adapt.

I would be fine if Moreno never played for us again. Seems like a great lad but terribly lacking in football intelligence. Matip is pretty meh also. Happy Lovren is back though he seemed pretty solid for his first game.

Hazard certainly has his moments of brilliance. Impeccable talent.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

A new player with perhaps his first start acquiesces to the wishes of the captain who is on the warpath, so Klopp yells at the former? Hope he gave the latter a talking to at least as well, drawing conclusions from some random photo is always a bit tricky

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It amazes me the gymnastics people will do to downplay Eden Hazard. That was an absolutely stellar goal, and I don't think there's a single doubt that he's been the best player in the Premier League by a fair margin so far this year.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Only 20 minutes in and Derby have put the ball into the net 3 times at Chelsea............ only problem is 2 of them have been into their own net, opps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad