Confirmed with Link: [CAR/VAN] Canucks acquire D Ethan Bear (18% retained), C Lane Pederson for 5th Round Pick in '23

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Oh we got Lane Pederson too, that's a great add for the AHL team. 25 year old Right handed centre who has been close to PPG in his AHL stints over the last three years.

Much needed centre depth for Abbotsford.

Honestly it is nice to see management actively look to address issues at cheap prices after years of watching the previous management unable to figure out why their depth wasn't good and getting caught with their pants down constantly.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not a strong reaction either way to this ... doesn't really solve any of the roster problems, but obviously the depth is needed with all the injuries. Don't really love Bear as a player, and think he'll up being more press box depth at the end of the day.

But at that cost, it's relatively marginal and probably necessary given the current (and future) injuries on the blue line.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
why don't you like it

seems pretty good to me given we have awful defensive depth on the right side

awful top end depth. the canucks have myers, schenn, poolman, dermott, burroughs and juulsen on the right side. adding bear is maybe a marginal upgrade but doesn't address the problem

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
awful top end depth. the canucks have myers, schenn, poolman, dermott, burroughs and juulsen on the right side. adding bear is maybe a marginal upgrade but doesn't address the problem
this isn't the NBA. btw what top pairing RHD are available atm?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It’s annoying that we’re already in this position of needing to deal picks to plug short term holes, but you can’t complain about a fifth, and his contract is up after this year, so it’s probably about the best thing we could do.

You know, other than fixing this 3 months ago.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Don't mind the trade one bit. A 5th is nice to have but rolling the dice on Bear and gaining some AHL depth is worth it. It should raise the Canucks floor a little bit. I imagine Burroughs probably shifts over to the left side unless someone else is healthy.

OEL-Myers
Burroughs-Bear
Rathbone-Schenn

Something like that. One thing to note is Hughes is trying to get back next week and the Canucks have a 3 day break after tonight's game.

So we might see the following against the Devils:

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Muers
Burroughs-Bear

Which again leaves Rathbone on the outside looking in.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Key part with Pederson is that his 750k is guaranteed in the minors this year. So, Canucks eat that 750k that they can bury. Assuming that was the cost to get Carolina to retain some.

I mean, hard to be excited about these trades. Guys like Bear and Studnicka probably aren't even in the lineup if everyone is fully healthy. Obviously filling in holes to deal with injuries but if you were a "death by a thousand paper cuts" guy with the last management group it's hard to not get similar vibes after this last month. Allvin just running around the ship plugging holes with duct tape.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i do like bear though. i think he's a nice addition. it makes the dermott and stillman deals look bad though. if the canucks wanted bear they could have had him at the trade deadline last year or over the summer at the same price. hate that the team is back to bleeding picks to address depth issues that could have been solved with better planning

Reactions: BimJenning

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
We have two 4th round picks this year so I can live with giving up a 5th . I believe a Fresh start here will do wonders for Bear . I have always liked him as a player and I am hopeful we can see a breakout

Reactions: mathonwy

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Don't mind the trade one bit. A 5th is nice to have but rolling the dice on Bear and gaining some AHL depth is worth it. It should raise the Canucks floor a little bit. I imagine Burroughs probably shifts over to the left side unless someone else is healthy.

OEL-Myers
Burroughs-Bear
Rathbone-Schenn

Something like that. One thing to note is Hughes is trying to get back next week and the Canucks have a 3 day break after tonight's game.

So we might see the following against the Devils:

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Muers
Burroughs-Bear

Which again leaves Rathbone on the outside looking in.
At this point I assume Rathbone is going to be odd man out and moved for a similar late round pick. There is clearly no trust from the coaching staff in him. A bit of reshuffling for sure but sometimes you need to change things around a bit to see if you can find some magic to build from.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
This x 1000.

I was flabbergasted that that was the Canes' ask.

Bear for a 5th seems like reasonable value - I'm just not sure it materially improves our team at this time. We have a lot of guys around Bear's level. What we're lacking is guys who can take and handle top four minutes without being caved in.

All that said, Bear seems like a terrific human being. From a personnel standpoint, I'm really happy he's a Canuck, and he'll be easy to cheer for.
"If you can't get good players, get a lot of crappy players"

Vancouver Canucks GM handbook, section 2

• Haha
Reactions: Nucker101

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
why don't you like it

seems pretty good to me given we have awful defensive depth on the right side
The team is garbage and Burroughs is just as capable, if not more, than Bear to play the right.

Christ, Jalen Chatfield beat him out in Carolina.

Yes it’s a 5th, but it’s another pick out the door for a player that likely is on waivers shortly.

So they essentially paid a 5th for retention and get ahead of the que to bring in a guy that won’t make a lick of a difference.

It’s purely spinning their wheels over and over.

Insanity.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
so what's next when bear doesn't improve the blue line? acquire connor murphy? he's a right handed dman too

i do like bear though. i think he's a nice addition. it makes the dermott and stillman deals look bad though. if the canucks wanted bear they could have had him at the trade deadline last year or over the summer at the same price. hate that the team is back to bleeding picks to address depth issues that could have been solved with better planning

from the reports it seems like the ask was hoglander, so no, the price wouldn't have been the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad