Waived: [CAR] D Tony DeAngelo waived by the Hurricanes (cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I know deangelo comes with other baggage, but I've always wondered why these talented offensive-defensemen don't get a crack at playing on the wing. Would take some learning but when the raw ability is there you'd think it's worth a shot if they could still contribute.
DeAngelo actually was a forward until he switched to defense in his D-3. If he never switches to defense it is very likely he never makes the NHL.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Ok, then why was DeAngelo the one who got cut? It’s possible they’re both assholes, but the team’s response was telling.
It’s fairly simple. The rangers couldnt have nearly 1/3 of their entire salary cap locked up on the right side of their D. That paired with publicly supporting trump in nyc

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
..or he tried to punch a teammate and got no support because he’s an asshole. Occam’s razor says it’s that.
Let's not forget that he was a complete liability when actually defending, and had already been a healthy scratch for several games that season because they were better off with Anthony Bietto back there.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Cause he snap crackle and pops?

He’s grrrrrrrreat!?

He’s got 2 scoops?

He follows his nose?!

Help - what does this mean!

It doesn't mean he's grrrrrrrreat, I'm pretty sure. And it sure as heck better not be referencing this:

1709913565737.png

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lest we forget the horrors of Charles "Chuck" Fletcher trading a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for DeAngelo, then giving him 2 years $10 million, just a few summers ago.

That after he gave Arizona a 2nd and 7th to take the far superior Gostisbehere for free.

What a GM.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I know deangelo comes with other baggage, but I've always wondered why these talented offensive-defensemen don't get a crack at playing on the wing. Would take some learning but when the raw ability is there you'd think it's worth a shot if they could still contribute.
It usually doesn't work out, their game is usually based on movement patterns that work better for a defenseman. It has failed so many times. Many guys are excellent at creating offense from the back end whilst they can't get used to the game a winger has to play.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Defensemen by virtue of the position usually have more time to handle the puck. They also get to handle it with momentum and a head start more often like when retreiving a puck and turning up ice.

Unless you're a superstar winger, a lot of your time will be spent grinding in the corners and along boards, and lots of stopping and starting, not something OFD like to do.

I personally never understood the put an OFD @ winger thing but that' just me

throwback to the time HF Rangers were comparing tony deangelo to Cale Makar

and a double throwback to HF Rangers throwing Marc Staal completely under the bus when he was partnered with tony

I'm far from a TDA fan but these videos are pejorative slurred and sad. They made me angry

DeAngelo was good for the Rangers overall. I didnt' see one 'gotcha comment. And in the 1st video he helped made a lot of those goals happen.

Everyone knew he had defensive warts, you lived with 'em, Staal was certainly washed in his final years.

Reactions: Rockman74

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm glad Tony wasn't moved. Canes are going to need depth and Tony hasn't had any issues in Carolina, even this year with limited playing time. He knows our system, gets along with the team and coach.

Hopefully we won't need him to be more than a 3rd pairing guy and 2nd PP unit guy, but it's nice to have him as depth.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm glad Tony wasn't moved. Canes are going to need depth and Tony hasn't had any issues in Carolina, even this year with limited playing time. He knows our system, gets along with the team and coach.

Hopefully we won't need him to be more than a 3rd pairing guy and 2nd PP unit guy, but it's nice to have him as depth.
I wouldn’t be shocked if they try to re-sign him as a 3rd-pairing guy for next year. He will probably be cheaper and we know he fits.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I wouldn’t be shocked if they try to re-sign him as a 3rd-pairing guy for next year. He will probably be cheaper and we know he fits.
I love reading how he is a noted locker room cancer. Its pretty funny actually that many if his Ranger team mates are great friends of his and even invited him to weddings and everyone he has been a team mate with in Carolina think he's a great team mate.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
throwback to the time HF Rangers were comparing tony deangelo to Cale Makar

and a double throwback to HF Rangers throwing Marc Staal completely under the bus when he was partnered with tony

If he matured and took his game a step forward he would be this
1709958460725.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad