PTO: [CAR] G Jaroslav Halak signs PTO with the Hurricanes (released)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Surprised he wasn’t signed by now. Did he price himself out of consideration for the jobs that might have been available in September?

That was always my question. Comfort? Money? Why the non-signing?

Good for him and CAR though now. But I was hopeful we'd land him!

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Man. I just looked at EP and saw he has 10 straight seasons above .900
Overall 16 seasons above .900 and only one below.
Big respect.
When he backed up Demko in Vancouver, I kept prefacing every criticism with: “despite having a storied career…”

He is simply not an NHL goaltender at this stage in his career, but it was an impressive career any way you look at it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Big respect.
Indeed still going at 38 and under 6 feet which is hard to find these days in nets with everyone being taller in general.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
When he backed up Demko in Vancouver, I kept prefacing every criticism with: “despite having a storied career…”

He is simply not an NHL goaltender at this stage in his career, but it was an impressive career any way you look at it.
Didn't watch him much after he left Boston but stat watching seemed to put up pretty dece numbers.
Weird they aren't going Kochetkov/Raanta, unless Raanta is also hurt.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Didn't watch him much after he left Boston but stat watching seemed to put up pretty dece numbers.
Weird they aren't going Kochetkov/Raanta, unless Raanta is also hurt.
So far it's Kochetkov/Raanta. This may be insurance in case Raanta gets hurt again which is likely the way he's historically gone when he's had a 1a workload. Perets is nowhere near ready to back up Kochetkov if that happens.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Surprised he wasn’t signed by now. Did he price himself out of consideration for the jobs that might have been available in September?
Here’s an article in French back in August.

He had some specific request about his ideal destination and ended up waiting too long.I also remember reading that his salary demands were too high and the Rangers decided to go with the cheaper option in Jonathan Quick.

There’s much worst goalies out there. His play last season was undoubtedly good enough to earn another contract.

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
There's always a sentiment that Tom Dundon "screws over" everybody: players, agents, coaches. In truth, he tends to pay whatever the cost is for success, but only in endeavors he believes add to team success.

I don't think we know the full story, but it seems most likely that the Canes wanted Halak on as a third goalie in case of likely injury to Raanta. I'm guessing Halak wanted to play games and not sit for right now as a third stringer.

In any case, we're likely to be shopping again for a quality #3 goalie in two weeks when Raanta sneezes.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
do him dirty? He has to earn the spot. It’s not like the Canes were going to say Halak wasn’t good during the tryout.
Well you would think they would have given him a bit of time to get in game shape. It wouldn't have hurt them to try him for a game or two before releasing him either.

Just feels like a waste of time for all party involved.

Reactions: Strat

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Well you would think they would have given him a bit of time to get in game shape. It wouldn't have hurt them to try him for a game or two before releasing him either.

Just feels like a waste of time for all party involved.
Its on the player to be ready. At the same he was with the team for 3 weeks or so. It’s not like they terminated the PTO 3 days in

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was just saying if Copley can't get his save percentage over .800 tonight I'd love to see the Kings give Halak a shot. We need someone that can give Talbot a rest while doing better than letting 1 goal per 4 shots in. 1 goal in 5 and we're in business!

Unless the Canes cut him because he turned into dust

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Big respect.

Its interesting how he always found his way to solid defensive systems

Obviously he had to get the job done, but he also played on teams that saw Brian Elliott put up a .940 sv% and Thomas Greiss .925sv%.

Insane playoffs against Washington/Pittsburgh that one year too. It sucks that smaller goalies get snubbed all the time. He proved everyone he wasnt a one hit wonder.

Reactions: Strat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad