Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jake Gardiner to the Carolina Hurricanes (4 years, $4.05M AAV)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yup, as a huge Gardiner supporter here I might have to eat some crow as well. It’s still early in the season, but Gardiner has been absolutely terrible for Carolina. And this is by the same metrics that said he was an underrated top pairing defenseman in the past.

He was a lot better before his back issues.

I know the Gardiner Canes fans are watching right now and it's not pretty to watch.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Gardiner is a disaster of a signing for the Canes this year, and tonight is a glaring example of it. Team plays toe to toe with Boston, even controlling play late, only to see Gardiner badly turn the puck over at the blue line that immediately opens up an odd man rush for the GWG. Just a stupid mindless play that completely changed the end result for them.

He's worthy of being healthy scratched for the short term. He's easily the worst defender on the team. Just not at all worth the contract he signed.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He scored the OT winner in the 2nd game of the season, at Washington, but since then he's just not been very good at best. Tonight was brutal there at the end.

I'd much rather have Calvin de Haan back. de Hann frankly was just more of a rock steady kind of blue-liner.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I wouldn't say he's been bad overall, but he hasn't been good either.

Until tonight. Tonight he just about singlehandedly cost us a game we played well enough to win 8 times out of 10. He needs to be benched for a while until he gets healthy, because the way he looks when he's skating there's no way he's anywhere near 100% or even 80% most likely.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
3 more years after this one...

F6DEAADE-043F-4AA1-AA93-47BA0BDD0E7D.jpeg

Reactions: AD Skinner

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Gardiner is a disaster of a signing for the Canes this year, and tonight is a glaring example of it. Team plays toe to toe with Boston, even controlling play late, only to see Gardiner badly turn the puck over at the blue line that immediately opens up an odd man rush for the GWG. Just a stupid mindless play that completely changed the end result for them.

He's worthy of being healthy scratched for the short term. He's easily the worst defender on the team. Just not at all worth the contract he signed.

Sounds about right.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

This is too familiar. I hope he turns it around.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Gardiner has been very bad this season but was extremely consistent the three years prior... wonder if it's just a bad fit.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
How is he -18 on that team? The next closest is -7.
Because he's literally that bad. Contributes nothing offensively and his defensive lapses routinely go for goals against.

He's on something like a 13 game point drought. And given how poor he is defensively, not being able to even get an assist is just unacceptable for him.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't think Tomas Kaberle played for the Canes, wasn't it Frankie or Frantisek Kaberle?
They both played for the Canes. Frantisek won the Cup with the Canes in 2006, then we signed Tomas in 2011 to a 3 year deal where he was supposed to help out our offense and powerplay, just like Gardiner this year, but he ended up being a terrible signing and was traded not even halfway through his first season to the Habs for Jaroslav Spacek.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Gardiner has 1 goal 5 assists 6 points in 28 games with a team worst -18 with the next worst being a -7 from Niederreiter. Gardiner is playing 16:35 on average per game. Gardiner is getting a good percentage of offensive zone starts according to hockey reference.

Already not looking like a good signing. Maybe things will turn around for him we shall see.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was a lot better before his back issues.

I know the Gardiner Canes fans are watching right now and it's not pretty to watch.

He was never that good. Look at when his production bumped up? It was when the Leafs inserted the 3 kids. His stats were inflated due to how good the Offense is for the Leafs. Reality. Is Gardiner known for being good in his own end when you take away his production? No really. He's decent but overrated.

-18 with the Canes (worse on the team) and the next guy close to him is -7. Think about that for a minute! Most of the other D man on the Canes are -5, -2, or a + player.

Take away his points he got with the Leafs and he's a depth guy in the end.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gardiner has 1 goal 5 assists 6 points in 28 games with a team worst -18 with the next worst being a -7 from Niederreiter. Gardiner is playing 16:35 on average per game. Gardiner is getting a good percentage of offensive zone starts according to hockey reference.

Already not looking like a good signing. Maybe things will turn around for him we shall see.

You beat me to the +/- ... It sticks out like a sore thumb. People fell for his inflated production cause he played with a offensive Leafs roster. I remember some Habs fans thinking he was our LD answer :laugh:. Thank god Gardiner said no to Bergevin

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
There is no cure for scared or stupid. Gardiner is both. Avoids contact like the plague and is one of the lowest IQ players in the league. I can’t believe the Leafs didn’t re sign him. He is the poster child for what they’re building in Toronto.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He wasnt great before his back injury, and it sure hasnt helped him.

He seems like a good dude but the sun is rapidly setting on his NHL career

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He was never that good. Look at when his production bumped up? It was when the Leafs inserted the 3 kids. His stats were inflated due to how good the Offense is for the Leafs. Reality. Is Gardiner known for being good in his own end when you take away his production? No really. He's decent but overrated.

-18 with the Canes (worse on the team) and the next guy close to him is -7. Think about that for a minute! Most of the other D man on the Canes are -5, -2, or a + player.

Take away his points he got with the Leafs and he's a depth guy in the end.

Prime Gardiner was a beast and a #1D. You have no idea what you're talking about.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He wasnt great before his back injury, and it sure hasnt helped him.

He seems like a good dude but the sun is rapidly setting on his NHL career

Right. Look at the post above yours. Poor hockey IQ. That's literally the complete opposite of Gardiner. I think people forget how good prime Gardiner was. He was a #1D and one of the best puck movers in the NHL. I'd still take him back, but the injury concerns are scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad