Confirmed Trade: [CAR/BUF] Jeff Skinner for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd and 6th, and Cliff Pu

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Odd that Carolina couldn’t get one of Buffalo’s three first round picks. It likely would have either been the Blues or Sharks pick, but they should have been able to get one of those for sure.

They must be really high on Pu.
That's quite possible. It sounded like they wanted players who compete hard and he certainly does that.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Reinhart hasn't busted....he's a very productive NHLer and is near the top of his class in points kind of a disappointment for #2 but he's still really young and has a long career ahead of him.

He's 4th in overall points and 8th in points per game (with a reasonable amount of games played). A middle-6 winger is a big disappointment for a 2nd overall that was supposed to be a 1/2C. If he had time and space to develop properly, he might not be what he is today.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
His PDO was a ridiculously low 94.5, lowest on the team of anyone who played significant games (at least half).
His On Ice Save Pct is the main culprit. Now, it's possible that Skinner (and his linemates) were just so putrid at D that the other team just scored at a ridiculously high shooting % (87.8 On Ice Sv%). Possible. But look at his other possession numbers, the team easily outshot the opposition when he was on the ice. Bad defense could be part of the problem, but just pure dumb luck, bad goaltending and linemates who couldn't shoot seem to be problems as well.
Skinner's expected goals against was almost 20 goals fewer than what were actually scored, so if you weight the shots for quality, it highlights that the goaltending really was to blame - allowing those same shots he did with his bad defense against league average goaltending would have given him a positive +/- and a much better PDO.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
His PDO was a ridiculously low 94.5, lowest on the team of anyone who played significant games (at least half).
His On Ice Save Pct is the main culprit. Now, it's possible that Skinner (and his linemates) were just so putrid at D that the other team just scored at a ridiculously high shooting % (87.8 On Ice Sv%). Possible. But look at his other possession numbers, the team easily outshot the opposition when he was on the ice. Bad defense could be part of the problem, but just pure dumb luck, bad goaltending and linemates who couldn't shoot seem to be problems as well.

I can honestly say that Skinner is completely useless in his own zone for long stretches...... Almost like a pp infact......

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
He's 4th in overall points and 8th in points per game (with a reasonable amount of games played). A middle-6 winger is a big disappointment for a 2nd overall that was supposed to be a 1/2C. If he had time and space to develop properly, he might not be what he is today.

He's also played on the worst offensive team in the league for the past two years. With terrible linemates until 20-30 games into this season. A player's stats don't exist in a vacuum you must realize. Stats reflect a combination the player and the situation that player is in

Reactions: DJN21

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN

He's only 22 and scored 25 goals and 50 points last year. Very likely hasn't reached his ceiling yet either, so he's about as far from a bust as it gets.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Skinner is always the most dangerous Canes player against the Jets. This is great for Buffalo. Dahlin and Skinner is a pretty f***ing good summer for that team.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Buffalo did not acquire Skinner just to play here until the TDL and then try and move him for a 4th 1st round pick. Botterill targeted him for instant help and he also is eyeing a long term deal for him.

Skinner and Eichel will be an amazing duo. I can see Skinner popping a few 40 goal seasons with Eichel setting him up and I also think Skinner will help Jack hit 50-60 assists in a season by converting the numerous chances Jack sets up.

Non Sabre fans don't understand how many times Jack Eichel would set up his teammates for surefire tap in goals, or he would get the goalie down and out leaving the top half totally open and his teammates would flub tap in gimme goals or rip a shot into a goalies chest instead of half of an empty net. Just between Sheary, Skinner and Dahlin, that's 3 talented players who will convert those numerous Eichel goal creations. Jack and Skinner have me real excited for this season. If both healthy I expect 35-25-60 from Skinner and 30-60-90 from Eichel. Whoever the other winger is on a Skinner-Eichel line will also pop in 25+ goals, be it Reinhart, Okposo or Sheary.

And not to mention OT. Eichel-Dahlin-Skinner. My god. 3 incredible skaters who are going to soar up and down that open ice. I cannot wait for the first time Eichel and Skinner go in 2 on 0-1 in OT and create a beautiful tic tac goal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
And once again, they didn't have any serious depth at those times. Now they do.

Berglund and Sobotka are in the twilight of their careers. Sheary is a very suspect player, not sure how long a career he'll have in the league and how he will perform away from Crosby and the insulation in Pittsburgh.

Skinner is a good pick up but besides that I'm not sure what this 'serious depth' is.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
He had 39 points in his last 44 games. Does that sound like middle six winger production to you?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Good but strange trade for Buffalo. Dirt cheap price but not really a fox for any of their major team problems.

And looks like another example of Canes fans overrating an asset

When Scott Wilson (14 pts last year) and/or Zemgus Girgensons (15 pts. last year) are penciled into your top 6 LW, then top 6 LW is a HUGE need.

Buffalo has also been the 2nd lowest scoring team over the past 3 seasons, and the 2nd lowest scoring team at even strength over that same time.

Over the last 3 seasons, Skinner is tied (with Connor McDavid) for 7th in even strength scoring and 12th in goals.

He fills a huge need for Buffalo.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
If Buffalo do not get him to resign then this trade do no make much sense for buffalo. They are not in a contender mode, so why would they need rentals? But if they get him to resign for a decent contract then it is a great trade for buffalo.

Since he was sold as rental value, i am surprise that no contender was all over it?

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
That and he's a locker room cancer.

I know I'm a random ass guy posting this but I've played with Skinner/Hamiltons older bro/seguin/mcfarland/matt o conner/ toffoli...etc etc I'm a 92 played in the gthl AAA many years ago with all these goofs.

To hear out of everyone I've played with that Skinner is a locker room cancer is hilarious. The guy was the quietest guy on any team he played on and also the nicest. He took goddamn figure skating as a kid and got ripped for it(turned out to be a blessing in disguise because he was the best skater out of everyone).

Skinner is a great person and I'm glad he succeeded.

Seguin on the other hand I dont have as kind words for as a person.

Again random ass guy here take it for what you want but skinner is a beaut.

-A leafs fan

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I wonder if Carolina has another move lined up to add a forward for the roster?
Move a D man for something up front?

Just doesn't make sense to me to move Skinner and not get someone to replace him.

Aho, Sebastian
$925,000
LW
RFA - 1
Staal, Jordan
$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
Teräväinen,Teuvo
$2,860,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Ferland, Micheal
$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Rask, Victor
$4,000,000
C
UFA - 4
Svechnikov,Andrei
$925,000
RW
RFA - 3
Martinook,Jordan
$1,800,000
LW
UFA - 1
Necas, Martin
$894,166
C
RFA - 3
Williams, Justin
$4,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
McGinn, Brock
$887,500
LW
RFA - 1
Di Giuseppe,Phillip
$750,000
LW
RFA - 1
Zykov, Valentin
$675,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
(Stolen from someone's predictions)

Could really use a W or two.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
A 33-year old who scored 44 goals over the past two years is worth a 1st rd pick with 4 months left on his contract (Nash).
A 32-year old who scored more than 50 pts only twice over the past 6 years (lockout prorated included) is worth a 1st rd pick with 4 months left on his contract (Stastny).
A bottom-six guy who has fewer goals in his career than Skinner had had in three single seasons is worth a 1st rd pick (Hartman).
A 30-year old third-line center is worth a 1st rd pick (Brassard).
A 27-year old who scored 45 goals over the past two years and could easily be predicted an overpaid bust is worth a 1st rd pick (Tatar).

A 26-year old who has 61 goals over the past two years, three 30+ goal seasons, and 10 months left, is NOT worth a 1st? Okay, Buffalo would be dumb to give up their own 1st rd pick, but don't tell me that Carolina couldn't have at least got the picks from San Jose or St.Louis. No matter how you judge Skinner as a player, this is just a bad trade if you put it into perspective, period.

Also, I think it sends a completely wrong message to the team. This young Canes team was supposed to push for the playoffs, and now they sell one of the best forwards without getting a roster player in return? Is the GM signalling his players "go easy guys, let's go for another high pick"?
Carolina was my (not-so-much)-darkhorse for a wildcard spot, but if this is their philosophy, 7th or 8th in the Metro seems more likely.
Buffalo, on the other hand, I predict to finish 5th in the Atlantic in 2019 and in the playoffs in 2020 (especially if they can resign Skinner).

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
A 33-year old who scored 44 goals over the past two years is worth a 1st rd pick with 4 months left on his contract (Nash).
A 32-year old who scored more than 50 pts only twice over the past 6 years (lockout prorated included) is worth a 1st rd pick with 4 months left on his contract (Stastny).
A bottom-six guy who has fewer goals in his career than Skinner had had in three single seasons is worth a 1st rd pick (Hartman).
A 30-year old third-line center is worth a 1st rd pick (Brassard).
A 27-year old who scored 45 goals over the past two years and could easily be predicted an overpaid bust is worth a 1st rd pick (Tatar).

A 26-year old who has 61 goals over the past two years, three 30+ goal seasons, and 10 months left, is NOT worth a 1st? Okay, Buffalo would be dumb to give up their own 1st rd pick, but don't tell me that Carolina couldn't have at least got the picks from San Jose or St.Louis. No matter how you judge Skinner as a player, this is just a bad trade if you put it into perspective, period.

I don't think you can compare offseason trades and trade deadline trades. Prices at TD are generally always higher due to a number of factors like the caphit being much lower, important playoff push, maybe the market is really limited in terms of options etc. I mentioned it before but Jordan Eberle is a pretty decent comparable for Skinner in this case.

And no they probably couldn't get that 1st round pick from STL or SJS. The Blues are absolutely stacked offensively already and Sharks committed to Kane.

Also, I think it sends a completely wrong message to the team. This young Canes team was supposed to push for the playoffs, and now they sell one of the best forwards without getting a roster player in return? Is the GM signalling his players "go easy guys, let's go for another high pick"?
Carolina was my (not-so-much)-darkhorse for a wildcard spot, but if this is their philosophy, 7th or 8th in the Metro seems more likely.
Buffalo, on the other hand, I predict to finish 5th in the Atlantic in 2019 and in the playoffs in 2020 (especially if they can resign Skinner).

This I can agree with however, maybe it would've been wiser to keep Skinner and maybe sell him off at the deadline if they're not in a good position, maybe even getting a better return at that point as well. BUT, we as fans obviously have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe they just really felt they had to move on and wanted a clean slate and a proper locker room culture change to start the season. Factors like that could've come into play as well.

I think locker room culture is arguably more important than individual players, you look at a team like Vegas and see what a good culture can do for you and then you look at other teams with far more stacked rosters failing consistently. Skinner has been part of Carolina for 8 years and never gone to the playoffs. Not his fault probably but sometimes a fresh start is what both parties need.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Blues should have offered Steen and a 2nd or two, if that's all it took to get a guy who scores 30 goals a year basically on his own.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

While I agree the return for Skinner was disappointing, I think you are off base on the message sending part. Because that’s exactly what this was, sending a message that if you aren’t committed to playing the game the way the team/coach wants you to, then there’s no place for you.

Rod Brind’Amour was very involved in this decision and Rod knows more about Skinner than anybody else, having been the assistant coach for 7 of Skinner’s 8 pro seasons. The fact that he didn’t want him on the team is telling and a big reason they moved him now for less rather than wait for the deadline. In the end, Brindy may be wrong, but I don’t see this as a bad message at all.

Skinner is an elite goal scorer and by all accounts a good guy, but he also didn’t put in the effort on both ends of the ice and at times was a very selfish player and that’s the main reason he was traded. He has shown at times that he can put in the effort on both ends and be more of a team player so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him do that in Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad