Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Justin Williams signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $700K + $1.3M in possible bonuses)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I thought after a certain date they did. I kinda remember something about that when the Bruins got Gionta.

I don’t think Fisher had to but maybe I’m wrong. Doesn’t really make sense why he’d have to go through waivers though, no one owns his rights or anything.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
This is exactly what I thought would happen when Williams wasn't re-signed during the summer. He will join them for the playoffs push and playoffs, exactly where he shines.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It’s only for players whose rights you already hold. It’s so teams can’t stash talent overseas and then bring them in just in time for the playoffs.
No, you can bring in your reserve list players from overseas and everywhere without them having to pass waivers. It's overseas players you sign from outside your reserve list after the season has started at overseas who need to pass waivers.

Also, the red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Thought he needed to be signed before December 1st, or something?

don't think so. Player need to be signed before the trade deadline to be eligible to play in the playoffs if that is what you are thinking of?

Also RFA's need to be signed by December 1st

Using my limited recollection, I am pretty sure the 12/1 deadline only affects RFAs.

Hopefully this doesnt flop like when Fisher came back with Nashville. Game is better with these guys though, always top notch character guys from what it seems.

You guys are right on it.

Mike Fisher signed his last contract with Nashville on February 26, 2018.

December 1 is no problem, but performance might be an issue.

That said, you can never have enough of Justin Williams.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Honestly, I like Williams, but sitting out just to come back for the stretch and the playoffs is honestly kind of lame in my opinion. Good for the Canes and all, but just like... play the whole season, you know?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly, I like Williams, but sitting out just to come back for the stretch and the playoffs is honestly kind of lame in my opinion. Good for the Canes and all, but just like... play the whole season, you know?

Why? Wouldn’t be surprised if more older players did this to stay more fresh for the real push for the playoffs/Cup.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Come back and say that when you’ve played 18 seasons in the nhl.

I get where that sentiment is coming from, either **** or get off the pot-type mentality, but I don't really care as a Canes fan. Williams, as long as he's anywhere close to the guy he was last year, is the absolute perfect addition for CAR prior to the deadline. Not giving up any assets for him when they have oodles of futures is just the icing on the cake.

Well, I guess Williams isn't exactly the perfect addition. The perfect addition(s) would be a top 9 right shot C and/or a top 10 goaltender, but Williams is pretty darn close to perfect for what CAR needs.

Reactions: DaveG

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I get where that sentiment is coming from, either **** or get off the pot-type mentality, but I don't really care as a Canes fan. Williams, as long as he's anywhere close to the guy he was last year, is the absolute perfect addition for CAR prior to the deadline. Not giving up any assets for him when they have oodles of futures is just the icing on the cake.

Well, I guess Williams isn't exactly the perfect addition. The perfect addition(s) would be a top 9 right shot C and/or a top 10 goaltender, but Williams is pretty darn close to perfect for what CAR needs.

Hopefully he looks better than when we last saw him in the Boston series.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
source.gif

Legend.

Reactions: Fixxer and DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hopefully he looks better than when we last saw him in the Boston series.

That is the point of taking the first half of the year off. Williams was completely spent after the Game 7 win over Washington. Hopefully a 50-60 game season will be more manageable for him.

where does he slot in the lineup when he returns?

That depends on how similar he is to last year. Williams was/is already as slow as he is going to get. His #1/2 5v5 linemates last year were Sebastian Aho and Nino Niederreiter and that line put up a 62% GF% (28GF vs 17 GA). They dominated in the 2nd half of the year.

Ideally (if Justin is up to speed):

Svech/Nino - Staal - Teravainen
Nino/Svech - Aho - Williams
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
Foegele - Wallmark - Martinook/McGinn

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No, you can bring in your reserve list players from overseas and everywhere without them having to pass waivers. It's overseas players you sign from outside your reserve list after the season has started at overseas who need to pass waivers.

Also, the red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.
Listen, Lempo, don't start with your white zone shit again. We all know there is no stopping in the white zone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad