CAR vs SJ - Legendary Corsi Battle on Friday

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I think they thought he was milking it to get a stoppage, considering the onslaught of shots he was facing.

They may also have been booing because they thought Foegele was getting a penalty for what was pretty obviously an incidental contact.
stick contact with the head is a penalty even if it is incidental

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina is a hell of a team, but their (in-building) fans can **** right off for booing Dell after he was injured. I want to root for Carolina, but after that, **** them.

Hockey is a fast sport. Dell went down without any body contact. The refs blew the play dead with the Canes having possession and in a position to score. Any crowd will boo in that situation. Once they showed the replay that allowed the fans to see what happened, the booing stopped.

If you want to hate on Carolina fans, find something other than this nothingburger.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It's hard for me to buy the whole end of the road trip stuff in this case. Their last game at home was Saturday, they played in Nashville on Tuesday, and in Carolina on Friday. There's enough time in between to not be gassed by the travel involved there. They came out strong in the first and controlled play there. I think they just had too many stupid mistakes because of Carolina's pressure and let the momentum get away from them and they couldn't recover. It's going to happen sometimes during the season but I don't attribute this particular one to the travels. This happened because the Canes are relentless and the Sharks weren't crisp when they need to be to counter that they aren't the fastest team in the league.
They were gassed.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Correlation between corsi and winning is an unproven theory.

Two last cup champs were terrible corsi-teams by choice, not because they had terrible support crew for their superstar-power.

Trotz said it himself last year. Their advanced stats looked terribad because their gameplan was opposite of what the advanced stats were for. Caps chose to take less shots, and had no problem giving in puck control and "low-danger" shots for the opponent.

Hockey is always evolving and Caps and Pens decided to give the corsi and puck control away and concentrate on 'fast' trap/counter strategy. It worked. Now someone needs to outwork that one.

That being said, is it friday yet? Cant wait to see the 'El Corsico'!! It should be a good game between two hot teams.

Idk what is worse, this post or the fact that multiple people liked it
Your first sentence is just wrong, and you clearly don't have a strong understanding of what correlation is based on your reasoning for claiming the first sentence

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Idk what is worse, this post or the fact that multiple people liked it
Your first sentence is just wrong, and you clearly don't have a strong understanding of what correlation is based on your reasoning for claiming the first sentence

I dont know which one is worse, quoting a post without reading forward to see that it has already been discussed, or not making a point at all and just being rude.

But thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Thanks to winning the Corsi Bowl, the Carolina Hurricanes now hold the top 8 spots in Corsi Differential.

Who in the world is Warren Foegele?

Fast 22yo 6'2" rookie. 28 goals including 4 shorties in 73 games in the AHL last year (where he wasn't really used on the PP). The kid creates opportunities out of nothing. My bold prediction is that down the road Foegele proves to be even more valuable to the Canes than Teravainen, and that's not a negative reflection on Turbo.

An excerpt from the following article: From invisible to indispensable: The story of Warren Foegele
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Carolina Hurricanes left winger has been labeled a moose by linemate Jordan Staal; a horse by eclectic broadcaster Tripp Tracy; and a dog by, well, just about everybody who has watched him closely over the years.

"He’s like a dog on a bone," said Jeff McKercher, a former scout for the OHL’s Kingston Frontenacs.

"He’s a guy who dogs the puck," added David Manning, hockey coach at St. Andrew’s College. "The engine that never stops."

Moose, horse, dog - yes, these are compliments in hockey’s vernacular, words reserved for the havoc-creating skaters, the space-gulping forecheckers, and the stress-inducing penalty killers. And they all suit Foegele perfectly.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
I dont know which one is worse, quoting a post without reading forward to see that it has already been discussed, or not making a point at all and just being rude.

But thanks for the insight.
Frankly, it's quite annoying seeing people who know nothing about statistics critque said stat. I read your other posts. Nothing you said has anything to do with the correlation being True or not
Accounting for other varaibale does not show the correlation is false
Showing specific examples does not show correlation is false

Look at any thread on this board talking about correlation, and you will see people doing the above

Last edited:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Frankly, it's quite annoying seeing people who know nothing about statistics critque said stat. I read your other posts. Nothing you said has anything to do with the correlation being True or not
Accounting for other varaibale does not show the correlation is false
Showing specific examples does not show correlation is false
Is that better for you?
Look at any thread on this board talking about correlation, and you will see people doing the above

Atleast you bothered to make a point this time and not just bully. like i said before i dont have a strong opinion of corsi whatsoever. But ill give you some disussion as you seem like you are looking for one :)

You can get annoyed as much as you need to and look down on us idiots, but it doesnt do any good for your case of presenting your great wisdom.

What ive said is that i dont agree how the corsi is demonstrated as it counts all shots and attempts equal and that to me doesnt make sense.

I just dont see a 56% take of a small sample size of 165 series and calling other variables irrelevant enough to call it a day. Instead of telling me i dont understand what correlation means, you can bring your fancy data from the ”other topics” and prove me wrong.

Showing examples was just for the discussion and i completely know they dont make the correlation false. As well as counter examples do not make it anymore true.

Edit. Just to be clear, if we are talking correlation in literal way, then of course yes, corsi has a correlation on winning and losing as much as any other statline too - like faceoffs% and delivered hits etc. As i understand ”correlation” in this context means ”propability” to win.

Last edited:

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Atleast you bothered to make a point this time and not just bully. like i said before i dont have a strong opinion of corsi whatsoever. But ill give you some disussion as you seem like you are looking for one :)

You can get annoyed as much as you need to and look down on us idiots, but it doesnt do any good for your case of presenting your great wisdom.

What ive said is that i dont agree how the corsi is demonstrated as it counts all shots and attempts equal and that to me doesnt make sense.

I just dont see a 56% take of a small sample size of 165 series and calling other variables irrelevant enough to call it a day. Instead of telling me i dont understand what correlation means, you can bring your fancy data from the ”other topics” and prove me wrong.

Showing examples was just for the discussion and i completely know they dont make the correlation false. As well as counter examples do not make it anymore true.

What line is Corsi on?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Maybe this isn't the place for this question, but I am under the impression that the idea is that:

Possession of puck = higher change of winning

And, that, SOG is being used in Corsi as a proxy for puck possession.

Is that correct? If so, then pure Corsi itself is slightly flawed. Not fatally flawed, mind you, but flawed, and leads to the possibility of SOME strong Corsi teams actually not having as much puck possession because they are 'quick to shoot'.

Please fill me in on this....

Second, 94/165 series won by the team with better Corsi may or may not be significant when 94/165 series were also won by the team with more points. You end up asking the question: Is a high Corsi the REASON for winning the series? Or, is there something about being the better team which also leads to a high Corsi, so that you are seeing correlation, not causality? If the second, then the goal of having a high Corsi is perhaps not the correct goal.

For those interested in further development of this idea, please type into your search engine "Feynmann cargo cult science" and read Richard Feynmann's excellent graduation speech to scientists (physicists) about intellectual honesty and how to actually find out what you want to, rather than getting sidetracked.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
It's hard for me to buy the whole end of the road trip stuff in this case. Their last game at home was Saturday, they played in Nashville on Tuesday, and in Carolina on Friday. There's enough time in between to not be gassed by the travel involved there. They came out strong in the first and controlled play there. I think they just had too many stupid mistakes because of Carolina's pressure and let the momentum get away from them and they couldn't recover. It's going to happen sometimes during the season but I don't attribute this particular one to the travels. This happened because the Canes are relentless and the Sharks weren't crisp when they need to be to counter that they aren't the fastest team in the league.

They were gassed.

They were not gassed. They've had too many off days for that to be a legitimate excuse here.

Is it possible that they might have been gassed, not from the road trip, but from racing up and down the ice all night with an even younger team that also likes to fly? Sharks were icing the puck an awfully lot at the end there. Which doesn't take away from your point that the road trip wasn't to blame . . .

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Maybe this isn't the place for this question, but I am under the impression that the idea is that:

Possession of puck = higher change of winning

And, that, SOG is being used in Corsi as a proxy for puck possession.

Is that correct? If so, then pure Corsi itself is slightly flawed. Not fatally flawed, mind you, but flawed, and leads to the possibility of SOME strong Corsi teams actually not having as much puck possession because they are 'quick to shoot'.

Please fill me in on this....

Second, 94/165 series won by the team with better Corsi may or may not be significant when 94/165 series were also won by the team with more points. You end up asking the question: Is a high Corsi the REASON for winning the series? Or, is there something about being the better team which also leads to a high Corsi, so that you are seeing correlation, not causality? If the second, then the goal of having a high Corsi is perhaps not the correct goal.

For those interested in further development of this idea, please type into your search engine "Feynmann cargo cult science" and read Richard Feynmann's excellent graduation speech to scientists (physicists) about intellectual honesty and how to actually find out what you want to, rather than getting sidetracked.
Corsi is all shot attempts, not just shots on goal. Someone may have to correct me on this but I believe some consider shot rates more important than possession, (in terms of predicting wins). It gets most of the attention but there are many other stats available, often used in conjunction like this:

8qk3WkM.png

Hockey is a chaotic sport, and will always be harder to predict than other sports. The nice thing about shot attempts is it provides a huge sample size, and teams are able to repeat it with some consistency,

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad