Confirmed Trade: [CAR/CBJ/FLA] Max Domi (@25%) and Tyler Inamoto to CAR, Aidan Hreschuk to CBJ, Egor Korshkov and 2022 CBJ 6th to FLA

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pretty much. Florida are no worse off (Caronia would still get Domi via another tean retaining) and they get a pick. Carolina are the ones helping their rival.

I mean I would say it's more Florida helping themselves or CLB helping Carolina and Florida. Canes got who they wanted and barely gave up anything.

Reactions: DaveG

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I really do not understand this trade from the CBJ perspective but then again Jarmo has done a few trades that I did not understand and they worked out well. I guess we shall wait and see if this young guy makes it or not.

Reactions: Viqsi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It was a 3 team trade where it was always understood that Domi was going to the Canes. He wasn't traded to Florida for anything but cap purposes.

You don't seem to understand how minutes work. If you get half as many and still score 50 points, that is insanely good productivity. Huge value for a team.
1st, if Florida thought he was any good they wouldn't have facilitated trade. 3 way trade can't happen with only 2 teams. Panthers made it happen because they wanted it to happen. Because they don't think Domi will be of significant help to Carolina.

And 2nd, you don't seem to understand how minutes work. Teams play their best players more. If they thought Domi was more than fringe guy, CBJ woulda played him more. They knew he was marginal guy who put up some assists but otherwise fairly useless so they sheltered him and he got points by way of unsustainable on-ice shooting percentage. And then they cashed in on him by getting what little they could for limited player who almost nobody really wanted.

But I do acknowledge that Carolina is generally pretty bright team and they obviously see something in him, so I could be selling him short.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
1st, if Florida thought he was any good they wouldn't have facilitated trade. 3 way trade can't happen with only 2 teams. Panthers made it happen because they wanted it to happen. Because they don't think Domi will be of significant help to Carolina.

And 2nd, you don't seem to understand how minutes work. Teams play their best players more. If they thought Domi was more than fringe guy, CBJ woulda played him more. They knew he was marginal guy who put up some assists but otherwise fairly useless so they sheltered him and he got points by way of unsustainable on-ice shooting percentage. And then they cashed in on him by getting what little they could for limited player who almost nobody really wanted.

But I do acknowledge that Carolina is generally pretty bright team and they obviously see something in him, so I could be selling him short.
Definitely selling him short. Just because you aren't as valuable as Voracek, Bjorkstrand, Laine, or Nyquist, doesn't mean that you are garbage. The Blue Jackets are just loaded at wing and the coach happens to trust Domi somewhat less. The fact is that he was able to score points at just as high a rate as the best of them. So calling him unproductive is the most off the mark comment you could have made.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Definitely selling him short. Just because you aren't as valuable as Voracek, Bjorkstrand, Laine, or Nyquist, doesn't mean that you are garbage. The Blue Jackets are just loaded at wing and the coach happens to trust Domi somewhat less. The fact is that he was able to score points at just as high a rate as the best of them. So calling him unproductive is the most off the mark comment you could have made.
I promise you, I could have and actually have made more off the mark comments!

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Not even close. Pork and vinegar are actually complementary to each other. Pork by itself, especially darker cuts like shoulder, are often incredibly fat-rich and go well with more tart sauces.

I'm late but this is why hot sauce is so good on pizza. Can't have an intelligent conversation with someone if they don't understand the magic of pairing fats and acids.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I'm late but this is why hot sauce is so good on pizza. Can't have an intelligent conversation with someone if they don't understand the magic of pairing fats and acids.
Then, we won't be much of a friend. I'm opposed to having vinegar-related ingredients on pizza.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What exactly is wrong with Domi? Why such low return?
Very bad defensively and in contrary to popular belief not a gritty player either. Domi is a very skilled player so I thought he'd bounce back at least somewhat offensively in Columbus but apparently that hasn't happened.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Great trade for CAR, because unexpensive vs all trades made on that day. Smart from FLA to get a pick back given how much they spent before ...

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Very bad defensively and in contrary to popular belief not a gritty player either. Domi is a very skilled player so I thought he'd bounce back at least somewhat offensively in Columbus but apparently that hasn't happened.
For me the main issue with Domi in MTL was that he thinks he is a center while he actually is a winger. Not sure where he plays in CBJ though. He is not good defensively but not super bad or lazy, so I think you d notice it less on the wing. He is going to play for a contract, not impossible he makes a few decisive moves (positive or negative)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I say third line. Staal needs a better mate by his side.
Do you mean better than Niederreiter? But where does he go then, the second or the fourth line?

For all we know, Brind'Amour could just as well put him on any line for starters. You can make a more or less reasonable case for all of those options. (Kickstarting Domi with Aho, if the latter could kindly pull his head out of his ass where it currently is; improving Trocheck's or Staal's line, with Nino, Necas, Martinook et al. moving around accordingly; easing him in on Kotkaniemi's line to learn the system and also get a glimpse if those two have some chemistry going forward. And right now Rod seems to have the blender in full buzz so I wouldn't be surprised at any of these. Further hilarity from the fact that Domi has played 1C/2C once upon a time, and Stepan and Lorentz are both legit 4C as such. So go figure...)

Reactions: DaveG

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Do you mean better than Niederreiter? But where does he go then, the second or the fourth line?

For all we know, Brind'Amour could just as well put him on any line for starters. You can make a more or less reasonable case for all of those options. (Kickstarting Domi with Aho, if the latter could kindly pull his head out of his ass where it currently is; improving Trocheck's or Staal's line, with Nino, Necas, Martinook et al. moving around accordingly; easing him in on Kotkaniemi's line to learn the system and also get a glimpse if those two have some chemistry going forward. And right now the blender seems to be in full buzz so I wouldn't be surprised at any of these. Further hilarity from the fact that Domi has played 1C/2C once upon a time, and Stepan and Lorentz are both legit 4C as such. Go figure...)
Yeah, but I think Domi should be with Staal, who can make defensive plays, which the former seems to be lacking.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Yeah, but I think Domi should be with Staal, who can make defensive plays, which the former seems to be lacking.
I don't disagree about Domi's apparent defensive warts, but you just said Staal needs a better mate, now you're making a different argument.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I don't disagree about Domi's apparent defensive warts, but you just said Staal needs a better mate, now you're making a different argument.
Maybe I'm overstating Domi with respect to Niederreiter. Fourth line can be good, but I just thought third would be ideal. It's just my opinion, though.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think he will actually start with Aho and Teuvo. Rod will probably want to keep Nino with Staal as that line has been heavy and successful this last month, and he likes to play Svech away from Aho a lot to split up the lines. A lot like Boston is doing now by splitting the perfection line. So:

Domi - Aho - Teuvo
Svech - Vinny - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast
Larentz - KK - Jarvis

Reactions: teddygmr and DaveG

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I think he will actually start with Aho and Teuvo. Rod will probably want to keep Nino with Staal as that line has been heavy and successful this last month, and he likes to play Svech away from Aho a lot to split up the lines. A lot like Boston is doing now by splitting the perfection line. So:

Domi - Aho - Teuvo
Svech - Vinny - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast
Larentz - KK - Jarvis
I thought Derek Stepan would be included.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Maybe I'm overstating Domi with respect to Niederreiter. Fourth line can be good, but I just thought third would be ideal. It's just my opinion, though.
Sure, your guess is as good as anyone's. Will be interesting to see what they actually do. (And I expect it to shuffle during the season, they have plenty of figuring out in the roster right now.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I thought Derek Stepan would be included.
Why's that? You can look at it both ways. Stepan is playing better now but Lorentz is 6 years younger and under team control. Both are legit 4C as well as useful bottom 6 wingers.

Where do you put ol' Martinook, in the press box?

And who makes room when Drury gets a cup of coffee?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad