PTO: [CAR] G Jaroslav Halak signs PTO with the Hurricanes (released)

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Still don't understand why Waddell decided to get older in net and fans/pundits thought they'd be Cup favorites. Kochetkov being sheit is the biggest surprise. Thought he'd for sure be at least a lower end No1 by now.

The value for guys like Mrazek, Lyon and Blackwood must be sky high.
for sure, add in Lindgren to that list. Imagine the price for the Goalies available in the tier above these types of guys...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Still don't understand why Waddell decided to get older in net and fans/pundits thought they'd be Cup favorites. Kochetkov being sheit is the biggest surprise. Thought he'd for sure be at least a lower end No1 by now.

The value for guys like Mrazek, Lyon and Blackwood must be sky high.
Because no gm would sign those three guys over Raanta or Anderson. They’re simply not better goalies. As a Canes fan I agree with you about rolling the dice with often injured goalies, it’s a huge risk but if they’re healthy at the right time it could be the difference in winning the cup.

Were there better goalies who are younger/healthier while also being affordable?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Damn. Was really hoping he'd get signed to get to 300 wins.

I'm actually kind of surprised he doesn't quite have that notch yet. Feels like he's been around forever. But i guess he has spent a lot of his career in some various sort of "timeshare" arrangements that limited his ability to rack up wins a little bit.

Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Sleeping on Halak like always lol.

If I'm the Oilers, I bring him on and rock him out. If he posts .900 like he should, the Oilers can get back in the fight. None of the other options on roster are going to do jack for them.

It doesn't solve all the problems, but it might give them some breathing room so they can figure out what to do. Halak can steal games and is far better than the other folks who can only parrot out 38 years old know.

Reactions: the and Summer Rose

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Sleeping on Halak like always lol.

If I'm the Oilers, I bring him on and rock him out. If he posts .900 like he should, the Oilers can get back in the fight. None of the other options on roster are going to do jack for them.

It doesn't solve all the problems, but it might give them some breathing room so they can figure out what to do. Halak can steal games and is far better than the other folks who can only parrot out 38 years old know.
ya, that is why I indicated what I did, the oilers should absolutely should give him a PTO
Halak may have one last blast of good play in him that could be a short term stop gap

Reactions: GoldenSeal

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Y'all keep acting like the Oilers have no interest, but has anyone considered Halak might rather relax than spend a winter in Edmonton getting shelled every night? Article linked says he pretty picky as it is and that only increases as you get older. Quite possible Edmonton has already reached out and either Halak said no or wants too much money to make it worth his while in the tundra.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Y'all keep acting like the Oilers have no interest, but has anyone considered Halak might rather relax than spend a winter in Edmonton getting shelled every night? Article linked says he pretty picky as it is and that only increases as you get older. Quite possible Edmonton has already reached out and either Halak said no or wants too much money to make it worth his while in the tundra.
its very possible for sure

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He signed a PTO with the Canes, I don’t think money is the issue, I think him playing was. He’ll accept if the Oil lets him play.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
LeBrun said today that

1) The Oilers have indeed talked to his camp
2) Halak is unwilling to accept a conditioning assignment to the AHL.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with the climate, the city, or even the money...

But yeah...i don't know why everyone is acting like Halak would want to go to Edmonton to get completely caved in for a brief farewell tour to the NHL. I think he'd rather go out on a higher note.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
LeBrun said today that

1) The Oilers have indeed talked to his camp
2) Halak is unwilling to accept a conditioning assignment to the AHL.
Why would he be so against getting in a few games at the ahl level when he’s sitting at home with no contract and not a lot of options? It’s been months since he’s played in a professional game. Can his ego really be that big?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why would he be so against getting in a few games at the ahl level when he’s sitting at home with no contract and not a lot of options? It’s been months since he’s played in a professional game. Can his ego really be that big?
I'm not sure. He's played two professional hockey games since March 31st (and he lost them both and didn't look great). If a team that badly needed goaltending (like the Oilers) were willing to sign me, I personally wouldn't have any issue going to Bakersfield for a couple weeks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On one hand I don't blame him. Going from NHL life to AHL life isn't exactly fun.

But on the other hand why would a team want to sign a guy that clearly isn't committed to his game?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Halak would have to see that even with a conditioning stint in the AHL he is a lock to get NHL starting minutes in Edmonton.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I get it from Halak's side. More goalies could get hurt, and he'd be one of three goalies in Carolina, and they want him to go to the AHL. Don't need to jump at that opportunity.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad