Confirmed with Link: [CAR/VAN] Canucks acquire D Ethan Bear (18% retained), C Lane Pederson for 5th Round Pick in '23

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
if the canucks wanted bear they could have had him at the trade deadline last year or over the summer at the same price.

You don't think that him sitting every game so far sewered his value?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
TRASH
Every other team was willing to wait for waivers

more picks out the door

A lot of teams actually avoid waiver claims because of the roster requirements it puts on the pickup. Not to mention the extra contract you pick up. Very often the player goes through waivers to then be traded.

Plus there is additional organizational depth in this deal coming back. 2 bodies that will be RFA already at levels that exceed what a 5th round pick would become.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike age gap deals but this is about as innocuous a deal as you can get that actually has some upside.

This isn't Linden Vey for a 2nd for instance.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It’s annoying that we’re already in this position of needing to deal picks to plug short term holes, but you can’t complain about a fifth, and his contract is up after this year, so it’s probably about the best thing we could do.

You know, other than fixing this 3 months ago.

It's interesting because in the offseason I would bet that the price for Bear would have been quite a bit higher, but now that we're almost through a month of the season with a 2.2MM player in the press box bleeding value by the day, you can possibly find yourself a bargain.

But agree that more should have been done to meaningfully overhaul this core in the offseason. Shame we couldn't get in on the Marino deal—he's been really solid for NJD.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The team is garbage and Burroughs is just as capable, if not more, than Bear to play the right.

Christ, Jalen Chatfield beat him out in Carolina.

Yes it’s a 5th, but it’s another pick out the door that likely is on waivers shortly.

So they essentially paid a 5th for retention and get ahead of the que to bring in a guy that won’t make a lick of a difference.

It’s purely spinning their wheels over and over.

Insanity.
i think you're being a tad pessimistic here

jalen chatfield was fantastic in his first season here and the canucks absolutely trashed his development. he looked great for the canes in their game against us. it's not a bad thing to be beaten out for a spot by a guy like that.

it's also worth a shot given how bad our right side is.

Reactions: rypper

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Is this dictated by injuries? Like, are some players gonna be out longer than expected or something?

Cos if not, good god, lmao.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Wonder if Schenn is out as a result here; and they can probably get a pretty big premium for him at the deadline and re-coup all the picks they've given up. Although it'd be much better if they could move Myers. Or maybe both? Not that there are top pairing defensemen available, but I don't understand who the top-7/8 are supposed to be when everyone is healthy?

Hughes
________

OEL
Myers
________

Schenn
________

Dermott
Burroughs
Bear
Rathbone

Poolman
Stillman?
Juulsen??
Brisebois???????

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
So far, Allvin has traded a 2nd, 3rd and now a 5th for really nothing of substance. As someone said (MS?) that we'll see how good or bad Allvin/Clancy (et al) pro-scouting is, and then we can judge.

But I really dislike trading picks for stop-gap bubble level talent. When has it ever worked out.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
From eating popcorn every night to top 4 Dman overnight. Like Botch used to say “life comes at you fast”.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So far, Allvin has traded a 2nd, 3rd and now a 5th for really nothing of substance. As someone said (MS?) that we'll see how good or bad Allvin/Clancy (et al) pro-scouting is, and then we can judge.

But I really dislike trading picks for stop-gap bubble level talent. When has it ever worked out.

See, I don't mind selling high on players like Boeser or Miller for packages involving picks and younger roster players. You can create a surplus and tap into it if there is a sensible hockey deal to made down the line.

Something as measly as a 5th round pick is magnified when you have a bare cupboard and little younger depth on the horizon.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Need more pics not fewer, but you can’t really complain about a fifth rounder price
Anyone know anything about this guy’s speed? we need more speed back there

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Probably means Poolman and Dermott are going to be out for quite some time.

Reactions: andora

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Kinda getting tired of this. JRPA came on board & its the same junk that we were served by Benning a "retool on the fly".

The blue print of building through the draft (especially with how deep the 23 draft is supposed to be) has shown it works (see Edmonton, Colorado, Toronto, Buffalo etc). I get stinking like poo for a decade stinks but they could turn this around relatively quickly with some shrewd moves & adding picks.

Hard to watch the samething over & over with this club

Reactions: m9

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Need more pics not fewer, but you can’t really complain about a fifth rounder price
Anyone know anything about this guy’s speed? we need more speed back there

his skating is what holds him back. he's gonna get beat a lot on the forecheck and in transition

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If anyone has been listening to me they won't be surprised I like this deal, but then again I really like Bear and see a ton of potential.

Looks like we found out the answer to my question on how they'd fit him in.

I was right about his value being tanked well below Hoglander, at least.

Reactions: racerjoe

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Yea at first glance I don't like the trade as it means more picks are going out the door. Also Carolina is one of the top team in developing young talent (Koktiniemi not withstanding) so if they can't make Bear better, then I'm not sure there's much hope for this player anyways.
We kind of used up all the cap space the 2nd round pick (to dump Dickinson) bought for us in this one move, so the cost in acquiring this player is more like a 2nd and 5th, pretty heavy price, hope it works out (I doubt it will but I hope it does).

Each passing transaction is feeling more and more like we are stuck in the Benning era still though, very depressing.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
Seems like a good trade. Bear has reasonable upside as 4/5 defenseman and has a good first pass which we desperately need, in addition to just more RHD. Don’t enjoy giving up picks, but a 5th rounder is definitely fair value particularly given the salary retention. We aren’t bad enough to truly tank and if we’re not punting on the season then this a very good trade both as a stop gap until we get more healthy bodies, but also just to add another RHD option moving forward. Nice piece of work from Allvin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad