Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Justin Williams signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $700K + $1.3M in possible bonuses)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Am I crazy for thinking the Canes are better off without him? I like how the offence looks right now. I guess if he's on the 4th that's fine, but who do you knock out of the top 9 to fit him? They have a nice balance of flow and speed right now.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Am I crazy for thinking the Canes are better off without him? I like how the offence looks right now. I guess if he's on the 4th that's fine, but who do you knock out of the top 9 to fit him? They have a nice balance of flow and speed right now.

I get the concern in-why rock the boat, right? But, in getting Williams at exactly the halfway point:

-They add a much needed right shot F, til now Necas was the only righty up front

-Williams has a history with the guys in the room

-The long term health of Haula is a big question mark. While not a C, Williams is a great insurance policy in the top 9

-Lastly, and I think most importantly, Williams is coming back at only the cost of cap space. CAR still has a treasure trove of futures to spend at the deadline on hockey deals, no real need to spend on rentals at the moment.

There is the potential for guys being upset if they’re made to sit in place of Williams and the potential for Williams to not be close to the player he was after missing 1/2 a season, but I think all the pros above vastly outweigh any potential cons.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

WHEN HAULA AND NEČAS WERE INJURED AT THE SAME TIME, THE 12TH FORWARD WAS OFTEN A HUGE LIABILITY.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah but most veterans DON'T do this, though, so not buying that reasoning.

I wish I could just show up to work whenever I felt like it.

Simple. Go develop an elite skill, work at that skill to become very successful in your field, become set for life monetarily, and market that skill to a company that wants you when you are willing to work. :dunno:

What? You can't do that? Well, then you aren't going to be able to show up when you want.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There is your problem.

ComposedIlliterateBighornedsheep-size_restricted.gif

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
As a Canes fan, I'm pretty stoked to be hearing it, even if it has always been rather predictable. BUT... can we afford him right now? I don't really understand how the caps work, but CapFriendly indicates that Canes have about $3MM in cap space available today and are projected to be down to $1.5MM by the end of the season.
We paid Willy $9MM for two years last time. Would he really take $1.5MM for half a season? Even if he doesn't, are the Canes really going to be comfortable with zero cap space?
Plus, looking at our lineup right now, he just doesn't fit super well as it stands. Will probably need to scratch Martinook(A) or Foegele (first line helping Svech make space) or McGinn to even get him on the ice right now.

Canes have six picks in the first three rounds.

I'm thinking Canes are looking for a Cup rental on top of Willy. And I think they're probably going to have to make a trade to make that happen. Most Canes fans are looking at Van Riemsdyk as the most likely guy out the door, but he hasn't really had a great season and has been losing ice time to Fleury.

Meanwhile, Jordan Staal has fifteen points on the season and is locked in at $6MM for the next FOUR years. By the 22-23 season, Staal will be one of our six players left under contract - in the mean time, we'll need to pay (or think about paying) Svechnikov, Dzingel/Haula/Necas, and Hamilton (just to name a few of our big impact guys), and on top of that, we've got a TON of excellent prospects coming up the pipeline that MAY turn out uto be incredible, like Suzuki, Luostarinen, Gauthier, and Bean.

Super hot take: Staal to Minnesota for Mikko Koivu. Koivu gets to play for a real Cup contender (whether or not the Wild can make the playoffs, they certainly are not a cup team). Canes get out from Staal's contract before its too late. We free up a ton of money to let Waddell, RBA and Dundon continue their complete overhaul of the roster. We bring a veteran Fin in who has slightly better offensive production than Staal to center Svechnikov / Williams, giving Svech two incredibly high hockey sense guys to create a bunch of space for him. Jordan and Erik Staal get to play out the remainder of their career together. Canes keep all their picks while still going at least to the ECF. Koivu retires back to Finland after hoisting the cup next to Aho, Turbo, and Nino.

Not a Minnesota fan, but I'm not sure they are looking to add long term contracts for declining players given their cap situation, and that Koivu is their captain and has a NMC.

Aug 3, 2010
I completely missed what happened and Wikipedia didn't have much in the way of enlightening me.

Was he considering retirement/needed a sabbatical??

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I hope the Canes HQ doesnt screw this up. J Will please choose Tampa over those other organizations if it doesnt work out.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Washington adding Williams would scare me. Not high on that team, but I could see them rallying around that.

You think the top team in the league, with the second highest GF's in the league needs something to rally around?

I actually think them adding Williams is completely unneeded and could hurt them. Last time they had him they still lost to Pittsburgh twice in a row. I am not really sure what Williams would do for the caps. I am pretty sure they just rallied around themselves to break the sharks anyways.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You think the top team in the league, with the second highest GF's in the league needs something to rally around?

I actually think them adding Williams is completely unneeded and could hurt them. Last time they had him they still lost to Pittsburgh twice in a row. I am not really sure what Williams would do for the caps. I am pretty sure they just rallied around themselves to break the sharks anyways.
i don't know maybe leadership as the team gets closer to the playoff.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What's this guy doing? Trying to pad his bank account? He's made like $60 million and he's trying to squeeze them?

I suspect this is some kind of leak by his agent to get more money, I'd laugh at it if I was Carolina's owner.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What's this guy doing? Trying to pad his bank account? He's made like $60 million and he's trying to squeeze them?

I suspect this is some kind of leak by his agent to get more money, I'd laugh at it if I was Carolina's owner.

Not a good look for either party really, is he being lowballed or is he trying to extract every little bit he can on his last deal?

I’d love him back, but I like the fact that evidently a “final offer” has been submitted. Guy is clutch player and a legend in CAR but it’s time to make a friggin decision.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
i don't know maybe leadership as the team gets closer to the playoff.

I mean their leadership is set and very good. Ovi is in his 15th season. Backstrom in his 13th. Oshie in his 12th. Hagelin has been around forever too. They have a ton or leadership and playoff experience. Just like the pens. These teams dont need vet leadership anymore. Their best players are the best leaders.

Reactions: LDF

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why would you lowball him? He was your captain and he's signing for half a year!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe Williams should take a page out of Chara's and E. Staal's book. If this is driven by his agent, then Williams has to shut it down, pronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad