Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Trevor van Riemsdyk re-signs with the Canes (2 years, $2.3M AAV)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Perfect. All but guaranteed that Faulk is moved now.

Count me in as someone who wants him, don't think Nylander/Kadri are on the table but Gardiner, any prospect in our system (besides Liljegren), picks would be. Don't know if that's enough to get it done though.

Either way...Skinner + Faulk are the most intriguing storyline for the rest of the offseason now.....brace yourself Cane fans.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Count me in as someone who wants him, don't think Nylander/Kadri are on the table but Gardiner, any prospect in our system (besides Liljegren), picks would be. Don't know if that's enough to get it done though.

Either way...Skinner + Faulk are the most intriguing storyline for the rest of the offseason now.....brace yourself Cane fans.

After signing de Haan I don’t think Gardiner and 2nd tier prospects (which Canes have gobs of) are very appealing. A year and a half from now, I think Faulk could get a late 1st and a decent prospect at the deadly deadline. If the offer isn’t better than that, then I think the Canes would look elsewhere.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
And as a Canes fan 1st, leafs fan 2nd, I don’t think Faulk is the right D for the leafs to go after. Leafs need better defense, not more offense

I kind of make a more winded post on that on the Leafs board, and it's a bit of a thought experiment for discussion more than anything (but the premise is, Faulk replaces Gardiner....we use Gardiner to recoup some of the assets on Faulk, and we take advantadge of our LHD depth organizationally to fill the void). For example, I really liked what I saw from Marcinin last year on the Marlies (despite his awful training camp last year, I think most Leaf fans were too hard on him....just a series of unfortunate circumstances, like peaking late into the year last season).

Basically, there's going to be a lot of moving parts in that situation to fit in a Faulk. But obviously, before we even get there, we need to rationalize a cost- and like you said, we probably don't have the assets that we're willing to move in the first place.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
tvr was the least trumpeted hawk acquisition by carolina last summer, but he turned out the best ainec. solid bottom pairing guy. also he was one of the few who remained committed to playing indian when things went to crap and most of the team started chiefing it up (and I wish I could put a capital 'c' here, but alas...)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
tvr was the least trumpeted hawk acquisition by carolina last summer, but he turned out the best ainec. solid bottom pairing guy. also he was one of the few who remained committed to playing indian when things went to crap and most of the team started chiefing it up (and I wish I could put a capital 'c' here, but alas...)

He was really used correctly. He stepped up when needed, and was great on his pairings.

Definitely a solid 5/6 guy.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Don't want Kapanen. There's a reason Pittsburgh moved him and Toronto is open to moving him.

He's not as good as his scouting report.

He's a middle-6 W with top-6 tools; a product less than the sum of his parts. Considering Hanifin and Lindholm, that seems like the kind of player DW wants fewer of on the team and he's perfectly content to risk living up to their skill-set/potential in someone else's uniform.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Tor 1st + Kap for Faulk?

I'd do it, would add a 2nd or equivalent prospect too. That's assuming we can leverage Gardiner to recoup a 1st or something though, maybe a 3-way trade. It would be complicated to pull-off.

And as evidenced by your fellow Cane fans, there's going to be a decent amount of Leaf fans who don't want Faulk either so we're both in the minority to some extent.

But NO.....

Foegele, Wallmark, Zykov....all pretty much similar guys we already have.

I mean, I'd take Kap over all three quite comfortably, but I see your point. I don't think Kap is a blue-chip or anything of the sort, but his speed is game-breaking enough to generate frequent breakaways/chances on his own accord, and other generic winger prospect that other teams have, generally do not provide analogous value most of the time, nor are they necessarily trending better at an analogous age.

I see Kapanen sort of similar to a guy like Fischer, before he got some opportunity, maybe a little less or more value give or take (I'm talking about a year ago.....now Fischer has more value because he proved he can produce at the NHL level.....Kap hasn't gotten the opportunity, and may not this year playing on the 4th line possibly).

Just my thoughts on it. I do think Canes can possibly do better with Faulk too, but I also thought that about ROR, so. I anticipate Faulk on the open-market gets similar to what Hamonic got, give or take. I mean Faulk might be the better player in hindsight, but it's not that clear or set in stone IMO (Hamonic was considered higher-end quality too at one point)....and I doubt the Flames thought they were going to finish in the lottery too.

He's a middle-6 W with top-6 tools.

Yea, that's how I have him too. Except a middle 6 with the type of speed he has is rare and could be sought-after...think Grabner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Was kind of hoping the Leafs could have signed TVR to replace that van Riemsdyk quotient we're now missing.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Can't help but think all these trades and signings on the Canes blue line is hurting any potential Faulk trade value

OakCity

Jun 24, 2018
After signing de Haan I don’t think Gardiner and 2nd tier prospects (which Canes have gobs of) are very appealing. A year and a half from now, I think Faulk could get a late 1st and a decent prospect at the deadly deadline. If the offer isn’t better than that, then I think the Canes would look elsewhere.
Canes so deep on the blue line, that they won't be looking to get any back.

Reactions: SebastianAhoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad