Trade: [CAR/CHI] 2023 1st overall pick for 2023 9th overall, 2023 61st overall, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, and DJ Moore

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
People have to understand that teams who hold the top pick to high end QBs in the draft won't be trading the pick.

I mean, let's say Caleb Williams meets the hype in 2024 draft. The only teams I could see who would deal the pick are the following, every other team holds onto it.

KC with Mahomes. Bills with Allen. Cin with Burrow. LAC with Herbert. Jax with Lawrence. Clev has no pick. Asking a lot of Williams to be as good as these 5 Qbs.
Now, Add in whichever team signs a multi year deal with Lamar, Hurts if he signs this offseason, Denver with Wilson and AZ with Murray, will have massive dead caps for 2024 if they move off their guy. They'd have to work the phones to see what they could do because they won't get the full benefit of the rookie QB contract if they are eating massive dead caps in 2024 and 2025 (Post June 1 cut) or whatever trade they can work out.

Everyone else, even if they are eating some dead cap in 2024, would get rid of a Dak, Jones, Smith, Carr, Goff, etc. and Draft Williams.

Like you said, Chicago would be dumping Fields if Williams was draft eligible.
If Denver got the top pick, due to another disastrous season from 35 year old Wilson, I think you take the top pick. Dallas would be interesting. Would they get rid of Dak? Idk. It's highly unlikely Dallas will be that bad.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Denver got the top pick, due to another disastrous season from 35 year old Wilson, I think you take the top pick. Dallas would be interesting. Would they get rid of Dak? Idk. It's highly unlikely Dallas will be that bad.
They move off their starters but it’s massive dead cap hits to do so for 2024/2025 if they split them. So not exactly surrounding your young QB a lot of help for their first couple of years on that cheap contract.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think it's alright as a Bears fan. I would trade one of those 2024 picks for immediate help on the line. Either line honestly. Hope committing to Fields won't bite them in the ass.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it's alright as a Bears fan. I would trade one of those 2024 picks for immediate help on the line. Either line honestly. Hope committing to Fields won't bite them in the ass.
They signed a veteran OG Davis from Ten. Orlando Brown is still out there if they wish to go tackle. At 9-11 is when OT should be coming off the board if the bears want to go young.

LV has Miller, Atl has MacCreary, sea has Cross, Det has Sewell and a vet. So no OT should go before Chicago picks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
this is looking beautiful.

Not.
Carolina, it was going to be rough. I mean, you don't have a top WR for Young as you moved Moore. Limited weapons, and Carolina is also eating $55 mill in dead money. CMC, Moore, Chosen count almost $43 mill. So, couldn't go out in free agency and help the QB.

Once the deal was announced, could almost bet on a top 10 pick going to Chicago.

I see winnable games for Carolina after their bye vs Houston, Indy, Chicago, and later in their schedule with home games vs their divisional foes in ATL and TB. And maybe Ten if they start Willis/Levis over Tanny in week 12.

But, based on 2022 standings, anything at 6 wins are less was a top 7 pick. So, don't see really many chances of getting above that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
if he’s your guy then he’s your guy. Young was their guy. If he ends up being that then the trade was worth it. Frank Reich didn’t want to go through another song and dance with quarterbacks.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If I was the Bears, I would have drafted the best rookie Jalen Carter with the 9th pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If I was the Bears, I would have drafted the best rookie Jalen Carter with the 9th pick.
And you’d be crying about not protecting fields. Young QBs need OL over a Defence.

if he’s your guy then he’s your guy. Young was their guy. If he ends up being that then the trade was worth it. Frank Reich didn’t want to go through another song and dance with quarterbacks.
Waiting and hoping not really a solution, which is why they made the trade. They made their choice. But I don’t think Young was that great a prospect to give up the farm on.

Didn’t love the QB classes the past 2 seasons but really, not like those year 3 guys in Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones are looking great either.

Reality is that most of these QBs are probably going to be off the level of Cousins, Dak, Carr, Jimmy, Tanny, etc. main benefit of having that level of a rookie contract is saving close to $30 mill in cap to allocate to a couple of other positions to help the QB.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
And you’d be crying about not protecting fields. Young QBs need OL over a defence. ...
What a stupid comment. Jalen is the best rookie, the Bears don't develop QBs, DJ Moore is not an OL, and defense not only stops offense, but it also keeps them off the field.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What a stupid comment. Jalen is the best rookie, the Bears don't develop QBs, DJ Moore is not an OL, and defense not only stops offense, but it also keeps them off the field.
Moore isn’t but Wright whom they drafted over Carter is a OT.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
They're 0 - 4 and Carter is the best rookie. Just admit you're wrong.
You're missing the point StreetHawk was making.

The moment the Bears traded the pick, they invested in Justin Fields. If you're investing in a young QB, nothing is more important than putting him in the best possible position to succeed and finding out if he is the guy. It is the most important question to answer for any rebuilding NFL team. Period. If you don't have a QB it doesn't matter how good Carter is.

You're not winning shit without a QB and drafting Carter does not answer that QB question. The Eagles are a win-now team and already have their QB and a great OL, they can easily afford to pick a DT high. The Bears needed to either find out if Fields is the guy, which it appears is not the case, or draft his replacement. That, for them, is a more important question to answer than anything Jalen Carter can provide.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
But what are the chances he would thrive with the Bears? Their track record with QB's is less than stellar
I guess the Bears shouldn’t draft a QB again…. I mean I’ve only heard the Bears can’t develop QB’s a million times the last month. Could you imagine how idiotic it would be if the Bears passed on Caleb Williams because their track record with QB’s isn’t good lol

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If the pick ends up being #1 there will be lot of noise about this trade and for a good reason.

Lot of pressure for Young.

Young vs Caleb+ everything else they gave up

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I guess the Bears shouldn’t draft a QB again…. I mean I’ve only heard the Bears can’t develop QB’s a million times the last month. Could you imagine how idiotic it would be if the Bears passed on Caleb Williams because their track record with QB’s isn’t good lol

They probably shouldn't

Just trade for a mid tier guy and be done with it, or sign Cousins or someone similar that could be Cutler-esque

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the pick ends up being #1 there will be lot of noise about this trade and for a good reason.

Lot of pressure for Young.

Young vs Caleb+ everything else they gave up
You’re not wrong. If you’re right, then it’s not much of a risk you took.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Always the risk when you deal a future 1. And you start a rookie QB.
Rams ended up giving up #5 next year for Goff. Bears #7 for Fields. Houston #4 for Watson.

Carolina won 7 games last season, could have been 8 had Moore not taken his helmet off and they make the PAT from 33 vs 48. Did they have some basis to think they wouldn't be top 5 this season?

At worst, Carolina could have done what ATL is doing this year and start Matt Corral like ATL is doing with Ridder to see what they have. And maybe hope for the 2024 draft. But, hope isn't really a plan.

Aside from Williams, the others like Pennix, Nix, etc. may end up being more like Cousins, Tanny, Dak, Jimmy, Carr level. Which if they perform on their rookie deals saves you close to $30 million in cap per year. It's the paying them D. Jones type money that hurts on the 2nd contract.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At this point this deal looks pretty horrendous for Bears and Panthers

Stroud looks like franchise QB and the two teams that passed on him are trainwrecks
Each of those 2 teams have to really have to question their scouting and assessment of stroud. Young, his size scared me. I’d draft him if he was there but not trade up for him.

Bears, they opted to pass on him. I figured Stroud was the best guy, at least if he wasn’t elite he would be solid. Richardson the most potential but raw. Young, again the size issue. Levis the bigger arm and talent but some decision making.

Stroud, my only question was how he’d perform without elite talent around him at WR and OL.

Reactions: Voight

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Each of those 2 teams have to really have to question their scouting and assessment of stroud. Young, his size scared me. I’d draft him if he was there but not trade up for him.

Bears, they opted to pass on him. I figured Stroud was the best guy, at least if he wasn’t elite he would be solid. Richardson the most potential but raw. Young, again the size issue. Levis the bigger arm and talent but some decision making.

Stroud, my only question was how he’d perform without elite talent around him at WR and OL.
I am extraordinarily apprehensive of small QB's that don't have elite mobility.

Stroud was more projectable and is proving those that had him #1 correct thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad