Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Trevor van Riemsdyk re-signs with the Canes (2 years, $2.3M AAV)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Lol ok. You don't understand how Carolina looks like they clearly have an overcrowded blue line and it isn't very on the nose to every other GM and think they can low ball Carolina.
Whether Carolina accepts or not is a different story. But it's like having three $6+ mil centers. Sure you can keep all them and don't NEED to move one, but it's not smart cap management to pay your 3C that much and who won't produce at the needed levels to warrant that pricetag with third line wingers

Again, if you're paying a guy almost $5 mil to play your third pair, something's wrong and your roster is incredibly imbalanced
All they need is two teams to want Faulk and that whole concept is blown. It’s just not going to be a factor. Seems pretty easy to see. If only one team wants the guy and wants to play hardball then sure.

I don’t think that’s going to happen.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Winnipeg just made the Conference Finals with more committed to their 3 RHD than Carolina has committed to Pesce, Hamilton and Faulk.

The Canes have Svechnikov and Necas on ELCs for 3 seasons. That makes the threat of Carolina keeping Faulk until he goes to UFA plausible. An internal threshold of value should exist here.
Stastny was a rental. Hardly the same

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Edmonton is your team
the problem there is that RNH really caught fire on McDavid's wing to finish the season, and McDavid publicly said he likes the combo. RNH also gives us the option of playing Draisaitl on McDavid's wing, another combo that gives us an option other combos get cold.

Now, of course that is a bit a luxury, while the defense issues that Faulk would solve are a pressing need.

However, we do have Bear and Bouchard coming, so Faulk would be more of a stop gap. I think there is a trade out there that involves RNH and Faulk, but there has to be more to it than that.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
the problem there is that RNH really caught fire on McDavid's wing to finish the season, and McDavid publicly said he likes the combo. RNH also gives us the option of playing Draisaitl on McDavid's wing, another combo that gives us an option other combos get cold.

Now, of course that is a bit a luxury, while the defense issues that Faulk would solve are a pressing need.

However, we do have Bear and Bouchard coming, so Faulk would be more of a stop gap. I think there is a trade out there that involves RNH and Faulk, but there has to be more to it than that.
Fair enough. Kudos on a fair point

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Stastny was a rental. Hardly the same

The Jets were a top team in the West even before acquiring Stastny.

A team can maintain quality depth at a given position if there's young, cost-controlled talent at other positons. Winnipeg was able to roll with Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers because Laine and Connor combined for 70+ goals while on their ELCs. In that sense, the situations are comparable.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lol ok. You don't understand how Carolina looks like they clearly have an overcrowded blue line and it isn't very on the nose to every other GM and think they can low ball Carolina.
Whether Carolina accepts or not is a different story. But it's like having three $6+ mil centers. Sure you can keep all them and don't NEED to move one, but it's not smart cap management to pay your 3C that much and who won't produce at the needed levels to warrant that pricetag with third line wingers

Again, if you're paying a guy almost $5 mil to play your third pair, something's wrong and your roster is incredibly imbalanced

Imbalanced? The Canes entire defense only costs $27M. Hawks have Seabrook, who is awful that costs more than Faulk.

Player value is all supply and demand. Knowing a team is likely to trade a guy doesn’t change that if a GM is willing to be patient (as seen in the Duchene trade)

As bleed said, if more than 1 team has interest, it’s a non issue.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Imbalanced? The Canes entire defense only costs $27M. Hawks have Seabrook, who is awful that costs more than Faulk.

Player value is all supply and demand. Knowing a team is likely to trade a guy doesn’t change that if a GM is willing to be patient (as seen in the Duchene trade)

As bleed said, if more than 1 team has interest, it’s a non issue.
I knew you would bring in Seabrook and that's entirely my point. Chicago has a major issue on their hands with him. Carolina also had a problem now with an overcrowded and over priced third pair defense and everyone knows it. Simple as that

Carolina isn't going to shave minutes from their top 4D just to make sure faulk gets enough ice time because "he earns too much". And if you think the new owners are fine keeping him at his salary playing third line minutes, well then that's a whole other story.

Carolina isn't the deep pockets like Chicago, rangers, leafs, or red wings

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I knew you would bring in Seabrook and that's entirely my point. Chicago has a major issue on their hands with him. Carolina also had a problem now with an overcrowded and over priced third pair defense and everyone knows it. Simple as that

Carolina isn't going to shave minutes from their top 4D just to make sure faulk gets enough ice time because "he earns too much". And if you think the new owners are fine keeping him at his salary playing third line minutes, well then that's a whole other story.

Not deep pockets?

The owner's net worth is north of $1.5 billion. That's billion, with a B.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Canes 3rd pair is Haydn Fleury($863k) + TVR ($2.3 million). ~$3 million for a bottom pair isn't overpriced.

How many teams in the league do you think would like to add a 26 year old cost-controlled, top-4 RHD? If the answer is "more than 2-3" (and I think the answer is closer to 10-15) then do you really think that teams will band together, conspiring to all offer lesser value? Or do you think maybe a couple of those GMs (reality: all of the GMs) are more concerned about upgrading their team then they are about sticking it to Carolina?

Canes new owner (Tom Dundon) has deep enough pockets. Dundon is also a bit of an obsessive "I need to understand all of this" type of hands-on owner. He made a billion dollars being an apex predator in the auto loan industry. He won't be put over a barrel when dealing a premium asset. If the interest isn't there right now then the Canes will just wait until the Trade Deadline when contenders start sweating. Although I assume contenders are already sweating pretty hard given Toronto's addition of Tavares and TB's pending addition of Karlsson.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Faulk or TVR, mostly likely Faulk...will likely be traded for good value. We no longer need him to be traded for anything specific and multiple teams will be interested. No point arguing about why the return wasn’t good enough yet, we can just wait until it happens and know one way or the other soon enough. I’m not expecting disappointment on the level of the return.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

The bolded is only an issue if the team is against the cap and looking to make a major move. Carolina is not in that situation, therefore, its not a problem.

As to the underlined - i assume you know this because you and Dundon take his private jet out the islands, and he tells you these things in confidence?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad